Author Topic: Legacy Wave 6 - The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 181759 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 6 - The Empire Strikes Back (Spring 2009)
« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Bought the Ugnaught and Captain Needa at Target today.

The Ugnaught is **** ugly, which is awesome. His outfit is super detailed, which I was really impressed with. The little carbon freezing console he comes with is neat too. It makes me look forward to Version 2, which looks even better. It also makes me want Hasbro to make that creepy human Ugnaught guy to follow them through the hallway in my Cloud City diorama.

Captain Needa is SUPERB. They've finally made a definitive Imperial Officer without the ridiculous wide leg stance and stupid swivel elbows. Some features that stand out are of course the level of articulation, the removable cap (wasn't expecting that), the really great Needa likeness, and best of all the SEPARATELY SCULPTED RANK BADGE!!!! I can already see Hasbro re-releasing this figure a gazillion times; all they have to do is sculpt a new head and rank badge and it's Piett or Sheckil or Lennox and so on. And I don't mind this one bit. I will buy every re-release of this figure, it's really, really good. Hasbro, you have my permission to sell me this figure over and over and over again. Start with Piett, please.

So far I've bought 3/6 of the figures from this wave, and I have to say I'm really impressed. It's the first new ESB (my all-time favorite movie) stuff we've gotten in a LONG time (since fall 2007 I think) and it's really nice to see these classic characters get the quality treatment Hasbro's been consistently delivering in the last few waves. Great, great stuff. :)

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline I Just Sithed My Pants

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Picked up palpatine and leia at target today.  they had all of the new wave except luke.  I have a feeling the ugnaughts and hoth soldiers will be the peg warmers this wave though.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Oh btw, the leia was pretty basic looking, nothing spectular.  I was impressed with Palpatine, even if it didn't look like him as he appeared in ESB.  He looks more like a EU Palpatine or even a Palpatine clone, but I still like it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2009, 09:52 PM »
I have a feeling the ugnaughts and hoth soldiers will be the peg warmers this wave though.

???

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2009, 09:54 PM »
At $8 each they're all peg-warmer candidates IMO.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2009, 12:12 AM »
Has anyone found the Hoth Soldier with his skirt at retail yet?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23 AM »
i know but kids will tend to go for the lukes and leias and emperors.  There were even kids going through them when I was there, and they're mom asked them if they wanted the ugnaught and they just ignored them trying to go for palpatine (which i grabbed).  and of course they wont sell as much with an 8 dollar price tag, but parents will still buy them to shut up their kids.  and i'm just saying we'll be seeing ugnaughts next year still hanging up but there will no sign of palpatine or luke.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2009, 12:51 AM »
i know but kids will tend to go for the lukes and leias and emperors.  There were even kids going through them when I was there, and they're mom asked them if they wanted the ugnaught and they just ignored them trying to go for palpatine (which i grabbed).  and of course they wont sell as much with an 8 dollar price tag, but parents will still buy them to shut up their kids.  and i'm just saying we'll be seeing ugnaughts next year still hanging up but there will no sign of palpatine or luke.

I've got to disagree with you on that, at least on Palpy. I have no desire to buy that figure, and it that seems to be the general sentiment around the boards. It looks like the total turd in the wave. That and Palpy figures traditionally haven't sold through very well, at least around here.

I'll agree that the Ugnaughts may sit for awhile, they look like nice figures but at $8 for that small a piece of plastic, I wouldn't think they'd move very fast, especially considering the POTF2 version sat for awhile. The Hoth trooper is easily the highlight of the wave. He won't last for long, even at $8 I'd expect him to move faster than anything in the wave.
"This is the way."

