Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212663 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #255 on: January 4, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Holiday sales are MUCH bigger than anything else over the course of the year.  Just look at Black Friday itself.  It's called that because that's the day of the year when most retailers are able to get their books back into the black.  And mind you, that's with about 4 serious weeks of retail shopping left before Christmas.  And then the retailers do their post holiday inventory.  I don't think that Hasbro will wind up with solid sales data for the entire holiday season until at least the end of January.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #256 on: January 5, 2009, 01:44 AM »
AT-TE's did have shipments that had fixed legs.  I know this because Hasbro's asking for people to check date stamps on AT-TE's if they request new sets of legs.  I had to check mine, and it had the old date stamp.

So they are shipping, apparantly, with fixed legs (it's actually just the pegs that are fixed).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 5, 2009, 07:47 AM »
I think given the economy and the fact that they had two $100 plus items out at the same time they sold well.  At least they did around my area.  A few stores after Christmas do not seem to have many at all.  I can find them easily enought but it's not like they have stacks of them sitting on the floor like they did when the Queen's Starship was out in 1999. 

I think the chances of getting something like the TurboTank and an all new AT-AT are good or even a rumored new Slave I or AT-ST.   Their comments seem to suggest they still don't want to try a Jabba's SailBarge, Death Star, or an Imperial Destroyer. I think a Death Star vehicle/playset would do well but maybe not? 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 5, 2009, 09:35 AM »

I feel burned that I went out immediately and bought both a BMF and AT-TE. When, if I'd have waited 3 months I could have saved nearly $90 for the both, almost effectively giving me the AT-TE for free...

I want to feel burned, but I'm happy to have gotten the stuff when I did. Sure, I would have love to have saved a hundred bucks, but these were a new class of item. Who knew?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 5, 2009, 01:26 PM »

I feel burned that I went out immediately and bought both a BMF and AT-TE. When, if I'd have waited 3 months I could have saved nearly $90 for the both, almost effectively giving me the AT-TE for free...

I want to feel burned, but I'm happy to have gotten the stuff when I did. Sure, I would have love to have saved a hundred bucks, but these were a new class of item. Who knew?

True enough, but when I couple this plus the set of figures in a wave we could have bought off of HTS for $10 cheaper plus the $90+ I could have saved on GG busts lately if I only would have waited.... well, I can't help but feel a little burned. I'll be a much smarter shopper this year and be a ton more patient. I'm not a carded collector, so that holds no sway over me. So I have no need to rush out and get the figure first before the cards all get damaged from others rummaging through them.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #260 on: January 5, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Thinking about this, I think that both of these vehicles sold rather well.  Sure some people will be put off by big items if they only purchased the AT-TE (as a toy not a collectible) because of the legs, and the same type of people might be put off by the BMF Falcon because it's so big, kids can't "fly" it around the room like you could with the previous version.  Still, I think these were successful enough that Hasbro will probably consider some items for the future:

We'll probably see:
-Turbo Tank -- mainly because it would be fairly easy to make and fairly sturdy.
-AT-AT -- Previous versions have done fairly well (minus the last TRU exclusive which I think you can still find)
-Death Star -- If Hasbro ever makes a playset again, it will be this.
-Jawa Sandcrawler -- They keep making Jawas...they need a ride and it would basically be a large box on treads so fairly easy to do for Hasbro

Probably won't see:
Jabba's Sail Barge -- I could be wrong, but I can't see Hasbro putting this together well enough for collectors, and I don't think it would sell as a toy
Sith Infiltrator -- Too bad they didn't make the one that was released the size of the Queen's Starship (but then I would not have the space to display it)
Any large EU vehicle -- anyone who wanted a Lady Luck or the like is SOL

I think we'll also a new AT-ST and possibly Slave 1 at some point...but I don't consider them big vehicles compared to the rest of the list.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 6, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Thinking about this, I think that both of these vehicles sold rather well.  Sure some people will be put off by big items if they only purchased the AT-TE (as a toy not a collectible) because of the legs, and the same type of people might be put off by the BMF Falcon because it's so big, kids can't "fly" it around the room like you could with the previous version.  Still, I think these were successful enough that Hasbro will probably consider some items for the future:

