Author Topic: Legacy Wave 13 - Expanded Universe  (Read 122271 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Expanded Universe Wave?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 01:41 AM »
I know the KOTOR characters, but that was about it...  Actually I was kinda digging the Rahk Ghoul's because it was giving me hope of more obscure characters from KOTOR, not just important ones.  HK-47 was the highlight of the list to me...  And he's the pack-in pieces.  Go figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 02:00 AM »
From about 7th grade, until about a year ago - I must have read 50 Star Wars novels full of characters I'd be interested in buying figures of.

But all Hasbro seems to want to make is comic book and video game figures.

Why?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I think it is because it is easier to make a figure from the comics or the video games. Both comics and games are a visual media type, so there is actually one set look for the characters. Whereas for a character from the novels we all may have a different mental picture of each particular character. Settling on a final figure design that will please as many people as possible would be very difficult.
"This is the way."

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23 AM »
I am actually pretty excited for this wave, mostly because I dont know any of these characters so that way i can just pass on them completly and the money that wouldve gone into it will probably go into the MF. ::)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 11:25 PM »
I think it is because it is easier to make a figure from the comics or the video games. Both comics and games are a visual media type, so there is actually one set look for the characters. Whereas for a character from the novels we all may have a different mental picture of each particular character. Settling on a final figure design that will please as many people as possible would be very difficult.

The problem with that as I see it is that Hasbro is missing the opportunity to immortalize in plastic characters which have had a lasting impact on the EU. Take for example Talon Karrde, it took them 13 years to get to making this figure, meanwhile characters just seen in comics in the last year or two and who don't play major roles in the EU segment of the Saga (Mouse and Basso as an example) are already getting figures. Where's the love for Ulic Qel-Droma, Exar Kun, Corran Horn (what, like I wasn't going to add him?  ;D), Ysanne Isard, the Noghri, the Yuuzhan Vong, the Solo kids, etc? I think with the NJO Luke that came in the Evolutions set, a figure which I believe has no visual reference for (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Hasbro could make a litany of novel-based characters based on what reference material is available. And in many cases that material includes visual guides and CCG cards with images of the characters. Just my 2 pennies...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 11:44 PM »
I think some characters are going to get made from media that didn't really have art to it...  Keyan Farlander's getting a figure, and granted he's from a game, but he's never pictured.  The only thing he ever got a picture from was an essential guide I think, and that was for his time in the NJO series of novels...  His game character is unidentifiable and never pictured.

I think we'll see more characters from novels if they get some kind of graphic representation then...  Kind of like the Zahn Trilogy figures we get through their comic adaptation.  That works for me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 10:11 AM »
...Kind of like the Zahn Trilogy figures we get through their comic adaptation.  That works for me.

Man, we need some Noghri!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 11:14 AM »
to me this wave looks like a partnership between Dark Horse and Hasbro to help the martket become familar with Current Comic books that new fans can jump into now and open new sales.
I deffenetly see Hasbro going back and mining older comics, video games and novels for more figs,  But the more reference pictures there are available for a character the better chance we will be seeing it in plastic. 
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 11:57 AM »
I think with the NJO Luke that came in the Evolutions set, a figure which I believe has no visual reference for (someone correct me if I'm wrong),

There was reference. Your points are good, I just wanted to share the pic.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 12:04 PM »
I would have rather they focused on KOTOR characters from the games like Bastilla Shan, Ordo, Sion. I am stoked about HK-47, at least one made it. Most of the characters are flatliners. It is a great way to get Krayt and a Jedi Cade in the line. I just feel they are giving Legacy a little too much love for being around for such a short time. The Rebellion Luke might be cool too.

I want more OTC!!!!!!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 06:50 PM »
I think with the NJO Luke that came in the Evolutions set, a figure which I believe has no visual reference for (someone correct me if I'm wrong),

There was reference. Your points are good, I just wanted to share the pic.

Cool, I've never seen that pic before. I see the image comes from a scan of the Insider magazine. Is that the only place to locate the pic, was it used elsewhere? The use of the picture as a reference for a new figure gives credence to the idea that other such pictures including those used in the Essential Guides should be sufficient reference material to make certain novel characters into figures. Of course Hasbro could say they only used the image above because it was for a Luke figure and they wouldn't do this elsewhere, but that would be a cop out on their part I think.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:30 PM by Jeff »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 06:43 PM »
From about 7th grade, until about a year ago - I must have read 50 Star Wars novels full of characters I'd be interested in buying figures of.

But all Hasbro seems to want to make is comic book and video game figures.

Why?

Since I was in the 4th grade until... well, now, I've read the entire Marvel/Dark Horse run of Star Wars comics-- and yet people keep wanting to make figures from the novels. 

Why? :)

Ah, the fun of the hobby.   If we could fight to the death to decide who does and doesn't get made, surely we would.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 11:37 AM »

Since I was in the 4th grade until... well, now, I've read the entire Marvel/Dark Horse run of Star Wars comics-- and yet people keep wanting to make figures from the novels. 

Ah, the fun of the hobby. 

I'm not saying they should stop making figures from the comics, I just wish they could get a little more balanced.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 01:46 PM »
If we could fight to the death to decide who does and doesn't get made, surely we would.

Ooh, now there's an idea. But the Big H and LFL probably wouldn't like it as the collector/fan base would surely be dwindled... and then it'd have to be resurrected with the Rule of Two.  :D

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 06:17 PM »

Ah, the fun of the hobby. 

I'm not saying they should stop making figures from the comics, I just wish they could get a little more balanced.

Definitely, plus many of the novel characters had profound impacts on the Expanded Universe, appearing in multiple books. Why should they get left out if Hasbro can prove that characters with little visual reference can be made.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin