Author Topic: JediJman's Collection - New Death Star Update End of Page 2  (Read 16177 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
**EDIT** You may need to scroll to the bottom and move the scroll bar to the right to view horizontal pics. 

All the recent collection photos have inspired me to share some remodeling of my Star Wars room.  Kind of hard to see from the pictures (Jay may inspire me to do a video once its done!), but here's a quick overview:

South Wall

has 12 figures on top, three dioramas (Clones, Hoth Battle, Endor Battle), and most of my basic carded figs (banker boxes, 3 x 9 x 2).

East Wall

has my loose figure collection - every figure from POTF2 to present (still need to open latest Legends and TAC waves)

My Detolf with Avengers/Misc Legends Figs:

West Wall and North Wall
(closet) are not pictured - will be updating those once everything else is completed.

Transformers

Center Display
is what I'm working on now.  Got the Display cabinet from my mother-in-law and will be stocking with vintage figs, couple of ships, vintage 12", and modern exclusives.  Think I have room for my customs in here too, but we'll see.

Behind the cabinet is a large octogon display.  I'm working on the top right now, which will be a Death Star diorama.  The black octogon in the garage is a pre-fab board that I drilled about 1,000 holes into, then painted yesterday.  This will serve as the floor of the death star - holes are just the right size to fit ulteramma pegs for figures, so I won't need stands and can fit troops closer together.  I also have three vintage DS playsets, a falcon, and a shuttle that all need to go on here - might be tight even though its 4' by 4'.  

Anyway, just wanted to document a "before" picture as I'm hoping to make major changes throughout the week.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:28 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Re: JediJman's Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Very nice- I like your plan for the Death Star set- Good luck!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Impressive.  Can't wait to see the Death Star setup.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2008, 10:20 PM »
Added some pictures to the DS work in progress...

« Last Edit: May 6, 2008, 10:20 PM by JediJman »
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2008, 11:15 PM »
Good stuff JediJman! Here's what I like and don't like:

DEATH STAR SETUP- Love it already. The combination of all of the playsets is great. It looks very imposing. The lava lamp also adds a cool, eerie, and evil look to it. I can't wait to see the finished product there.

EAST WALL- Lots of awesome figures there. The only problem is that each shelf gets more and more crowded as you look down. Have you considered displaying only one of each character/outfit instead of one of every figure? I think the complete figure series that you have going is great, but the insane numbers of figures kind of detracts from the overall cool factor and makes for a messier display.

SOUTH WALL- Even though things look crowded, I think the displays look pretty cool. You pulled off a nice Clone Army display because no one color really jumped out at me. Each Legion Color seemed to transition nicely into the other surrounding groups. The Yellow battalion in the upper right corner struck me as really badass looking, definitely the best of the display. Plus, I don't see any of those silly purple clones in there... good for you!

The Hoth display is interesting. Lots of neat gear and weaponry on the Rebel side. Due to the size of your armies, I'd love to see what you could make out of a larger display area. Having three AT-ATs on top of each other looks kind of odd, but spaced out would be really cool. Have you considered replacing one or two of the AT-ATs with the smaller chicken walkers? I believe that would make the display look a lot less cramped and enable more of your Snowtroopers to be seen.

The Endor display is pretty kick ass. I think you need to cut down on your Rebel Troopers or get a helluva lot more Ewoks, cuz I don't see enough of the little fuzzballs. Your Imperial platoon could use some more Stormtroopers mixed in. The chrome AT-ST really looks good compared to the other items...very detailed and unique.

I really like the boxed items set up behind the battle/scene displays. I think you should try to coordinate the colors more... POTF2/green box stuff behind the Endor display, Saga/blue boxes behind the Hoth display, and everything else behind the clone display. 

Anyway, you have some great stuff going down and I can't wait to see more pictures.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2008, 09:16 AM »
Great collection Justin!

A couple things...

1. Is there anything Star Wars that you don't collect? ;) ;) ;)

2. How big is the room? I ask only because everything seams so crammed together.

3. All the different displays are cool, but have you ever considered rotating displays to allow for more space so everything didn't look cramped?

4. Considered using step risers to show off your figures? Gives a layered look and makes it look less like a crowd or that someone just dumped everything there.

