Author Topic: Barking dog...  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Barking dog...
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:33 AM »
So... my neighbor has rented out her house, the one almost directly behind us, to a bunch of drunk ****tards. There's nothing we can do about it, but I think a lot of us are about on our last nerve about a couple of things. The first is that they are loud and obscene - on Easter Sunday, they were outside talking about "shooting a ************"... I like watching birds, when I get off of work, and I'm so sick and tired of hearing these pretend gangsters talk about who they are going to murder. The second issue is their dog. I've never seen the dog, but it sounds like it must be in pain or something, because it is barking almost constantly... This, I feel, I can do something about.

Have you guys ever written a complaint to Animal Control over a neighbor's dog barking? My assumption is that almost everyone has had to deal with this at some point or another - what did you guys do to resolve it? Anything?

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
Re: Barking dog...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:58 PM »
This is a very interesting to me as a dog owner. I completely feel for my neighbors who have to tolerate my barking dogs. I have been very lucky so far. Like me, all of my neighbors have recognized the different sounds of my dogs' barks. They usually only bark at strangers within a house radius. They are very good at recognizing the regular people of the neighborhood and not barking at them. When my dogs do go off and bark loudly, it is because someone is actually on my property, or the property to my right or left. I am sure my neighbors would rather do w/out the barking altogether but I know that they know what the loud barking means - that a stranger is on our property. Of course it is usually the pizza guy or friends visiting or something. Thankfully it has never been a prowler (that I know of).

If I were you Angry Ewok, I would walk over there and address them face to face. Tell them your concerns about their dog and how loud they are. Whether or not they show you any respect is not in your control. Also, call the non-emergency police phone number. At least here, people are not allowed to shout profanities. The police will respond to such a complaint.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I was just about to post "Have you tried actually talking to them?" but got beaten to it.

Try that first..if it doesn't work out, it's their choice.  Move on to reporting the problem.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:23 PM »
I would pop a couple caps in the *************, and their bitch, too.

Or sue their landlord for nuisance and continuing trespass.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I can understand not wanting to go talk to pretend gangsters, lest you piss them off and the go about trying to be real gangsters and burn your house down.  Just call the police and anonymously tip them off that you regularly hear them talk about shooting people.  If the police get on their ass, they'll be gone soon enough.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:18 PM »
So... my neighbor has rented out her house, the one almost directly behind us, to a bunch of drunk ****tards. There's nothing we can do about it, but I think a lot of us are about on our last nerve about a couple of things. The first is that they are loud and obscene - on Easter Sunday, they were outside talking about "shooting a ************"... I like watching birds, when I get off of work, and I'm so sick and tired of hearing these pretend gangsters talk about who they are going to murder. The second issue is their dog. I've never seen the dog, but it sounds like it must be in pain or something, because it is barking almost constantly... This, I feel, I can do something about.

Have you guys ever written a complaint to Animal Control over a neighbor's dog barking? My assumption is that almost everyone has had to deal with this at some point or another - what did you guys do to resolve it? Anything?

Oh there's a ton you can do.  If they're loud and drunk you can start with noise complaints.  You can get their landlord in trouble.  If they're making threats, mention that to the police too.  As for the dog, you can call and report potential animal abuse and they can get in trouble for that too if anything bad is happening.

And you can do it all anonymously.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22 PM »
We have dogs, and our Rottweiler likes to bark at people walking their dogs across the street....or anyone she deems as a stranger....or doorbells.  We're very conscious of it and always get her to stop right away.

We had to call in a barking dog complaint at our old house.  The neighbors had this little yip-yip kind of dog that would bark all day...and they would put the dog out early in the morning.  We called in a barking dog complaint once and they got the message.

If I were you I'd just call in the barking dog complaint.  And if the little gangsta wannabes are still out there talking trash, buy a Rottweiler!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26 PM »
I wasn't exaggerating about my neighbors being drunken losers and wannabe gangsters - these really aren't the kind of people that a sensible person is going to approach, much less attempt to level with... so that's why I don't just speak to them. I work full time and go to school at nights - I don't want to have to worry about our property being vandalized.

I think what I'll do is write a "barking dog" complaint (anonymously) to Animal Control... wait a little while... then take a petition around to my neighbors if it continues. I'll forward that to the actual home owner, as well.

Ironically, I haven't heard any barking this evening.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:27 AM »
You don't need to do an annonymous complaint...they will not give out your name.
This is the way.

I have spoken.