Author Topic: Vacuum Cleaners  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Vacuum Cleaners
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I was just wondering what sorts of vacuums you guys have.  We've always bought what I guess you'd call the "cheaper" versions, usually under $100, and the one we're currently on seems to be on the downslide.  The Mrs. wants to get a "good" vacuum (she has her eyes on a Dyson), but we've just never spent that much on a vacuum cleaner before.  I was curious what types of vacuums you guys have (or have had), and what you might recommend.  Does anyone here own a Dyson, and if so, are they any good?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Vacuum Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:23 AM »
The Mrs. and I went through this not too long ago when we needed to replace our dying Kenmore ($200) canister vacuum. We vowed never to buy one of the canister-types again stemming from having to empty that canister and deal with the mushroom cloud of dirt/dust that the process produces.

We again bought a Kenmore bag vacuum in the $300 range and it's been the best we've ever had.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:25 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:56 AM »

I'm sorry...someone had to do it...
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53 AM »
I jacked my girlfriend's Dyson. I enjoy it.

On a side note, i never expected to discuss the type of vacuum cleaner i have here.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:30 PM »
I have a Husky that is predominately indoors, and her last round of shedding forced me to retire my old vacuum and get a new one. I was willing to spend the money on a Dyson if it would take care of my fur problem, but the more user reviews I read about them, the less sure I became. There's a lot of negative reviews on Consumer Reports that made me really leery of dropping 500 bucks on a vacuum. While I was researching Dysons, the Bissell Pet Eraser kept popping up with amazing reviews and a really reasonable price. I ended up getting one of them instead, and have nothing but great things to say about it. It does an fantastic job of picking up fur, and has some really useful attachments. Best $150 I've spent this year.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51 PM »
I like my Kirby.  There's a reason they use them to clean hotels and whatnot.

May not look like a sleek Dyson, but they're built to last and suck with the best of them.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:51 PM by ruiner »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:04 PM »
For what it's worth, we have hardwood floors throughout the house, except in the master bedroom.  We have an el cheapo Hoover windtunnel (Big Lots refurb for about 65 bucks) for that room and for the area rugs.  It's kind of piece of crap, but I'm not going to buy something else for those two little jobs.

The thing about hardwood is, you realize how filthy your carpets must have been...I swear we sweep up about a cup of filth every day or so.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.