Author Topic: May 1st - What are you buying?  (Read 22131 times)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Re: May 1st - What are you buying?
« Reply #45 on: May 1, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Hasbro Toy Shop is showing basically anything that's out now in stock and at $6.99ea. Why is it that Hasbro is selling these for less than the retail price? Or is it the retailers who are just trying to push the price up? Either way it seems like Hasbro want's to gradually push buyers into buying from them instead of stores. Reminds of something Marvel did back in the early/mid 90's. A move that put a lot of comic shops out of business...

I preordered cases on this line. I'd rather pay the shipping, get the complete assortment and not waste a bunch of gas doing it. I don't have them yet but I can wait and it sounds like stores might be dropping the ball on this one. I'm pretty much only interested in ROTLA and TLC figures. I wasn't a big fan of TOD. I may change my tune though once I see these in person. I'd like to see them release updated versions of older playsets but since they have yet to put out an updated Death Star I doubt I'll see an updated map room or well of souls.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 1, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Today I hit two Targets - one had Wave 1 figures, grabbed 1-2 of each.  The same store had the vehicles and wave one deluxes, but I already had those so I passed, except for grabbing another Nazi 2-pk.

Hit three Walmarts - none had the figures out, but I was able to pop open a couple cases at one store of Wave 2 - so I got one each of that wave.

Hit TRU, they had about 3-4 cases of Wave 2 out, I grabbed a couple extras.  No deluxes or vehicles were there though, or even space for them.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 1, 2008, 01:23 PM »
I'm glad someone mentioned the paint apps.  I forgot this in my last post but I went through the entire rack of figures to find an Indy that I liked.  This is the one with the fertility idol from RotlA.  Most of them had messed up eyes that made Indy look crazed.  Finally found one with good paint apps. 

The other characters didn't seem to suffer the same problem.  Even the Cairo Indy and the Deluxe were mostly fine, just the version I was after...figures...

I wish I'd caught that 20% and free shipping coupon on HTS.com.  I would have ordered the truck and a couple more figures.  Oh, well.  I'll use the Target coupons.

I also wanted to mention that after seeing these in person I'm more impressed with them.  Especially figures like the German soldiers, Marion and Monkey Man.  They really look well done.  I'll be opening these when I get home so I hope they hold up as toys.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 1, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Ok - so at lunch I went to the TRU near where I work and I was able to pick up the following:

1x Indy w/Crystal Skull
1x Indy w/Bazooka
1x Mutt w/Sword
1x Mutt w/Snake
1x Cemetary Warrior
1x Russian Soldier
1x Colonel Dovchenko
1x Ugha Warrior

1x Indy w/Horse
1x Indy w/Temple Pitfall
1x Indy w/Temple Trap
1x German Soldier w/Motorcycle

They had several cases of Wave 2 Rev 2 and Wave 2 Rev 3 and neither case seemed to have an Irina Spalko - so that's the only figure I still need from the first two waves.

I'll probably try to pick up a couple more Ugha Warriors and Russian Soldiers (like I did with the German Soldier figure) but I'm going to wait on that.

The figures at TRU all rang up for $6.99 and the deluxe figures were the same as at Target, $9.99.

They had three cases of the vehicles assortment, but they were still closed and the employees were giving me a hard time for going through the open boxes so I wasn't about to open any of them. I'll go back after work and see if the Jungle Cutter is there, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2008, 01:28 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 1, 2008, 02:37 PM »
I made a run to TRU this morning and picked up most of what I was looking for.  They had both Wave 1 and 2 there (no Marions though), but didn't have the deluxe of the vehicles.  They had a modest section at the front of the store (a display aisle split with Dark Knight, Iron Man, Hulk, and Narnia).  Overall they probably just had a case of each there or so.  When I got home I realized that I forgot to grab the jacketed version of the KOTCS Indy, but that one hopefully won't be too tough to grab later.  I stopped off at the WM next to TRU to see if they had there stuff out, and they did.  It was just in the normal aisle next to Star Wars.  I was able to grab the Cemetery Warrior from KOTCS (TRU also didn't have that one), a few deluxes (German Soldiers, Indy w/Ark, Marion/Henchman), and decided to grab the Truck.

Overall, the only things I don't recall seeing at either store were the basic Marion figure, the deluxe Indy w/Horse and German Motorcycle, or - surprisingly - any of the Mighty Muggs or Tater (unless I missed them, wasn't looking that hard).  I'm with others that have mentioned it, the Mrs. isn't thrilled about me picking this stuff either.  I try to explain the "other things I could be spending money on", as well as the "Star Wars lull", but they don't seem to be hitting the mark this time :).  Overall, a big haul though I guess, and its nice to not have too much to look for for awhile now.  We should start a "May 1st Haul" thread like we did with ROTS stuff, just to see what everyone is finding and picking up :).  Oh, and the basic figs were $6.99 at TRU, $6.94 at WM here.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 1, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Yep... Target's charging higher than Wally and TRU for the initial launch... as predicted... they seem to have a trend going here.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 1, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Here's my May 1st haul, even though most of you couldn't care less:

