Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212131 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #90 on: May 8, 2008, 09:20 AM »
I've always been an advocate for the modular DS playset. There's just so much possibility.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 8, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I've always been an advocate for the modular DS playset. There's just so much possibility.

That's how Iook at it.

Also, Hasbro could make attaching hallway pieces cheap so we could expand on the set. long and short and curved hallways. Blast door, elevator shafts, these too would help in building up a big "playset" if we chose. These shouldn't be retail however as they'd take up space. Make them online exclusives or specifically HasbroToyShop.cm exclusives.

I still contend that smaller room add-ons would be excellent. Red control room (see above the hangar), trash compactor room, prison cell, conference room would all be a way to expand on the set. The Falcon Hangar would be a centerpiece. The Emperor's throne room, would be the "crown" that would fit over top of it all. I don't think it's feasible to have these all in one set however as it would be expensive. So if this is to be an all in one set, I'm really crosses my fingers that it includes some elements of each area listed about. But undoubtedly that just won't be enough for all of us.

It's stilll early and hopefully Hasbro is taking note of all of the discussions on the various forums. Using that to "get it right." Of course there will never be a way to make us all happy, but they an try to make the majority happy.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 8, 2008, 10:27 AM »
Yeah there is never going to be an "inscale" Star Destroyer or Death Star or playset from a toy company (USS FLAGG from GIJOE is about it).  All we can hope for is something fairly big to hold some decent scenes from the film and maybe a few extras like that flying thing with the Falcon.   No way in hell are they going to release an inscale $300-500 vehicle.  I would expect something around $150.  However, people are already whining about the price of the Falcon.  So, they can't really go any farther than that price or scalewise.  It would never move off the shelves and they would end up screwing themselves. 

Now this is the 2nd or 3rd time Rebelscum has mentioned people go out and pay the full price on the Falcon if we want to see other big stuff like this made.  I don't know if that is all speculation on their part or they have actually heard a rep from within say "on this all depends".  I am leaning toward the latter and makes sense really.   

Hasbro does seem to be moving toward more play environments recently.  Those Endor and Hoth big battle packs.  Even the Bantha with Sand People.  Now it appears the Disturbance at Lar's Homestead has the big dome.  It sounds like they are trying to head that way.  I say about freaking time.  I have about 500-600 figures sitting on a shelf or a table with really no place to put them in a Star Wars environment that most of them should be in.  You can only do so much with a $20 Jedi starfighter and cardboard cutouts, etc. 

I will be honest.  I am all but done buying Star Wars figures.  Occasionally I buy something that I don't have like the upcoming Yarna, etc.  So, I am willing to throw some money at a nice Millenium Falcon and AT-TE.  I can finally put the clones in something as well instead of in formation behind a Jedi general as fun as that is.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 8, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Nice to see more positive speculation on this.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 8, 2008, 12:12 PM »
Now this is the 2nd or 3rd time Rebelscum has mentioned people go out and pay the full price on the Falcon if we want to see other big stuff like this made.  I don't know if that is all speculation on their part or they have actually heard a rep from within say "on this all depends".  I am leaning toward the latter and makes sense really.  

Rebelscum isn't the only site that's mentioned this.  I've seen a good number of mentions about this at Galactic Hunter as well.  And I think there's been A LOT of talk about waiting for items to go on clearance on a number of collecting boards.  People have grown accustomed to the way that Target in particular handles their markdowns, and seem ready to pounce once things go on clearance.  It's almost predatory.

I can certainly appreciate when anyone has a collecting budget that they're trying to stick to. Most people have a finite ammount of cash to spend on the hobby.  But when you systematically wait for EVERYTHING to go on clearance I think it affects things negatively.  It affects the retailer.  They're less willing to take a chance on Star Wars if things only sell on clearance.  And in turn Hasbro can potentially suffer if they don't get the orders.  And that could lead to collectors suffering by not getting the items that they'd really like to see.  I see the potential for a negative, cascading effect that could ultimately impact collectors. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 8, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Yep - I can certainly understand having a tight budget, but if people really want to collect the bigger items, I wish they'd all put their money where their mouths are rather than waiting for clearances.

In my opinion, we're getting closer and closer to seeing Hasbro create some sort of kickass playset that will make our jaws hit the floor.  Whether it be a Star Destroyer or a Death Star - who knows.  But Hasbro clearly has a new philosphy in their 2008 push with larger items (and even the Lars homestead). 

The more we show interest in these sort of things - whether it be through our pocket books, discussion in the forums, Q&A's, create our own dioramas and post images, etc., the more of a chance we're going to see Hasbro look at ways to make these items available.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 8, 2008, 04:40 PM »
The more we show interest in these sort of things - the more of a chance we're going to see Hasbro look at ways to make these items available.

