Author Topic: The Celebration V Speculation Thread  (Read 43897 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: The Celebration V Speculation Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 1, 2008, 05:09 PM »
I was at the Sansweet presentation at this past week's Wizard World Chicago and Steve mentioned that they would not begin serious discussions regarding the location for Celebration V until this fall after the Clone Wars movie hits and Celebration Japan finishes. They're also looking for a new licensor to handle the event, no doubt after the sour taste in their mouths left from Gencon.

Everyone of course suggested that they have CV at the same location as WW Chicago - the Rosemont Convention Center as suggested by BrentS. The venue is certainly large enough to handle hosting CV and there are many hotels nearby - several are "connected" to the con center - and of course O'Hare Airport is just a couple miles away. Also there's a mass transit train station in walking distance which would help people out who want to visit Downtown Chicago or other tourist locations. Being in the midwest I would think works out perfectly for the majority, unlike LA last year. So yeah my vote's for Rosemont, because it fits just nicely for their needs, plus it's like 10 miles from my house.  :D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 2, 2008, 04:35 PM »
I'd be fine with Chicago, though I could understand how folks from the south would be opposed in the same way folks are opposed to the East or West coasts as being to isolated.  I didn't have that bad a time in Indy at all, so if it went back there, that'd be fine too.  Denver isn't an awful proposition to me either, but I'd be on board with Chicago as well.  Minneapolis would be ideal.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: July 7, 2008, 09:58 AM »
New rumor...

May the force be with Baltimore: City vying to host 'Star Wars' expo

"Baltimore is competing with Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis and Orlando, for the fan gathering to be known as Celebration V, said Steve Sansweet, director of content management and head of fan relations for Lucasfilm"

I guess I'm supposed to cheer for the homer/hometown choice of Minneapolis, but I'd be fine with Chicago too (it'd be a nice excuse to get to another Cubs game ;)).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 7, 2008, 10:06 AM »
to be held either spring 2009 or spring 2010.

Hope they don't give a 5 month notice like Celebration Japan!  ::)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #34 on: July 7, 2008, 10:07 AM »
Baltimore getting closer to NY makes me happy.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: July 7, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Yeah, I can't gripe with Baltimore, living in Pittsburgh and all.  Not much different than driving to Indiana really, but it's a drive I've done a lot in the past and is pretty quick for me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #36 on: July 7, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Yeah Jeff, I suppose I should be rooting for Minneapolis, but I'd rather have to travel. It won't be nearly as entertaining an experience if I sleep at home with the 'rents and drive half an hour to get to it. :P
« Last Edit: July 7, 2008, 03:06 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 7, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Yeah Jeff, I suppose I should be rooting for Minneapolis, but I'd rather have to travel. It won't be nearly as entertaining an experience if I sleep at home with the 'rents and drive half an hour to get to it. :P

You can fly up here and make the 7 hour drive down with me if it makes you happier. 

New rumor...

May the force be with Baltimore: City vying to host 'Star Wars' expo

"Baltimore is competing with Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis and Orlando, for the fan gathering to be known as Celebration V, said Steve Sansweet, director of content management and head of fan relations for Lucasfilm"

I'm ok with all of those except for Orlando really.  I can see the point of putting it there, more folks could make it a family thing and then leave the non-SW fans with stuff to do.  Still, a lot more expensive for me to get to.  I'd be fine with any of the first four listed.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: July 7, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Yeah I'm not an Orlando fan myself...  I'm more a Chicago fan/Baltimore fan really.  Those two seem ideal...  Despite the drive, I'd say Chicago's still the best option.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 7, 2008, 09:10 PM »
If it's in 2010 then I would not mind it being somewhere outside of L.A.  However if it's in 2009 I would like it to be in L.A since I won't have vacation time to fly out east somewhere.  If it's Batlmore I would love to take time away from the Con to visit other sites around the town and state.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #40 on: July 8, 2008, 12:30 AM »

You can fly up here and make the 7 hour drive down with me if it makes you happier. 

Sold. ;D
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 8, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Ok then, but we can't start drinking in the car until we're out of Canada.   :-X

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 9, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Let's go MPLS.  Chicago would be great too.  I have had enough of Indy. 

Offline Phatty

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Imperial Ship Yards
« Reply #43 on: July 9, 2008, 10:22 AM »
The Indianapolis Convention Center is contracted through Gen Con to run their activities, so I can see that being out unless they find some other venue.  I live in Indiana, but NW Indiana, only 30-45 minutes from downtown Chicago.  I'd love for it to hit Chi-Town so I don't have to get a hotel (anyone's welcome to pitch a tent in my backyard!), and I think that McCormack Place is a much better location for it than rosemont.  I've been to Wizard World Chicago for the past 5 years, and even though they do have a couple other rooms available for activities, I just don't think it's big enough.  With McCormack Place, you have their parking, plus overflow on the lot across the street and Soldier Field.  It's a couple miles from Michigan Avenue, Grant Park, Navy Pier, beaches, The Shedd Aquarium, and much more.  I wouldn't be opposed to Minneapolis, Indy, or maybe even Baltimore.  I've never gotten the chance to attend any of the Celebrations (even with 2 being a mere 2 hours away!), so I'm really pining for a Chicago location!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 9, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Let's go MPLS.  Chicago would be great too.  I have had enough of Indy. 

Touche

Minneapolis would be sweet because then I don't have to spend a lot on travel expenses. They have the following locations that could work for hosting

Minneapolis Convention Center
Target Center (Timberwolves home)
Metrodome (Twins will be in new park in 2010)
Excel Energy Center (Wild Home)
St. Paul River Center

Of all of them "The X" is the best choice. Considering it is hosting the Republican National Convention in 6 weeks this is a great way for the Twin Cities to kick some ass over the rest.

Chicago or Indianapolis wouldn't be a problem for me either. The only problem I have is with Chicago Traffic; otherwise Orlando is a definite NO, and the only reason I would go to Baltimore is to double up on some baseball out there.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2008, 10:56 AM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!