Author Topic: The Official HP and the Order of the Phoenix discussion thread **Spoilers**  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Well, its about 13 hours away from the new book being released so I figured a thread was in order.  There was some rumblings about this book in the "What are you reading now" thread, but figured this book, with all the hype, warranted its own thread.

I won't be picking up the book at midnight tonight but will go out to Target tomorrow morning and pick a copy up.  (I believe its on sale for $14, which is more than 50% off)

I still have to finish the book I'm reading now, but will start HP & tOotP soon after that's finished.

Anyone else as excited about this as I am?  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
I won't be standing in line picking it up tonight but I am looking forward very much to the new story.  All accounts sounds promising.  I loved Goblet since she finally got away from the formulaic stories of the first three.  Should be great!  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
My wife reserved her copy at Borders like 3 years ago, or sumthin'...   :P  Maybe more like 3 months, but it seems like forever.  So she'll be picking hers up the second it hits, and devouring it in within a few days I'm sure.  She'll want to pass it off to me, but since I never quite got around to reading the 2nd or 3rd books, I'll have to go back and check those out first...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for making it a point that there could be spoilers here. Good ol Bounty Hunter GNT, great mod that he is over at RS, posted what was, in my opinion, a VERY big spoiler, completely without warning, in the middle of a Harry Potter thread. My young cousin was here and read it, and is quite upset. Im hoping it proves to be false, but I guess I wont find out for a few more hours ;)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
I've also read the first 4 books and am very excited about it.  I'm avoiding all internet articles about it so far.  Well, except the one about the warehouse being broken into.  

They kinda got away from being true childrens books with the last book, Goblet.  It became a little more interesting of course, but when I have kids I might have to hold off that 4th book for a while.  No nightmares!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
I don't own or have not read any of the books yet but did really enjoy both movies. I'll be picking up this book in the morning too and will probably start reading the series soon.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Hey Mikey is this Target deal a nationwide thing??? I hpe so cause that is cheap. I payed the full price last time, Only to see it a whole lot cheaper a couple of days later.
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
I just spent the last 2 hours at Barnes & Noble waiting with my wife to get her new Harry Potter book.  The place was packed to the brim of people.  Since we were one of the first few in line without the book being pre-ordered, she got her book paid for by 12:05am.  Not too bad for not having it pre-ordered I think.   8)
dustrho

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Well, just came back from Wal Mart to pick up my copy of Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix. It wasn't too crowded, well it was, but the line for the book wasn't too long. It was only 17.95 for the book. But I asked a red vest and he sid that if I come back with my recept and an add from another store tat they would give me the diference if the book is sold cheaper elsewhere. I won't be able to get into the book until Thursday, that's the last day of class, then that book will be read. :D
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Went to Barnes and Noble, it was packed, we wanted to get more than what we preordered, but would have been forever waiting. We got out at 12:30, so we stopped off at Kroger (a scalper tried to sell me a copy of HP in front of B&N, said he got them at Kroger. Needless to say, I didnt buy it off of him, walked into B&N and quickly told the manager what the guy was doing lol). Kroger had a couple hundred copies, and absolutely no wait whatsoever. 17.99 with the Plus Card. :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
I ordered the whole series of books at amazon.  My work had them in the back locked in the computer room for $22.95.  I scanned the last page of it to look at what happens and see what happens at the end (see if GNT was right or not). ::)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Well, I am just over 100 pages in to the story and had a hard time putting down to do some work on the computer.  It re-introduces some older characters as well as a few new ones.  I won't say anything else (even though the spoiler sign is in the top post'm able to get back to it!!

($16.97 and no line at Wal-mart ;D)
Beth

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
I finished reading HP today, I read about half yesterday and half today, instead of doing my reading for school.  I'm a fast reader.  As usual, all the characters get a little more depth to them, and some older characters are back
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Did anyone get one that was missing pages:
"The release of Potter V was not flawless. Some stores put the book on sale before its June 21 publication date and a seller in Lynchburg, Va., Givens Books, discovered that more than 40 of its copies were missing 33 pages. Scholastic Inc., the U.S. publisher of Potter, said the books would be replace"

I wonder how many of the books have missing pages that are out there.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Started it yesterday and am about 280 pages in.  Rowling's writing style is like crack its so addictive.  I cannot put these books down.  It finally happened when I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore  :(

Mild Spoilers

1.  Harry's has alot of weight on his shoulders and it definitely shows.  His angst is very apparent in a few scenes

2.  Sirius family tree was a shocker.

3.  I think Aunt Petunia knows more than she lets on.

4.  The new Defense against the Dark Arts teachers is a wench.

That's all for now, I'll keep posting once I read more.  I have a softball game so I probably won't be reading much  
Common sense isn't so common