Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212433 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #600 on: April 5, 2018, 11:10 PM »
But hallways!  ;D #Trolling

Seriously, as much as I love me some Rebels, the Tantive IV never struck me as a toy I wanted.  It is, for all intents and purposes, just hallways guys shoot at each other in.  While I want them, I think that's something far more suited to GTP to pull off.

The barge I think works for so many other people because it's something almost designed to fit on a shelf as a large display, but it's all encompassing, the scale isn't absurd at all...  it's got everything going for it.  It's really quite shelf-like in its displayability.  While I think the idea of stackable interlocking hallways works for that, I think it isn't an avenue Hasbro will want to explore.  They'll want something more like a large "shape" that has lots of environments to it.  As such, my interest in anything like that will depend a lot on what it looks like. I can personally see myself not supporting quite a lot of designs that could come out.

That said if they did random interlocking "scenes" from anything in a customizable format, I'm in, but I don't expect that.  I'd be surprised by that.

Scale ships, that is 1/20-ish (scale's arguable on so much) scale, would have my attention for sure.  A Slave-I would be large, but not Barge Large I don't believe.  Y-Wing and X-Wing would definitely be doable as the Hero X-Wing is actually larger than 1/20 scale.  I'm interested and would wholeheartedly get behind those, but I also don't believe that's where Hasbro wants to go.  I could be wrong.  It'd be like UCS Lego type stuff but for Hasbro.  Any OT starfighter would have my full support.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #601 on: April 5, 2018, 11:17 PM »
I want the Ghost.  Something the Phantom could attach to.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #602 on: April 5, 2018, 11:21 PM »
If I were a betting man, I'd say they're going to try and re-do the vintage Rebel Transport with HasLab at some point.

It's too niche/boring for regular retail with all the new media choices out there but it's something that will attract a lot of collector interest since it's a Kenner item that hasn't been redone yet and would slot into the "Vintage Collection" aesthetic nicely.  Maybe 2020 for ESB 40th?
« Last Edit: April 5, 2018, 11:22 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 5, 2018, 11:39 PM »
I think a Tantive IV makes a lot of sense but I question the demand.  It could work out great if the sides came off to reveal the iconic hallways, detachable escape pod, landing gear with an improvised loading ramp, etc.  They could design something epic that is 42" or so if they do their homework... it would absolutely need a couple exclusive pack in figures though.... candidates could be BAD C-3PO and R2-D2 on POTF cardbacks.

That being said, I think they should make a Death Star while the iron is hot and if that goes well, consider the Tantive or a Bespin playset.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #604 on: April 5, 2018, 11:41 PM »
I'd LOVE a Rebel Transport. Always loved that ship.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 6, 2018, 12:20 AM »
What would you pay for a rebel transport?  It's cool and all but I have doubts on the overall demand... the original was basically a figure case disguised as a ship for kids....

A modern one aimed at adults would probably need a different approach.... with an elaborate interior.... could be really cool if done right though of course, and I'd probably be up for it.  It's low on my priority list though compared to some other items.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #606 on: April 6, 2018, 12:29 AM »
The Rebel Transport having a TVC basis is an interesting argument for it, and something I hadn't considered.  Man I wish they'd do the mini-rigs, but do them like to-scale.  Just re-release the Atgar laser tower as the radar laser cannon, fill in some other stuff.  I'd love a new tripod cannon.  Kind off on a tangent, just thinking about TVC things that we never got a modern update on in that packaging.

Anyway, yeah, there is no dead end here I don't think, and anything is fair game to get done.  Just certain directions and ideas, I just don't see them going certain ways.

The ghost is cool and I'd be happy for people who got one, but I can't see them doing that to-scale and for me that'd be a deal breaker on it.  It's a lot smaller than the Falcon I believe but still massive so I'm not banking on that in the slightest.  Even Slave-I I think is doable but unlikely.  They'll consider the last one good enough I'm sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 6, 2018, 06:37 AM »
I'd be into a revamped Rebel transport.  That ship has turned up in Rebels, Rogue One, TESB, ROTJ and even TLJ.  Granted, the only time we ever saw the interior was in Rebels, but it is a workhorse of a ship for the Rebellion.

I think if the exterior got re-done to reflect the lines of the ship as it's seen on screen that would be a good first step.  Then the interior.  Could they do that dorsal cockpit pod in such a way to make it look right?  Who knows.  But if they could incorporate a modern mini-rig?  That would be fantastic!  Something like the MLC-3, but if it would incorporate design elements like this echo base gun from this deleted scene?  That would be a selling point I'd be into.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #608 on: April 6, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I feel like the TVC Slave 1 is actually pretty great, and pairs up well with the BMF. The entry ramp could be more accurate for sure, and the interior stinks, but that might be more of a job for customizers than Haslab.

I do think Hasbro will use this angle to create more press-worthy items though, so we may not see the logical items we would expect like Y-Wings and other slightly-more-to-scale smaller ships. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they started pumping out definitive versions of Star Wars ships, but I just wonder if each campaign will need to make a bigger and bigger splash. I guess it depends on how much the marketing team gets involved and fouls it up.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 6, 2018, 08:58 AM »
HasLab is probably going to take a break from Star Wars for a while.  I would expect that they almost certainly would not do another Star Wars campaign until the Sail Barge is delivered next year.

And from what I understand the concept is going to be used for other brands like Transformers and Marvel, so I would expect one of those licenses to roll out a campaign some time in the next few months.  My guess is that they would do that around SDCC.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2018, 09:14 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 6, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I want the Ghost.  Something the Phantom could attach to.

Seconded! I bet this is something they had in some stage of development at one point too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 6, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Maybe go smaller.  An updated Skiff?  How cool would a TFA replacement dish for the BMF be?  Or maybe go with the AT-M6? 

I think we will be disappointed when the next HasLab is not Hasbro.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 6, 2018, 09:39 AM »
HasLab is probably going to take a break from Star Wars for a while.  I would expect that they almost certainly would not do another Star Wars campaign until the Sail Barge is delivered next year.

And from what I understand the concept is going to be used for other brands like Transformers and Marvel, so I would expect one of those licenses to roll out a campaign some time in the next few months.  My guess is that they would do that around SDCC.

I could see one at a time per line...

Maybe go smaller.  An updated Skiff?  How cool would a TFA replacement dish for the BMF be?  Or maybe go with the AT-M6? 

I think we will be disappointed when the next HasLab is not Hasbro.

I don't know that they'd do small stuff... 8,810 orders for the sail barge is a ton, but the margin is probably pretty solid on each one...

Could you imagine them selling a really nice Skiff for like $60 or $70 shipped and having to ship 25,000 orders while only profiting $20 or $30 each?  At some point in the scale and price of an item, the amount of work going into shipping to individual customers outweighs the margins they're making.  It's not the same case when you're just shipping pallets full of cases of smaller stuff to distribution centers.

All that said, I do think The Ghost is the kind of item that makes sense... if they think the demand is there. 
« Last Edit: April 6, 2018, 09:40 AM by Rob »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #613 on: April 6, 2018, 09:45 AM »
The Ghost would be great, and maybe makes the most sense, if it shows up in future TV. I'd wager a updated Skiff will hit retail next year, to go along with the Barge. A re-release of the POTF mold is possible, but let's see something new.

Love all the ideas on the transport. Probably way down the list, but I'd buy it. The next SW HasLab will be TF next year, almost certainly, and it will be something massive like the DS or so left field no one will guess. But it's fun guessing.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #614 on: April 6, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Pitch meeting at HasLab:

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette....I have an idea!"
This is the way.

I have spoken.