Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211233 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2008, 03:13 PM »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2008, 03:36 PM »
Well... since I own that piece... looks like styrene to me.  :P :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2008, 05:29 PM »
In this weekend's Q&A sessions, Hasbro shot down the idea that they are working on new Star Destroyer or Death Star Playsets.

- We have no plans to pursue a Star Destroyer playset.  It is simply not feasible for us to do.

- We can confirm that no Death Star playset is in any stage of development, and nothing has progressed beyond some "what if" discussions and the few models that we created back in 2005. We will not be doing this, at least in the next several years (we still don't know what live action could bring so we won't say never). While some might look at the Millenium Falcon as a ray of hope that we could bring out a Death Star someday, the tooling on a playset is much, much more onerous and not a realistic possibility unless there is current entertainment support to engage kids in the set.

So... time for a survey.  What do you guys think?

A)  Phoney-Baloney!  They are working on them for next year, but they are trying to keep it quiet like they did with the Falcon and AT-TE!

B)  They are working on them, but taking things slowly and waiting to see how the Falcon and AT-TE do at retail.

C)  I believe them when they say they're not working on them anytime soon...  but maybe someday.

D)  For the love of god, they will never ever make new playsets so please shut the hell up and never speak of them again.

(I vote for B  ;))
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2008, 05:55 PM »
I vote C. As much as I would want a Star Destroyer  I know that what ever Hasbro would make will still be vastly out of scale and not worth the price.

Although I loved how they mentioned the live action show. Considering it has been stated that Imperials WILL be in the show and it takes place during the contruction of the DS the chances of them created one is slim but still there. I know they would not release it right away but maybe in a couple of years.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2008, 07:10 PM »
C)  I believe them when they say they're not working on them anytime soon...  but maybe someday.

I'm voting C...  I think Hasbro honestly does NOT have the interest in playsets that they convey, and I think the Falcon and AT-TE will have to do so well at retail that they're two almost-impossible-to-find items for people.  They'd have to literally be "scarce", and while I love the items coming, I don't foresee them being scarce...

Unless they're not ordered heavily at retail, who are themselves a tad gunshy.  That could happen, but still I dont' think that scenario would be enough for Hasbro to fully commit.  They'd need ordered at just about every retailer that carries SW product, and sell through quickly I think, for them to truly even begin real consideration of the really big ticket playset people dream about...

Putting the Destroyer aside, I think the Death Star would be the go-to item here...  We'd mentioned in a story a couple months back or so about a chipboard Death Star that DOES come up on Hasbro's table now and then.  I think they look at it, and put it back routinely.  Or so goes what was heard on the matter.  And they don't even look at it in the context of what people say they want and would sell...  they look at cutting material costs, they look at play/themes...  They don't look at 8 stackable cubes that represent accurately the sets from the film.

I guess my guess is C with a twist...  C, but with the idea that Falcon and TE would have to sell not just well, but amazingly fantastically well, for them to truly look at it and think, "well we could try ______, because it's big and important, and everyone knows it". 

I'll be honest though, I'm still not hopeful on this one.  I think I'll keep my stackable death star custom plans on the table for myself.

Almost anything that is from Star Wars, short of some stuff like Holiday Special things or whatnot, seems to come up on the table...  That's why I question how much of the latest rumors circulating are truly "rumors", and how much of it is more, "here's a bunch of characters we haven't gotten, or haven't been redone yet" type of a situation.  I think they're equally possible, to be honest.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I'm starting to think that the Falcon might be the tie-in from the films to the TV show.  Maybe the lead charcater is the Captain...we know the ship has been around 20-30 years before ANH.

That way, when the show hits, they can use it again.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31 PM »
I'll say B.  It would be stupid for them not to keep their options open.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09 AM »
A little bit of A and a little bit of B. They could have some ideas in the design stage ready to go full steam if the Falcon and At-Te do well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2008, 09:18 PM »
My thoughts on this run a little from a b and c.

"a" in so much as I remember reading an interview with Mark Bourdeaux (sp?) back in '98 where he said he was working out ideas for an FX-scaled Falcon to go along with the FX X-Wing that had just come out, and that the team's long-term goals included updating all classic vehicles that way. If the Falcon has been in the process for ten years, and if Hasbro has been denying it for the past year while cranking up the factories, then I don't see how we can put any faith in QnA denials at this point. A Death Star concept (or at least one) has been worked out, so the fact is we are past the planning stages.

'b' because the model exists and if the line shows that it can support a big hundred-dollar-plus non-tie-in item this year, they will try it again. Until it fails.

"c" because they haven't slotted a spot or geared up any tooling for a Death Star playset yet.

