Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212395 times)

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #405 on: January 5, 2010, 07:23 AM »
Let's hope it's something most of us collectors will enjoy, and that the kiddos will too!

Aren't we all still kids?  ;D

What Daigo_Bah shows, doesn't look bad at all, but if Hasbro decides to redo the behemoth of Hoth, I'd still prefer a retooled head as well. The vintage/POTF2 one looks fat compared to the real thing  ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 5, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I know we've only seen one real shot of the new AT-AT, and we're all looking forward to Toy Fair, but I was just thinking about what could be made beyond this as we look further into 2011.  I'm still hoping that this "one big vehicle per year" program can continue, as it really seems like something neat for both kids and collectors to have in the line (that "big" Christmas present, if you will).  I'm wondering what are some realistic options for this line going forward.  It really seems like from Hasbro's responses that droid/Seperatist vehicles aren't terribly likely.  There are some other vehicles from both CW and the movies that are sort of borderline in being "worth" $100 (like the Twilight, new OT X-Wings/Y-Wings/B-Wings, etc.)  One thing I'm surprised we haven't seen is an upscaled Gunship.  I know they can sell the heck out of those repaints (and have), and that might be a big reason why we haven't seen a new one - but it seems to fit all the other criteria.  It is large enough to fit that pricepoint (especially decked out with features), has a huge presence on the animated series (nearly every episode), and also is recognizable from the movies.  That might be an option for the future.  As always, I'm always up for more OT re-dos as well, so if they want to do the Slave 1, one of the fighters (again, maybe not big enough for $100), or the Sail Barge (wishful thinking), I'd be fine with that too.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #407 on: February 5, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Nice post!
I love the big boys to look forward as well to but I am not sure how many are left that are viable. I am in that camp of wishful thinking of a Sail Barge, that is my most wanted Big vehicle. That is the vehicle I would love to see next and one Hasbro has interest in so there is a smidge of hope. After all they said the Cloud Car would never happen and it's now coming.

I personally do not see them redoing a Gunship at this point in time. As Brian pointed out there is a lot of money to be made on the current one still. Plus, on top of  all of that they just reinvested in it this year with new guns, canon missiles, side doors and Gun pods. I am quite happy with this vehicle as it's stand now and would not even want a larger scale one due to the room factor and it's just not enticing to spend $100 for a semi current vehicle that I have 6 of. The 6 are manageable scale and I really like all of them but I need to ditch 1-2 of them it's just too much of one thing.

Here are some of my thoughts on what could work at $100-150:

- Sailbarge/Jabbas Palace combo. The interior could take some liberties to resemble Jabbas Palace more. seen in CW animated and ROTS this could work. Without the Trooper factor it makes the suits uneasy.
- Star Destroyer - While we could never get one to scale or even close there is a lot of potential to do one with CW crossover appeal. This would at least have to be $150+ to do it right in a sizeable scale that could meet kids/collectors happy. This should be the FLAGG of SW.
- The AOTC huge laser station tank thing that shot down the Trade Federation Ship center "Balls". This can make an appearance in the CW cartoon, it was seen in the movie and is Clone related. Throw in the mini battlefield command port station Yoda was commanding in and this could be a cool combo
- Rebel Troop Transport: Not likely but like the Sarlacc concept above can it open up to resemble Echo Base? F@#k it just repaint the old one and add some new parts to it.

I see the Twilight and Slave one in a $80 or less category. I really do not see them as $100+ vehicles nor do I see the demand. While I would not mind a new Slave One it's lower on my totem pole of what I would love to see resculpted. I do see this one more likely as it has Jango redeco possibilities and if the STAN sighting holds true this was developed and we may see it at TF as the big surprise caveat. After all its first appearance was ESB....

Here is my smoking peace pipe dream for the new line of play sets called "Modlarz" (Love that 00' flare in the name)
- Dagobah Play set with all the film fix'ns: Think of this bad boy as two levels. L1 Swing Vine/Training area, l2 Cave with Electronic sound/lights, L1&2 X-wing swamp sink action, Launching R2 and Yoda's crib complete with a bed that has a flipping action to have Yoda in it then when he croaks push the Force trigger to flip the trap door bed for his disappearance into the Force!
- Bespin playset 9Carbo Chamber/Duel area/Droid factory and Dining Room. Too lazy to type more.
- Death Star. The most touched upon play set discussion that I do not even need to type about.
- DS
« Last Edit: February 5, 2010, 05:46 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #408 on: February 5, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I'd actually like to see them beef up the X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, and Gunship to-scale.  I'd love that actually, but I'm not hopeful.  The current CW Y-Wing is actually about right for an OT Y-Wing, but I just don't hold much hope they'll ever get these up to the standards of the big wing TIE or whatnot.