We'll probably see:
-Turbo Tank -- mainly because it would be fairly easy to make and fairly sturdy.
-AT-AT -- Previous versions have done fairly well (minus the last TRU exclusive which I think you can still find)
-Jawa Sandcrawler -- They keep making Jawas...they need a ride and it would basically be a large box on treads so fairly easy to do for Hasbro

Probably won't see:
Jabba's Sail Barge -- I could be wrong, but I can't see Hasbro putting this together well enough for collectors, and I don't think it would sell as a toy
Sith Infiltrator -- Too bad they didn't make the one that was released the size of the Queen's Starship (but then I would not have the space to display it)
Any large EU vehicle -- anyone who wanted a Lady Luck or the like is SOL

I think we'll also a new AT-ST and possibly Slave 1 at some point...but I don't consider them big vehicles compared to the rest of the list.

I'll have to agree with you on all points here.

Though I STILL am holding out hope for Jabba's Sail Barge. In many collector polls it consistently ranks high if not first in most wanted ships, certainly most wanted large ships.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 6, 2009, 10:05 AM »
We'll probably see:
What about the Twilight?  Based on the projected 4 to 5 seasons of the show, its probably going to get a lot of screen time, I could see them releasing one of these.  It'd probably have to be in the $50-$75 price range.  I'd expect a cockpit for 2-4 figures, plus the docking bay at the back, and maybe a speeder that pops out the bottom or something.  I think this would sell a lot better to the kiddies than either the Sandcrawler or Jabba's sailbarge.
I am not the Stig

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 6, 2009, 02:19 PM »
A Sail Barge with BMF treatment would be amazing...

I know a lot of skeptics are going to say it's not going to happen, but a lot of those people would have said the same thing not too long ago about the AT-TE or the Falcon.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 6, 2009, 03:17 PM »
A Sail Barge with BMF treatment would be amazing...

I know a lot of skeptics are going to say it's not going to happen, but a lot of those people would have said the same thing not too long ago about the AT-TE or the Falcon.

I hear ya Chewie, and that's the same statement I'm going by. If they can do a BMF Falcon and the AT-TE, they can give us the Sail Barge.

I think it helped to have it in the CW movie, but it needs some exposure in the show as well.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 6, 2009, 06:36 PM »
The Sail Barge is one of my most wanted items without a doubt.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 6, 2009, 07:29 PM »
What about the Twilight?  Based on the projected 4 to 5 seasons of the show, its probably going to get a lot of screen time, I could see them releasing one of these.  It'd probably have to be in the $50-$75 price range.  I'd expect a cockpit for 2-4 figures, plus the docking bay at the back, and maybe a speeder that pops out the bottom or something.  I think this would sell a lot better to the kiddies than either the Sandcrawler or Jabba's sailbarge.

I didn't count the Twilight since I was focusing on Legacy vehicles not Clone Wars.  But then the AT-TE is a CLone Wars collection item so my bad on that.

I still don't think you'll see a sailbarge....you cannot compare Jabba's Sail Barge popularity and recognition to the Millenium Falcon's.  Sorry guys.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 7, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I noticed that our local WM has 3 BMFs priced at $99 now.  I could kick myself for not saving the $50, but you just never know when this stuff is first released (at least, you don't know for sure).  Personally, I hope we see more big vehicles in the future.  I know many prefer all new stuff (mostly from prequels/Clone Wars), but I hope some more OT ships get the treatment in the future.  The AT-AT would be the largest most likely, but I wouldn't mind seeing other, smaller ships get re-done as well - Snowspeeder (which could be a $20 starfighter assortment vehicle), AT-ST, Slave 1, etc.  I haven't been to our local TRU in a bit, but there's no sign of the AT-TE at Target or WM here.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 7, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Although we may see a new, larger AT-AT.  It will still be horribly underscaled.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 8, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Although we may see a new, larger AT-AT.  It will still be horribly underscaled.

o doubts there. However if Hasbro pulls a one-two punch and gives a more properly (smaller) scaled snowspeeder, that will help tremendously in offsetting the difference in scale.

Right now, IIRC, the current (and still vintage mold) AT-AT and an Action Fleet Snowspeeder are near about the right scale to each other.