I expect the Death Star to be much more die-cut cardboard with printed on details than full-blown molded plastic wall and floor pieces. A few accessories that can be rehashed as figure pack-ins, a couple of interesting figures, and you've got your hundred dollar set.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I think there's the potential that something could be in development.  But I think there's going to be a wait and see kind of attitude from Hasbro over the next 6 months.  I think they're going to want to see how well the Falcon and AT-TE perform at retail before any other large items winds up getting greenlighted.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2008, 09:57 AM »
I'll optimistically say B as well, although I can see Jesse's point of view of things as well.  After all the denials in Q and A's the past couple years about the Shuttle, Falcon, etc., I don't know how much stock to put in these sort of answers anymore.  We've seen several times that there are "discussions" on a Death Star playset, so I think that its definitely on their radar - and it depends a lot on the sales of the Falcon and AT-TE.  From all indications on the forums here, those should both sell pretty well, but we'll see I guess.  Like others have said, if we get a Death Star, it will likely be a combo of cardboard/plastic or other types of things, and not a full plastic type thing.  You never know though.  I could see a $100-$150 item (with pack-ins and a couple of figures), and they should probably release it for a Christmas item.  I hope we see something like this happen eventually though.  Heck, I'm probably one of the few, but I'd be fairly happy if we even saw a redo of the vintage playset.  I know its far from screen accurate and all of that, but I always wanted one as a kid and the vintage ones aren't usually cheap (or complete) on ebay.  An all-new one would be darn spiffy though too.  I just really have a hard time believing they aren't working on some sort of idea like this, especially after seeing that LEGO version last week - Hasbro has to be at least thinking about it.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2008, 12:19 PM »
My heart wants to say B, but my gut says C.

I still think it can be done. But again I point to this being not just one set, but several and are modular.

I've broken this down before, but I'll do it again.
2 large sets (Hangar where Falcon was and the Emperor's throne room-no not his toilet...heh heh)
a few medium sized sets: Conference room, Red Control room, trash compactor, detention block
then several connectable (and modular) hallways: Long, short and curved. These coming with one of those semi circular "bumps" that you see on some of the walls. Those bumps may or may not be connected ccording to the CONSUMERS choosing. SO you could not use one in one hallway then double up in another.

Costs for these sets would be $60 large sets, $30-40 medium sets, $15-20 hallways.
The hallways would be easy to do AND all of these sets would be plastic. No cheaping out with chipboard, cardboard, etc.

I know the idea of Death Star hallways is not exciting to some, but think about it, it's where some of the best action took place...Vader/Obi wan's fight. Han's chasing then being chased by stormies, etc.
Making it so that the hallways can connect the medium and large sets allows the consumer to build their Death Star how THEY want to. But at the least Hasbro would know that most people would go for the large and medium sets. So they'd still make a profit. The hallways are almost an afterthought and becasue they are essentially the same be they short, long or curved would be easy to manucfacter and at minimal cost.

In they end if you got even one of each set you'd spend at least $150. Add in a few hallways to connect them all and you're talking $200. Not a bad investment. Stores don't have to stock some ginormous item either so that's a draw.

I think Hasbro needs to be approached by someone who has a plan all laid out and can show them how not only would it be feasible but profitable.  I believe it's both. (But given hasbro's tude about this, I'm still inclined to pick C as my answer).

Please Hasbro, see the light of day. The Death Star CAN be done!

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2008, 02:25 PM »
jedi_master_sal
                     That would be an aswume take on how to release the DS.  I would add to help sell the hallways add a figure to it.  maybe an astro unit, DS Droid or Mouse Droid,  or Troops, Stormie, Imp Commanders or Pilots.   
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2008, 05:56 PM »
jedi_master_sal
                     That would be an awsome take on how to release the DS.  I would add to help sell the hallways add a figure to it.  maybe an astro unit, DS Droid or Mouse Droid,  or Troops, Stormie, Imp Commanders or Pilots.   

True enough. A figure to a hallway would help draw in people to buy them. Though that would undoubtedly drive up the cost, with the plethora of repaints out there, Hasbro could do this with minimal cost. Droids would certainly be a way to do this. Hmm, the clear domed Blue R3 Unit would be cool to get in one of these sets. ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Death_Star_I_R3_Unit )

I'm thinking with the other sets there could be exclusive figures as well.

Emperor's throne room: The other two Imperial Dignitaries not yet made
Falcon Hangar Bay: Two SA Scanning crew members
Red Control Room: SA Imperial Lieutenant
Trash Compactor room: Dianoga or "wet" Luke
Detention Block: head sculpt specifi Imperial officer "Where are you taking this thing"
Conference room: Pick one of the officers not yet made, or make a new SA Motti (he sorely needs a new figure, instead of that gawd awful "can't miss if it you've got your eyes closed" elbow hinged figure we have now.

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Death Star - B.

Star Destroyer - C.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!