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 27, 2009, 01:44 AM »
Good point ryan, I ultimately wish that they all sold well, that way Hasbro would be more willing to put out figures that haven't been released yet or badly need re-released!  and i hope im wrong about the hoth soldiers and ugnaughts, because I think they both look great and they deserve to be purchased.  :)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Luke: will sell some with collectors and a lot more with kids (he's a hero figure)
Leia: will sell some with collectors and a lot more with kids (she's a hero figure)
Palpatine: Luke: will sell some with collectors and a lot more with kids (he's a villain figure)
Hoth Rebel trooper: will sell with collectors, more so for army builders, not so much with kids
Ugnaught: will sell with collectors, more so for army builders/customizers, not so much with kids
Capt. Needa: Ugnaught: will sell with collectors, more so for customizers, not so much with kids

So balancing this out, I'd say the figures have a chance to sell fairly even across the boards due the appeal to different demographics. I'm guessing this was Habsro thinking as well.

The biggest drawback in all of this of course is the HIGH pricepoint. Long gone are the $5 or even $6 dollar SW figures.  Paying $7 was too much, $8 is just ridiculous. Hasrbo, PLEASE bring your prices down, $6.50 is a much easier pill to swallow.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2009, 10:17 AM »
I'm guessing that the Hoth Rebel Soldier is going to be the tough find with this wave.  Hopefully both of the variants will be packed out regularly so people can army build them (or even find them).  I noticed that with this entire wave up for order/preorder at HTS, the Hoth Rebel Soldier is the only one that is already sold out (before they are even technically "in stock").

I don't know how exciting they will be to kids either, its tough to say.  I just don't know how much kids are into the OT, but maybe/hopefully I'm wrong.  For the older collector set though, I think this is one of the highlight figures of the year.  I mean, we've basically gotten pretty "ultimate" version of many to most of the Imperial troops (Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Biker Scout, etc.) - but the Rebel factions have been really lacking.  I hope these Hoth Soldiers are just the start of being able to fill out the ranks on the Rebel side, with "ultimate" Fleet Troopers and Endor Soldiers not far behind.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Has anyone found the Hoth Soldier with his skirt at retail yet?

I've read numerous reports that it has been found.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Here's my thoughts on this wave (don't have them yet, but Jaysons did a great Toyguide Update which I think tells me all I need to know):

Luke - I just don't see this as being a hot figure.  I could be wrong, but a figure that looks like he has a bath robe on just doesn't seem to be something too many kids are going to go bonkers for.  I almost think this would have been better in a battle pack format, with this Luke, the Leia and the droids standing inside the Medical Frigate.  Throw in a little medical chair or something and maybe it goes over well.  Heh, maybe a monumental flop though.  I'll get one of these, no more, unless I REALLY need another B.A.D. part.

Leia - I like this because it's basically a VOTC Leia, done RIGHT.  I think this will sell ok, but not as well as a lot of other figures these days.  Is Leia all that popular with the kiddos?  Most Padme figures seem to sit a while now, so why would Leia be different?  I'll probably get 2-3 of her though.  She looks great.

Captain Needa - If history tells us anything with the past Imperials in gray suits, this one could be a pegwarmer.  The articulation is great and it's a nice sculpt, but will be really be all that popular?  Time will tell.  I'll get a few, but I'm not getting a dozen like I would have 5 years ago.

Hoth Rebel - I think it's the gem of the wave, and I think most collectors will feel the same way.  Well done army builders usually do well and I don't think this is going to be an exception... I'll probably get 10-15 of them.  It's THAT cool of a figure.

Ugnaught - I have to agree, this might not do all that well.  I will get a few of them, but I don't know that I like it as much as I hoped I would.

Palpatine - Say what you will, but this turned out a lot better than I think a lot of people had originally thought.  I've heard some great things about it from people that have bought it.  The head looks pretty good actually, and he does come with a lightsaber... seems kind of cool to me.

^ Actually, I love it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2009, 06:41 PM »
He does look better than what I thought he would. I look forward to the day we get the Saga Head Sculpt on a SA body for the ultimate Emperor. while I look forward to this wave this wave the overall Legacy line after wave 1 & 2 seemed to go downhill with the assortments, it's no wonder sales are sagging. It's almost like it's a 50/50 year. (50% Good, 50% Turdish)

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #299 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Hoth Rebel Trooper 1980-2009

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird