Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211207 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2008, 12:00 PM »
I'm sure the information is available online, but I was wondering - roughly how large would a more accurate Slave 1 be compared to the previous (AOTC/repainted OTC) version?  I know Jesse has mentioned it before, and he's the scale expert, so maybe he knows for sure.  If we got an all-new BMF Slave 1 in the next year or two, are we looking at a $60 item, $80, or in the $100 AT-TE range?  I know the current version is underscaled, but how much so?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07 PM »
I'd rather have a sailbarge.

Hells yeah!

14 point yellow text represent!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2008, 02:13 PM »
It depends...  I'm not a Slave-1 expert but it could be a fair size to be to-scale if measurements I've seen are right.  Thing is, eyeballing it in ESB makes me think it wouldn't be any larger than the AT-TE's hull really.  It looks fairly small, just "bulky".

Often times measurements aren't accurate though, from source material, so I'm reluctant to go by the listed measurements, but I'm not positive on the model's scale from the film.  That's usually a better gauge.  Slave-1 in AOTC looks pretty small though.  Just look at Jango boarding it as it takes off from his battle with Obi-Wan.  Not a big craft.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2008, 02:20 PM »
Looking at Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions web site, Slave 1 comes in at 21.5m while the Millenium Falcon comes in at 26.7m. If the Falcon were to scale, then you could pretty much take off the front teeth of the Falcon to get the length of Slave 1. They have a picture of the two side by side if you click the 10x tab.

Jess Russell's Starship Dimensions
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2008, 02:23 PM »
There's no way though the Falcon and Slave 1 are close in size...  Comparisons just visually in ESB show a significant difference.  A scale Falcon is a monster.  Completely unrealistic/unfeasible...  The prop at "Where Science Meets Imagination" is close to action figure scale, and it's the size of my dining room table. ;D

Slave 1 = dinky by comparison...  That's why I never go by "listed specs" on ships.  Model comparison is always the route to go first. 

AT-AT's are still listed at 15.5 meters tall in most books, and that's a good 6 or 7 meters off their actual height according to the films.  Listed specs often suck, but LFL never changes them (or rarely does) for whatever reason.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Slave 1 = dinky by comparison...  That's why I never go by "listed specs" on ships.  Model comparison is always the route to go first. 

do you mean the set models used in the films or the models used for the flying sequences? the former would be accurate for a size comparison, the latter wouldn't work since with all the blue screening, the flight models could vary in size drastically.

flashing back to all those "to scale" discussions of the past...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: August 1, 2008, 12:55 AM »
It depends what you want to go with...  The Slave-1 didn't have a full set model as far as I know, just boarding ramp things.  I'm guessing the AOTC ship was actually CGI'd into scenes rather than part of a set.  It doesn't look 100% to me anyway.  I'm 99% sure the ESB one was at least in part a matte painting.

If ther'es a full set piece (Snowspeeders, X-Wings, etc.) I usually go by those for scale references...  The models almost always vary in size but I don't know that Slave-1 had many models made of it.  2 perhaps?  I'm assuming you could go with either for "scale" then.   The Matte Painting from ESB is probably the best though, as you clearly see a human within its ramp, and so that's to me the best comparison.

I really don't know much on Slave-1, as it's not a favorite of mine, but it's definitely not in the ballpark of the Falcon's size.  Nowhere close.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 1, 2008, 09:40 AM »
The At-At, Slave 1 and Death Star are all at the top of my list. If I had to pick only one though, I think I'd go with the Slave 1.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 3, 2008, 08:34 PM »
The At-At, Slave 1 and Death Star are all at the top of my list. If I had to pick only one though, I think I'd go with the Slave 1.

The Slave 1 already has two molds so far... vintage/POTF2 and the SAGA/OTC version.  Any reason why you'd choose another resculpt of it over the others? 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 3, 2008, 11:48 PM »
My first choice would be a Death Star playset. My second choice would be a new larger AT-AT so that if you put an AT-AT next to the AT-TE, the AT-AT doesn't look ridiculous.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 4, 2008, 12:47 AM »
Absolutely the AT-AT is the one for me.  Intuitively I would have thought that this is the vehicle most desiring of an "up"grade (pun intended) but apparently not as many people as I thought make it a priority.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 4, 2008, 04:58 PM »

The Slave 1 already has two molds so far... vintage/POTF2 and the SAGA/OTC version.  Any reason why you'd choose another resculpt of it over the others? 

That says a lot considering I'm an imperial junky. But mainly, per the the topic, I'd like to have a bigger one. It's a cool ship.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 4, 2008, 06:33 PM »
I am of course all ready for a Death Star playset.  I say it all the time but just cannot believe this has not been done by Hasbro yet. I hope it does come true honestly.  If there is one thing in all 6 films that just screams make a playset(s) it is the Death Star.  Everything else is probably arguementative but that is a no-brainer.  Everyone has the main characters and stormtroopers by now.  They just need an enviroment to put them into. 

They love vehicles at Hasbro lately.  I am surprised a bit that they would focus their attention on Slave I. It really does not get much action in the films.  Plus, they love their $19.99 range for vehicles and that one fits perfectly.   I guess it might be cool to see what they come up with.  Maybe it will be so awesome that we all feel compelled to buy it?  There are plenty of Fett fans so it would do okay.  Who knows, maybe it will see some action in the Clone Wars series?  Boba has to learn to fly it at somepoint. 

AT-AT.  Well again it depends on what they come up with.  I have the vintage and POTF2 version.  If it is something stellar maybe I will go for it?  But I am pretty happy with the other versions and can not really see myself plunking down a lot for an all new one.  It's tough enough forking it over for the Falcon and AT-TE though. 

But yeah, I would much rather see a Sail Barge, Star Destroyer, or Rebel Blockade Runner get the big vehicle treatment before an AT-AT and Slave I.  But here you get into the whole "would anyone really buy them in droves" thing.  I would of course.  Hell I would buy a big Home One and Medical Frigate to if it was ever done.  LOL! 

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 6, 2008, 09:38 AM »
...I would of course.  Hell I would buy a big Home One and Medical Frigate to if it was ever done.  LOL! 

I'd buy a Medical Frigate in any capacity. Be that Titanium, Ultra Titanium (now a defunct line), scaled down ship, or model.

That's one ship that's been WAY overlooked. Granted it doesn't see much action. So that's why I think it would be perfect for the Titanium treatment.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 6, 2008, 06:53 PM »

I can't speak for Darth_Anton, but a Slave I seems to be a totally reasonable ship to resculpt again, if the rumors of the character's involvement in the live action series are true.  If Boba Fett is anything near a major recurring character, it would make sense that this vehicle could be a recurring location as well as a key vehicle.  Heck, if there's any of Boba catching people and throwing them in cages in his ship, I'd be more shocked if we didn't see a roughly $50 Slave I at some point.  As a center of action, there's plenty of good reason why, in 2010 or 2011, we could, in theory, see it.  Of course, the same argument could probably also be made for pretty much any vehicle-- shoehorn it into the TV show, and wait.

(Plus the Saga and OTC versions had some extensive changes between them, surely they could get a bunch of these features in a larger, single unit.  I miss the cargo hold from the original.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News