Author Topic: Legacy Wave 5 - A New Hope  (Read 63219 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Legacy Wave 5 - A New Hope
« Reply #255 on: February 3, 2009, 09:54 AM »
....the pics online haven't been stellar.  I've seen pics that didn't do the figure justice before, though.

Shameless plug

Question Scott. Do Wioslea and Ben share the same torso mold? If so, I assume they have unique neck peg sculpts?
« Last Edit: February 3, 2009, 10:01 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #256 on: February 3, 2009, 10:24 AM »

Question Scott. Do Wioslea and Ben share the same torso mold? If so, I assume they have unique neck peg sculpts?

They are different...in fact Wioslea has boobs, which you can sort of see in the Wal Mart pic

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #257 on: February 3, 2009, 10:50 AM »
I just popped these babies open and I have to say every single one of them is lights out awesome. 

Luke is indeed shorter than Han...other than Luke's head sculpt sucking, it is good to finally get these out

I've wanted a Wioslea figure since around 1998 and they finally made it...she lacks some articulation but everything about her puts a smile on my face.  Her head alone is a work of absolute art

Trinto w/ pack in Dice is a nice combo platter and adds another Monster to the Mash

Brainiac has been another long time want of mine and he is perfect.  I absolutely love him and the bonus Cantina table is added icing

Old Ben is by far the star of the wave IMO and they really have made the world's most perfect 3-3/4" action figure.  I really can't say enough other than the odd neck peg which Jayson pointed out, it works on every single level.  The table is just another awesome bonus to the wave and the figure.  I've got to buy about 7 of this bad boy to replace each and every ANH Ben I have.

And I can't forget the Jawa and WED...holy **** both of them are great and the WED for being more or less a pack in is another work of art on par with the multi armed FX figures.  Love the gun and accessories on the Jawa too.

Spacetrooper is probably my least favorite of the wave and that isn't saying much because he is pretty damn awesome too and I love that they gave him Joe Johnston's face in a nod to complete movie accuracy

ABout my only beef of the wave is they gave us an AOTC droid over another ANH astromech like R2-A5 who is in the same scene as R5-A2

This really is my all time favorite wave and I think Hasbro has been hitting a lot of home runs lately

I like hearing the old guys from this hobby fired up about it.  Makes me remember happier times.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 3, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for the mini reviews Scott.  I went ahead and ordered this wave from HTS this week, getting impatient for some more OT product :).  Glad to hear the strong reviews for the Obi-Wan figure.  That's a character that really needed an "ultimate" version, with the previous VOTC one coming up short.  Sounds like a great wave.  I agree with Jesse, its fun to hear the positive vibes for the Star Wars line lately.  Hasbro really has been doing a pretty good job lately it seems, and I hope it continues this year.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 5, 2009, 09:26 AM »
I love this wave. I found and opened the rest up yesterday and couldn't stop messing around with them.

Luke/Han Stormtrooper - Although I made my own, these are slightly better. While the modification to the holster is slight and not what I expected, it is actually a subtle and vast improvement. Also, it seems the legs on both of these are more solid than the TAC Stormtroopers.

Spacetrooper - Very cool, but it's a tad disappointing that it doesn't use the new holster, especially since he can use it more that the Luke and Han.

Jawa/Droid - this might be the figure/set of the wave. Both are just cool as all get out. What's weird is that the droid seems a tad too big whereas the droid with the previous Jawa seems a tad too small.

Ben - about as perfect a figure as you can make and hands down the ultimate "old" Ben.

Wiosia - well done, but are those legs from the concept Grevious figure?

Pons - previously commented on, well done.

Trinto/Dice - Again, nicely done, great sculpts and paint jobs. Some are going to complain about Trino's lack of ball jointed elbows, but that doesn't bother me.

BAD's - best BAD R units to date.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2009, 10:02 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 5, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I finally found this wave today at lunch.

And I love it.

Where in the films does R2-N6 appear?  The wookipedia thing I found says Episode II?
« Last Edit: February 5, 2009, 06:12 PM by Rob »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #261 on: February 5, 2009, 07:09 PM »
During Anakin & Padme's arrival to Mos Espa

« Last Edit: February 5, 2009, 07:09 PM by Jayson »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 5, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Good lord you rock with the picture references!  Did you just know that or did you go looking for it?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #263 on: February 5, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Based on the Wookieepedia entry I fired up the DVD and took a screen grab of it. 8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 5, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Thanks Jayson, I thought I remembered seeing an image of him scooting around a Tatooine city, I just thought it was from A New Hope (which would make sense, given what wave this is).

One more question about these astromechs, do we already know why they have an extra set of peg holes on the sides of the body?  The legs fit in there, but I can't think of a reason why you'd attach them at the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2009, 09:01 PM by Rob »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #265 on: February 5, 2009, 10:03 PM »
I can't think of a reason why you'd attach them at the bottom.

Because kids do crazy things with their toys?

Hasbro said at some point that the extra sockets on the Astrodroids were for "added playability" for the kids so that they can make their own custom droids.

Also, the fact that Hasbro took the time to put those extra sockets on there is part of the reason that there are some hints/rumors/speculation out there that we're getting some sort of "Droid Factory" playset in the future.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #266 on: February 5, 2009, 10:24 PM »
After opening up this wave tonight, I have to say it is probably the best overall wave Hasbro has done in a long time.  An easy tie at least with TLC Wave 2, which was hands down the best ever.  With Dice, the Wed Droid and the 2 BAD's, you're getting 12 figures here.  That makes the pill of 7.50 (at Wally World) easier to swallow since it breaks down to roughly 5.00 a figure at that point (!) which of course is 1995 dollars.  Throw in the table accessories, and it's even better.  Plus the additions of the Wed droid (at last! And he's frickin' huge!) and the R5, both figs I wanted forever, and it makes a Kenner baby happy.  And whoever thought they would do Wioslea?  Much less Articulated?  And the Ben figure is a work of art.  Did I mention the Jawa?  And the Joe Johnson shout out?   ;D

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #267 on: February 5, 2009, 10:37 PM »
After Ben, I think Wioslea is my favorite figure of this wave and maybe TLC thus far, despite not having knee articulation. She is just so damn weird looking and the holes in the hood for her antennae really show they can go that extra step when they want to. The letdown of this wave is the Trinto figure due to the horrid angle cut elbow articulation. Those forearms flop around like a nudist's dork while running down the beach. They could have allocated the budget to giving him proper arms instead of making 6 posable/removable arms for Dice.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #268 on: February 5, 2009, 10:38 PM »
I hope we get some generic droid parts like the old droid factory.  Lame as it sounds I'd probably enjoy that...  I liked the old set and would love putting all these droids into a single scene type thing, actually.  Or at least some of the random extra droids that don't really have a 'theme" shelf to go onto.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 6, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Or take a cue from mighty mugs and do a blank one.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."