Hell, X-Wings and Y-WIngs alone would have me scrambling to afford all I wanted I think. 

But for $100 they'd better be damn special too...  for $70 I'd be a little forgiving on most aspects but the scale of it (which would have to be pretty spot-on).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 5, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I don't really have any interest in up-scaled X-Wings, Gunships or Y-Wings.  I would think that after the $65 pricepoint disaster, Hasbro's not looking to that scale much in the foreseeable future anyway, but who knows.

I am however strongly in favor of an expansion of the $100-$150 line, with large vehicles and some playsets done right.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 6, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm fine with the longer X-wings in the modern line and the Y-wing while small is fine. I wanted the new CW Y-wing, but I refuse to pay that much for it.

I like others would really rather see a modular Death Star playset(s) and Sail Barge. Hell the Sail Barge can be used as a toy chest to store toys when not in use by kids. The packaging can even make that statement to hit the point home further.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 7, 2010, 09:52 AM »
I wanted the new CW Y-wing, but I refuse to pay that much for it.

You're not missing much at any price.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 7, 2010, 04:58 PM »
I bought the Y-Wing for $45 at Wal-Mart.  At that price, I think it's reasonable. 

Also, in regards to a Sail Barge (and even a Death Star playset), I think the chances are improving with each $100 item Hasbro makes that doesn't flop.

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked before but does anyone know when the new AT-AT comes out?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13 PM »
August 2010.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2010, 04:42 PM »
It is a tad ironic that the big items are hitting at what has to be the eventual "tail" of the line. I wanted playsets, death star dioramas, bigger ships, and just about everything else you could dream up. But that was 5-10 years ago. Now, I'm cutting back spending, selling off portions of the 15 years worth of excess, and trying to turn the collection into a size that can be managed, displayed (in rotation), and enjoyed, rather than catlogued and boxed away.
It is amazing how much work collecting can be, and how much more work it can be to scale down the collection! But, I will happily replace my AT-AT's this summer. I love Empire, and am glad to see all the product being produced. I just don't know how much of it I am going to end up with, as I don't need a 3rd Dengar, 4-Lom, Zuckuss, or slave 1, or 10th (or more) Fett.
For those that are looking for them, I hope they make the sail barge, death star, and whatever else can be contrived from plastic. I just don't know how much more you can possibly have, and still manage to enjoy (that's not a slam, I just realized I had past that point myself some time ago).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:43 PM by Dan »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2010, 07:09 PM »
I'd love to see an updated Sandcrawler, though I doubt it will ever happen.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2010, 08:43 PM »
It is a tad ironic that the big items are hitting at what has to be the eventual "tail" of the line. I wanted playsets, death star dioramas, bigger ships, and just about everything else you could dream up. But that was 5-10 years ago. Now, I'm cutting back spending, selling off portions of the 15 years worth of excess, and trying to turn the collection into a size that can be managed, displayed (in rotation), and enjoyed, rather than catlogued and boxed away.
It is amazing how much work collecting can be, and how much more work it can be to scale down the collection! But, I will happily replace my AT-AT's this summer. I love Empire, and am glad to see all the product being produced. I just don't know how much of it I am going to end up with, as I don't need a 3rd Dengar, 4-Lom, Zuckuss, or slave 1, or 10th (or more) Fett.
For those that are looking for them, I hope they make the sail barge, death star, and whatever else can be contrived from plastic. I just don't know how much more you can possibly have, and still manage to enjoy (that's not a slam, I just realized I had past that point myself some time ago).

I think your opinion echos the thoughts of a lot of collectors.  My collection is far beyond what I ever dreamed it would be.  While I haven't slown down as much as some, I am definitely thin on space and would have paced myself more had I known some of these bigger items would eventually be made.  Hasbro maintained a no/few playsets policy for a long time, frequently answering that they could not make big remodeled ships and playsets profitable.  Yet, here we are in 2010 with plenty of new awesomeness to collect.

I'll continue to pick up most of what's released, but I am buying less than I used to.  :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53 PM »
That's why I've cut a lot of vehicle-buying out...  It's just too much.  Figures at least are easier to store.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45 AM »

Wow Dan, it's like you crawled inside my head with your response. I agree with everything you posted.

I'm going to use some of the time between now and the Vintage release to go through my stuff and sell what I know I don't want anymore. I've got a huge basement filled with stuff, but it's all in tubs and boxes so I can't enjoy looking at it. I need to get my collection to about 30-40% of the size it is now.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010