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 8, 2008, 04:42 PM »
If the Falcon is successful and they want to repeat that success, they very well could be looking at doing a companion ship in the Star Destroyer. Sort of the big good guy/bad guy ship dynamic.

Three feet long, with a detatchable top and hollowed-out center featuring Darth Vader's Bridge with crew pits and computer stations. A separate area with Vader's meditation chamber. Sort of the Kenner playset on steroids (which, of course, is exactly what the BMF is too.) Launching misslies, light-up engines, movie sounds ("No disintegrations!" "You are in command now, Admiral Piett!").

It would fail, I think, because while the fans are pumping their fists in victory over a 50% scale Falcon, there would be distaste for a 5% scale ISD. Instead of "I can't wait to shell out $150 for that" it would be "I can't believe they expect me to buy that!"

It would wind up sitting, and that would kill the big-ticket stuff again.

I have complete faith that we will see a Death Star before the end of everything, but I would believe a three-foot Star Destroyer toy would postpone it indefinitely.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: May 8, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I think it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to start with this rumor, but I could be wrong.   :-\

I agree. Even if it does pan out, I think I would ultimately pass due to cost and the whole scale issue.

Sounded more like someone tacking on their own wants to a rumor list from another site, more than anything.

As far as a Destroyer goes, I have little interest in anything unrealistic looking, so I'm not really into this, without seeing it of course.  If this were real and delivered a scale Destroyer pit or some such, maybe...  Ultimately though, with a scale $100 AT-TE and a 2.5' Falcon for $150 this year, I see a Destroyer being much less interesting/appealing.

As far as clearance goes, I think if you truly want the stuff that badly, by all means pay full price...  If you're wishy washy on it, wait for clearance because you ultimately don't care.  If you're on a tight budget, think about what you want the most and stick to the budget as best you can.

The markets dictate if this stuff works at retail or not, and if everyone's waiting for clearance than there simply isn't logic to continue it IMO, and my life doesn't end or continue based on whether it's made or not.  I'm much more vehement about figures getting made than larger ticket items, but there's some I'd love to see if they were done right (to me anyway) by Hasbro...  A truly modular Death Star for instance would be something I'd be real happy to see done, but nothing I've come to expect.  A Death Star that fits into a scaled down sphere that opens up though?  Not so much... 

I totally get where sites are whoring the notion that "if you want it, pay for it", though.  If you don't, you're only shooting yourself in the foot.  I wanted an AT-TE to-scale and I'm getting it, so no waiting for me.  I'm still deciding on the Falcon and likely will decide when I finally see it.  Throw out scale Y-Wings, X-Wings, B-Wings, Snowspeeders, AT-ST's, Speederbikes...  I'm there buying full price. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 8, 2008, 04:53 PM »
Muftak, I think a Star Destroyer could do just fine if it's done in a realistic style.  Instead of focusing on making it a vehicle make it more of a display piece... if they try and make a Star Destroyer anything like the vintage one, I'd pass.

I've already got a nice custom one that was made for me -

- but I'd sure as heck be happy if Hasbro went in this sort of direction with pieces like this one.  I'm not sure if we'll ever see it actually happen, but I'll always be in support of this style... a more adult/display style of playset.

We don't really know how it would do however until something like this is actually made though of course... but that being said, a Death Star would most certainly be a better move for Hasbro I'd think... as long as it wasn't set up to fit into some sort of sphere like Jesse pointed out.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 8, 2008, 05:43 PM »
  People have grown accustomed to the way that Target in particular handles their markdowns, and seem ready to pounce once things go on clearance.  It's almost predatory.

I think, for the most part, collectors pay full price for their SW merchandise.  In the case of most exclusives, if you try to wait until they hit clearance, you run the risk of not finding the item and then have to resort to secondary ebay prices which can be almost twice the regular retail price.

When I see something I want, I buy it.  I don't get a lot of chances to 'shop' so it's actually beneficial for me to pick something up the minute I see it.

With all of that said, I think the retailers (namely Target) are a little quick to clearance some items out.  Look at the Order 66 packs - they're great values at $10 and have some cool characters in them. 

I don't think Target gives their exclusives enough time to sell through at regular retail. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 8, 2008, 06:11 PM »
I agree ruiner... it seems for the most part collectors are willing to pay full price for most things... I heard a lot more talk of people waiting for clearances prior to ROTS toys, but since 2005 it seems like demand has increased quite a bit for Star Wars toys.

Case in point, I think that the Falcon would have pretty much bombed if they had tried to release it 5 years ago.  But for some reason, now the timing seems right. 

Offline clonebuyer111

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2008, 03:43 PM »
wow! that custom star destroyer scene is so cool! how did he make the computers?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2008, 12:15 PM »
With computers.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2008, 02:21 PM »