Author Topic: The Celebration V Speculation Thread  (Read 43891 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The Celebration V Speculation Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 2, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Chicago is a direct flight for me, but would still prefer Minneapolis for personal reasons. 

But I'm only going if Colman is going.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #61 on: August 2, 2009, 06:41 PM »
Denver....it' been there before and it should be again!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: August 2, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Denver....it' been there before and it should be again!

You won't hear me complaining... :P
"This is the way."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 8, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Sansweet is going to Chicago Comic-Con

Think the reason they didn't announce the date/place during SDCC was because they wanted to wait 2 weeks and announce the date/place in the actual place C5 will be?  Makes you wonder, don't it!  ;)   :P

Nope, still nada. Reading over at RS still no location or date yet.  ::)

Tho it does appear they showed a logo with Boba Fett behind a large red "V".

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 9, 2009, 01:08 PM »
I've been checking the event calenders in the cities that are reportedly in contention.  No sign of anything being firmed up yet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2009, 11:58 PM »
This Nugget about Orlando was posted over at Rebelscum...  Though it just says they're bidding for it, nothing else really.

But it gives possible dates...

Some thoughts:

-August in Orlando?  Not exactly where I want to be, and that would probably be a big determining factor in whether or not I would even go.  If I want hot, humid weather in the middle of August...  I'll stay in Pittsburgh I think.

-Orlando?  I know some think it's an ideal location, but I disagree.  I'm not a fan of the "busy" atmosphere of Orlando...  It's a major vacation destination for all the other crap there, and conventions just strike me as having to fight your way through everything else in Orlando to go to a show...  I don't know.  Nothing I'm really interested in doing. 

Will people really enjoy going to Disney World (or any of the other junk down there) AND the show?  I don't think many will, but maybe I'm wrong.  I really would rather just go see a city that isn't necessarilly a tourist trap unto itself, and go for the convention and just enjoy the city while I'm there.

-I think I'm pretty well established that if it's not an easy enough drive, I won't go.  Flying's a hastle these days, and I'd rather cruise out to Chicago (which isn't a short drive, but it's easier than Florida) than try to trek down South like that.

More power to those that want to go...  If it were in Orlando though, I wouldn't view it much different than LA really, just a lot closer.  I believe I'd pass on that, barring some astoundingly awesome news I couldn't resist seeing/attending.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I vote for Charlotte - you just can't beat good ole Southern Hospitality. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Orlando has a lot going for it.  It's got LOADS of hotels.  The convention center is tremendous.  There's plenty of airlines that fly directly there.  There's theme parks for people who want to make their celebration trip an actual vacation.  It's very family friendly.  And believe it or not, Florida knows a little bit about air conditioning during the summer.

I think Orlando stands a very good chance of getting the show.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 04:44 PM »
And believe it or not, Florida knows a little bit about air conditioning during the summer.

Which is great, till the non-vampires decide they don't want to be inside 24/7 and want to wander.  The heat just isn't my bag...  A big reason I always hated traveling to the South I guess.

I've visited Florida a lot for fun and work, but when it was for fun I stuck to the fall time, and a couple winter trips...  It avoided some of the crowding down there, at least back then anyway, and the weather was a little better...  Like I said, if i wanted hot and sticky weather, I'd stick to Pittsburgh in August, as that's bad enough.

I'm sure Orlando's probably the top East Coast venue right now in the running...  Baltimore keeps getting mentioned by people too.

I'm sticking with hoping it goes to Chicago though.  Not a tremendous drive, and I'm a big fan of the idea of things being more accessible to the majority than not.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 2, 2009, 04:35 PM »
And Chicago doesn't get hot in August?

Chicago may be centrally located from a geographic standpoint, but I think that Celebration IV was a perfect demonstration of how a truly big city can kill the community vibe of a Star Wars celebration.  While both Indianapolis's convention center and the Gen Con people were not up to the task, Indy had something going for it in terms of a centralized feel and sense of community.  The area immediately around the convention center was very much part of the celebration spirit, with the restaurants around it filled with people from celebration.  That spirit wasn't to be found in Los Angeles, as people were spread across a much wider area, needing shuttle bus service to get to and from the convention center to hotels.  And downtown LA was just terrible.  Now is the area in Chicago near the McCormick center any better?  That's a better question for people who have attended trade shows in Chicago or are familiar with the immediate surroundings.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: October 3, 2009, 03:22 AM »
I'd agree with the sentiments on LA, that sounds fair, but Chicago's a completely different set-up too, having traveled there for business and things in the past, and from what I've heard of their con centers (both of them, actually).  Chicago's just a different city than LA overall as I understand it.  I'm always curious to hear what the natives think but I've heard good things from CorranHorn on the con centers there.

Does Chicago get hot?  Sure...  And so does Pittsburgh, but if you asked me if I wanted to spend a Star Wars convention in August heat in Florida, or in August heat in a Northern city, I'll take the Northern city and my chances on it not being in the 90's and 100's with 90% humidity every day...  :)  I've always taken vacations to Florida in the fall though because I had to travel there for a while in the Summer and hated it, but it wasn't so bad later in the year...  Just not a place I enjoyed in general though, but that could also be the crowds down there in the Summer also, that I had to contend with.

It's funny but the only West Coast show other than SDCC that I think I'd want to attend would be a cele in Vegas...  Nice enough weather, lots to do.  Not a very family-friendly place though.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2009, 03:34 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #71 on: October 3, 2009, 03:51 AM »
Now that his Olympic bid failed maybe Obama will make a bid for Chicago to host Celebration V.

:P
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: October 3, 2009, 03:54 AM »
Chicago's desperate for an influx of unchecked nerd-cash.  Rob just isn't cutting it.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 3, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I'd really like to see it in the Midwest.  I'm going no matter where it is as the wardon here at home has authorized a weekend furlow once C5 happens.

I'm just hopeful that Medicom will have an exclusive C5 Kubrick that I can get my hands on...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 4, 2009, 01:55 AM »
Chicago is a direct flight for me, but would still prefer Minneapolis for personal reasons. 

But I'm only going if Colman is going.

If you and Colman go, then me and Shannon's shirt are going!

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(