Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 211252 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #510 on: July 17, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Hopefully they do a better job at the 3D conversion then they did for TPM. 95% of the TPM was not in 3D.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #511 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57 AM »
I'll be surprised if AOTC 3D is released and there's not a Republic gunship reissue at least.

Yeah - AotC 3D would be the perfect reason to re-release the Gunship AND the AT-TE if they really felt they needed a BIG vehicle out there.  No need to waste the tooling dollars on somehting new, better to re-issue those two and build up a BMF cash base to tool up something new from the OT.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 17, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Hopefully they do a better job at the 3D conversion then they did for TPM. 95% of the TPM was not in 3D.

I'm very dubious about 3D conversion technology. If it ain't shot in 3D, it shouldn't be shown in 3D. However, I was very impressed with the 3D Lawrence of Arabia footage in Prometheus, so I'm holding out hope that it's getting better all the time, especially by ANH.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34 PM »
I skipped the AT-TE in favor of the Falcon back in 08, so I definitely would buy a rerelease. I'm happy with my lone Gunship, the "shark" one from the 2D Clone Wars cartoon. That one was like $50 back in 2006, I shudder to think of how much a repaint would cost now. Didn't they rerelease one a few years back and charge like $75?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #514 on: July 17, 2012, 02:09 PM »
The only AOTC BMF I'd want (other than a dirty/damaged AT-TE) would be a NEW Republic Gunship.  There were "rumors" (guesses?) that was happening IIRC...  tough to recall who threw what at a dartboard anymore.

I've hoped for a while they'd redo it though as I do love the Gunship design, but I really wanted a to-scale one, even moreso since they made those big turrets and they look so comically bad on the smaller-scale Gunship.

I think people assumed because it had been reissued so much, they surely would resculpt it (as they often like to do).  I just was hopeful that would happen, but seems to be out the window unless it was a smokescreen at SDCC.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 17, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I believe Hasbro's last reference to the Gunship was in a Q&A where they sounded pretty optimistic about getting another one out, although at the time I think the speculation was that it would be a TCW item with Geonosian deco. No doubt they will have backed off that now, but I can see it coming in the vintage line at some point, sure.

I don't think they've ever really lost money on those things, they all seem to hold value pretty well in the secondary market too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I agree with Jesse, the only "new" BMF item from AOTC that I'd really like to see would be a larger Gunship as well, but at the same time I could see them just re-releasing the AT-TE, the Slave I, or the original Gunship (which itself is a pretty nice toy, even if underscaled).  Like Jeff said, I'd rather they save the tooling bucks for a big OT item in the future.  I've even seen a few rumors that next year may see the release of both AOTC 3D (in Feb) and ROTS 3D (in the Fall), so maybe we'll see a bit of a duo focus for the line next year if that comes to pass.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 18, 2012, 09:13 AM »
Padme's yacht! With pop out spring action cannons and launchable swoop bike!

The thing I like least about the old gunship is that dropping troop platform. I only have a the used space doors version...without a canopy (parts like that rarely come up on ebay). Besides the doors, they added some flip out missile pods to the top cannons, but still kept that detaching floor.  :(

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #518 on: July 18, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Yeah, the detachable floor is pretty pointless. The vehicle is already—by design—made to be very easy to get out of. What would be the use of a floor that drops out? Is there a rancor beneath it?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #519 on: July 18, 2012, 01:33 PM »
From a realistic standpoint or a toy standpoint? :)  I can bull**** the former for you all day Lando.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 18, 2012, 01:43 PM »
A new Gunship, a little larger and with the turrets could be a cool item for next year.  Or just the old mold, with a great paint scheme with the turrets would be fine for my interests.

For next year's big items, I think this would suit the bill well enough:

AT-TE - repack, with sturdy legs, new/realistic weathering, AT-TE Gunner
Gunship - repack, with two turrets, Clone Pilot
Slave One - repaint w/ ESB paint scheme, with carbonite block, Boba Fett and Han Solo

Then I suppose we could see the Turbo Tank repackaged for ROTS... but I still want to see a Sail Barge and Death Star playset.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #521 on: July 18, 2012, 03:10 PM »
From a realistic standpoint or a toy standpoint? :)  I can bull**** the former for you all day Lando.

Of course!  ;)

Well, I can think of a few cons for the realistic standpoint...

1. Structural weakness
2. Impractical...There are doors a few feet away
3. Once it's down, how is it reattached?

I can understand bottom-opening doors, but the floor falling out as a solid piece seems like a bad move.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 18, 2012, 03:36 PM »
My major complaint was that as a toy, you have to be careful not to put your hand under that part of the vehicle, because you might pop the floor loose.

I also detest that control handle on the new AT-AT because sometimes it pop loose without much effort.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Of course!  ;)

Well, I can think of a few cons for the realistic standpoint...

1. Structural weakness
2. Impractical...There are doors a few feet away
3. Once it's down, how is it reattached?

I can understand bottom-opening doors, but the floor falling out as a solid piece seems like a bad move.

I can come up with half a dozen reasons why you'd have a floor exit just on the fly.  Might make for easier cargo or vehicle loading, especially if the platform has repulsors.  Maybe grappling lines are safer or more efficient running striaght out from the bottom.  If you're carrying speeders, you could unload those in motion with a floor release, rather than having to stop and let it out the side.  Maybe it's an emergency release  - why do school busses have a back door if no one uses it? I think you'd need a better coupling, but maybe you can use these for space docking, possibly even between two gunships bottom to bottom.  Maybe there is added machinery/grapplers that come out of the bottom to haul large containers or other vehicles.  Is it safer for the clones to jump out the bottom than the sides if they are sky/space jumping?  Clearly opening doors would make more sense if it is a frequently used entrance/exit, but that's less critical if it is an emergency door. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #524 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15 PM »
The main purpose I could see for a "pop out floor" from the rear is rapid deployment of cargo in the back...  the Gunship would be more than a troop transport I think.  Versatility woudl be very important...  Specializing the vehicle would limit its usefulness.  This could be said for many SW vehicle designs...  AT-AT's might have a variety of "fits" for their belly holds for instance, for carrying more than just soldiers into war.

It's the same argument that could made for the AT-AT having multiple means of deploying what is in its belly...  A zip-line-only method of deploying soldiers limits that vehicle's abilities on the field, but I digress.

With the Gunship, I would see the ability to drop the entire floor out of the back as sort of a rapid deployment of equipment, more than men...  A gunship hits the ground, or even just comes in low and drops the floor...  Perhaps it's designed to slide a bit and the ship wouldn't even have to stop.  Tied to it are cargo containers of medical supplies, munitions, food, etc.

Sort of akin to rapid deployment of cargo out the back of airplanes today...  fly in low, and shove it out the back with small chutes to slow it down as it slides across the ground.  There's everything from tanks to bundled cargo could be delivered that way.

I think that's the most plausible reason though...  speed.  It makes an interesting play feature on the toy though...  That was one vehicle I think Hasbro got pretty right from top to bottom, as toys go.  My only beef has always been its size...  I'd like a new, larger one, for that reason.  Including a lot of the same features would be cool too, like the deploying side doors, and the ability to lock the to-scale gun turrets on the sides.  I'd dig both. 

Having atmosphere and non-atmosphere doors would be a nice plus too.