TARGET
9 Nazi Soldiers (3 Basic, 3 2-packs)
Indiana Jones (Cairo)
Indiana Jones with Ark
German Troop Car
German Truck

All cool stuff right here. The Nazis make good Imperial infantry, so I'll definitely have to get another 3-7 more. The Cairo Indy is surprisingly cool. The bendy whip/action feature are a lot of fun. The vehicles are superb. The boxes are nifty, and would be cool to see on Star Wars toys.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #52 on: May 1, 2008, 06:59 PM »
so in my haste this morning becuase i went before work, i totally left the russian soldier on the pegs.  :-[ Stupid me...so now i just need him.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: May 1, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Bought a Monkey Man at Wal-Mart.  Cool figure but needed knee articulation IMO.  The robes open enough it would be useful.

Cool monkey.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 1, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I haven't seen any of these yet in either Walmart or Target - but when I do my sole interest is a few of these guys for the AK-47 assault rifles and beretta style handguns:

Gotta arm my 30 Dresselian guerrillas with slug-firing weapons.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #55 on: May 1, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Actually, at my TRU, there was no Russion Sodier.  Or Cemetary Warrior, Sallah, Monkey Man and Marion.  It's cool I guess, I got lots of stuff, but still need to search.  Hasbro is sooooo sneaky!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 1, 2008, 09:26 PM »
according to zellers these dont come out till tommorow and wm doesnt even know what indy was and kept telling me to go to the electronics dept. WTF for toys? today was a flop. made me lose a little interest in this line.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #57 on: May 1, 2008, 09:54 PM »
It's funny, my wife seems very behind me collecting.  I guess she has enough friends whose husbands go drinking often, or spend every sunday of football season in front of the TV or at Giants Stadium.  There's a lot worse spending habits I could develop.  I guess the fact that we got a stupid huge tax return (five digits...) and that two of my books are selling well there's some wiggle room with money right now...which is good.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 1, 2008, 10:11 PM »
Canadian Indy debut was clearly a weird experience. 

Like jangotat I didn't find anything at Zellers (a lame Canadian parallel to Target, but probably closer to K-Mart).

Only one of four Walmarts had anything out and it was just one case of deluxe figures.  They clocked in at 16.92 per which is just too much for me when US retail is $9.99. 

TRU had some stuff out including vehicles, deluxe, 12" and ROTLA figs, but no KOTCS at all. 

I didn't spring for any of the single carded figures for a couple of reasons.  First, the price.  Not bad by Canadian standards at $9.99 for single figures but knowing there might be another HTS.com coupon and free shiping that'll take them down to half that price means I'm in no hurry.  The second reason is the bigger reason.  Indy's eyes, and it didn't matter whether it was the figure with the jacket or without, were like a two year old painted them on.  They are exactly like the photos that I was hoping were prototypes that were to be fixed, but nope.  I looked at every figure of those single carded Indy's and wouldn't and won't buy them.  I want the figs, I want the accessories that come with it, but that's one serious thyroid problem there.  And I could get it if it was a production run on just one of the regular figures, but both?  Quality control out sick the day those ran through?  Yeesh. 

Thankfully TRU had some mispricing on their stuff.  Never is TRU cheaper than Walmart in Canada on anything at regular price but at one of the stores they had the $9.99 SKU on the peg for the deluxe figures.  I took them to the scanner but they came up not on file.  So I went to the checkout and was honest saying don't know your price, checked, nada.  The girl went and grabbed the SKU off the pegs and ran them through at $9.99 each.  Not a big deal south of the border but it saved me $7+taxes on each of the four I bought.  Over $30 8)

So in checking over the figures, I found a couple of Indy's that looked ok.  I picked up and am happy with:
Indiana Jones with Ark
Indiana Jones with Temple Trap - I had zero intention of buying this, but it was the only decent ROTLA Indy
Marion Ravenwood and Cairo Henchman - the Marions are indeed identical and some have bad eyes too :-\
German Soldiers

I was hoping they'd have had Indy with horse and the German motorcycle at that price too, but none at either TRU unfortunately.

I'm hopeful the later Indiana figures in assortments are better done for the eyes, or I probably won't be buying them.  Honestly, they look that crappy.  Please, please Hasbro, don't butcher anymore of the eyes on these figures or this line is dead as a doornail before the movie ever comes out. 
« Last Edit: May 1, 2008, 11:09 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #59 on: May 1, 2008, 10:55 PM »
I ended up with everything I was looking for after stopping at WM, which earlier (around noon) didn't have anything out. I did find Spalko and the Indy w/ Ark there. I was going to buy the Indy figures from KOTCS, but all the figures there had eye paint that made them look cross-eyed.

I didn't see any Sallah or Monkey Man figures at all today, and only one Marion.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk