Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212305 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Or never according to Hasbro. :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:36 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2008, 10:34 AM »
I guess I'd like to see a new Rebel Transport, but I really don't see that being that great of a choice of a large vehicle... Sail Barge and company would stand a better chance, I think.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2008, 04:51 PM »
Well, I happened to pick up a vintage Rebel Transport for cheap a few years back. It's decent enough. But I think it would need to be reworked for the modern line. Not enough going on inside of it to be all that exciting. <--waits to be misquoted on that last sentence.

However, a Transport in scale with the BMF would be one freakin' huge custom model project! Man, the thought of that get's my creative juices flowing. <--waits to be misquoted on that last sentence as well...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I always considered the Rebel Transport to be a great toy.  I got mine when I was 10, and it was the best carry case/figure moving thing I could get.  I mean, it had a freaking handle right on top, and standing room for about 40 figures, PLUS it was engineered so the figures had slots and foot pegs and wouldn't topple over.   I sincerely doubt you could put 24 modern SW figures in there.  Maybe 15?

It was a thing of beauty.  Unfortunately, modern figures are much wider and I'm willing to bet many wouldn't even fit in the compartments.   That, and I could see it being a crappy thing to own unless you were looking for a way to store your figures or transport a bunch of them around the house.   It's not a very showy item, being essentially a giant cigar, but the little removable cannon thing was fun to play with.  It's one of very few toys I would see benefiting from a spring-loaded cannon in there.

Still, I think the Sail Barge or a Blockade Runner stand a better chance of being made.   I say this with love-- the Rebel Transport isn't going to impress anybody in this day and age.  Its main play function can be adequately replicated by a modestly sized cardboard box.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 19, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Here are the larger vehicles that I think *MIGHT* have a shot in the line...

-MTT
-Clone Shuttle (Clone Wars)
-Twilight (Clone Wars)
-Sentinel Class Imperial Landing Ship (Big longshot)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 19, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Here are the larger vehicles that I think *MIGHT* have a shot in the line...

-Sentinel Class Imperial Landing Ship (Big longshot)

Thank you.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 1, 2008, 11:07 AM »
I mentioned this in the "big vehicles" thread as well, but at least here locally, the holiday sales really seem to be moving both the Falcon and AT-TE at retail.  All of our local stores seemed to be sold out (or close to it) after having at least 1 or 2 in stock of each for the last few months.  Hopefully this is a good sign, and not just a localized and/or short term sale burst.

That being said, if these vehicles do sell well nationwide through the holidays - what do you think will be our next 1 or 2 vehicles in this lineup?  I'm thinking - again, if both vehicles do well - we'll see another OT/CW combo of vehicles.  Something that is seen a fair amount in the animated series alongside another iconic vehicle from the OT.  I've seen the Juggernaut mentioned before, as well as the AT-AT (I think there were rumors of a redone Slave 1 at the GH blog as well at one point?).  What do you think would be the best next choices to get the BMF treatment - or should Hasbro limit it to one per year from now on?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #217 on: December 1, 2008, 11:12 AM »
AT-TE's are gone here but Falcons are still plentiful at Wal-Mart and Target...  I counted 6 Falcons at WM last night.  Target had fewer but they've not had much out since they were released.  I'm not surprised given the price, it isn't cheap, but I'm a little surprised at how few I've noticed moved at WM.  Maybe they just restocked and I missed it or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 1, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Not so much a vehicle, and I know Hasbro has said they aren't going to do playsets, per se.  But how about some kind of battlement set?  You know something with a generic wall and maybe a turret or something.  Maybe even have connectors at the end to snap two (or more) pieces together like the Cantina bar sections.  I'm sure lots of little kids would like to do something like that scene from Starship Troopers where they fight from that field assembled base...

It could be pretty simple and Hasbro could incorporate it within a Ultimate Battlepack or something.  Basically have a base, a wall, a turret and maybe a gate.  Then they can either fill out the pack with OT, PT or EU figures.  Heck, they could even paint it different schemes (Snowy, sandy, dirty, etc.).  Then to spread the cost they could repack it in their other lines, (GI Joe, etc.).

My thinking is that most of the buyers of the BMF and AT-TE probably don't do a ton of flying/walking them around.  They don't utilize their vehicle function so muc as they primarily use them as a basis to play with the figures.  And since there aren't a huge number of ships that are iconic/saga spanning like the BMF or as heavily used in the PT/Clone Wars as the AT-TE, I think Hasbro should look at something somewhat generic that they can apply treatment to, in order to sell multiple times (think repainted ROTS clones...).

So does anyone think a set where you can have a line of Troopers (and maybe a PT version of an E-Web) firing down on SBDs and Tri-Droids, or some Rebels bravely holding off an onslaught of 50 Stormies) seem like a good idea?
I am not the Stig

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 1, 2008, 12:28 PM »
I'm hoping for any of the following to be made:

PT
Juggernaut (clone turbo tank)-it's mostly hollow inside, so lots of room for figures AND the electronics necessary.
AT-TE dropship-now that we have the actual AT-TE, Hasbro "could" give us this ship. It's not very iconic, but much of the mold can be taken from the existing gunship, just bigger. THis would be a perfect candidate for an exclusive.

OT
Jabba's Sailbarge-really this IS the one that people on most collecting forums want. PLENTY of action, large, good for storing figures.
Sandcrawler-this is in such bad need of the BMF treatment. Many of us bought the previous small version based off of the vintage mold, but came away very unsatisfied. I'm glad I waited to get mine and got it on sale. A new LARGE BMF, like the custom that pops up every once in awhile, would be highly desired. A room for C-3PO/R2 to reunite, command bridge at the top of it, front triangular door opening to several levels inside the vehicle. Side panels come off to reveal yet more rooms. Actual treads??? A non-functioning vacuum scoop to pick up the droids-maybe a clear plastic platform to set a droid on to make it appear as if it's being scooped up, from which you pull up a sliding lever to take the droid up.
Pack in an exclusive Jawa and Droid, oooh, or maybe a new Uncle Owen and you've got a solid iconic vehicle from the original movie that started it all!

Upsizing Slave One and the AT-AT are good choices as well.

There really isn't anything else in this scale that could be feasibly done nor much in this scale I can think of that people would really want.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 1, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Hmmm... I think there's still demand for more stuff than that, especially playsets.   :P

Anyways, I haven't seen people really discuss this, but what about an Imperial landing platform like we see on Endor?  I know it's not all that iconic, but damnit that would be nice to see made.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 1, 2008, 02:09 PM »
As long as it doesn't look silly under the shuttle.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #222 on: December 4, 2008, 03:32 PM »
Judging by the sales trends the big boys do not look to be flying off the shelves. Everywhere I go stores are piled up with AT-TE's. BMF's are lighter but still quite easy to find. I have some inside info that the sales data is mixed on these items.

I hope to see more large stuff in the future but not sure if we will see anything next year. The next 3 weeks will likely decide the fate of $100+ vehicles for the foreseeable future.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #223 on: December 4, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Holy hell you're back. ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 4, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I have some inside info that the sales data is mixed on these items.

That's no surprise - IMO, they're cannibalizing each other.