Like I said, this is awesome! Now I know why you and I have been competing for all the Scout Troopers here on the West Side! ;) The combination of Vintage & Modern (Hoth, Endor, Death Star) are great. Greg is right that you need more fuzballs!!!
« Last Edit: May 7, 2008, 09:41 AM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Cool stuff! If I had a dedicated room, I'd probably have something like that. Too Bad So Cal homes don't have basements.  >:(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2008, 09:30 AM »
How'd you add additional shelving to your Detolf?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2008, 11:02 AM »
It's a cool display having seen it in person. And yeah, Justin does have limited space to display. I really like the DS set-up, can't wait to see it done.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 7, 2008, 04:37 PM »
I think you need to cut down on your Rebel Troopers or get a helluva lot more Ewoks, cuz I don't see enough of the little fuzzballs.

Greg is right that you need more fuzballs!!!

::)

Good stuff Justin. 

Like Mikey said, how'd you add shelves to the Detolf?  Also, where do you get risers for shelves (generic question, not directed at Justin specifically)?  I'm dying to find some clear plastic ones for my shelves. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 7, 2008, 10:49 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys!  Great to hear what people think and get other ideas.  I'm going to try to address everything in one post, so I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy response.

1.) Death Star Setup
This is definitely the display I'm most excited about, so glad to see so many others excited about it.  The Blue lamp has random streaks of lightning running through it when turned on - very much like the core of the death star in ROTJ.  Doesn't show up well in photos, but the very first picture kind of shows a "bolt" of the lightning.  I added the Falcon under the ultarama display and the shuttle will back up to the vintage playsets, so hoping this one doesn't look too crammed in as well.  Need to find something to cover the back of the front display as well - looks a little odd to see wood paneling along one wall of the death star.  Maybe I can sweet talk Jay into printing me up a cool poster to cover it.

2.) East Wall - All Figures from POTF2 through current
Yes, I have thought about just displaying some of these figures and/or organizing them by character/movie/etc. Thing is, I'm a completist and one of my personal collecting goals is to have one of each figure (including variations) in that display.  Only showing some of it kind of goes against my nature and to be honest, I really like having a visual display of all the figures in the order they were released.  I'm always astounded by how many figures have been released since '95.

2A.) Risers
I have thought about risers and will probably upgrade to this someday.  For now, I've found the clear risers to be just too expensive.  That display is about five feet high by six feet long, so buying clear risers at $10-20 per linear foot seems pricey.  I want clear ones because I don't have lights on each shelf and its nice to let some of the light feed through the shelves.  I know there are a few sites that sell risers in various sizes.  I've also heard people having luck with spice racks from Target/Wal-Mart.

2B.) Detolf
I bought two Detolf cabinets back in the day.  One is clearly visible holding the Legends figs, but you'll notice it has no door...I took the door from this one and all four sides of the other one to make the clear shelves that all my loose figures are sitting on.  I have pegs in the sides of the wood to hold the shelves as well as ulterama columns for support.  As for the remaining Detolf, I have three extra shelves from the "spare detolf" and am using two of them plus the original three in my remaining Detolf display.  But how to support those shelves?  I thought about 4 column supports (wood or PVC or something), but that wasn't very stable.  Then I thought about drilling in the metal frame and screwing in a piece of plastic coat hanger to create extra shelves, but didn't want to pull them all apart to drill and thought it would still look junky.  So, I wandered endlessly around Menard's seeking an answer until I came across some metal stands in the grilling department.  They are about 4" x 4" and sit inside a grill to hold chicken up off the grill.  They were exactly half the height between shelves, so I put a few clear rubber bands around the top pieces for traction and viola! instant shelf support.  It takes up a chunk of the bottom split shelf, but the added bars actually provide additional support for figures to lean on.  I'll try to get closer pictures of these next time I update. 

3.) South Wall Displays
I'm going back to putting all of my loose 12" on the top shelf.  I have a bunch of packaged 12" behind them, which kind of blocks them out, but I tried to make sure that you can stil see a portion of each.  The key to this section is a way to hide a vast amount of carded figures in a tight space.  The entire bottom section is dedicated to banker boxes of carded figs, so this display is about three feet deep.  Middle sections create additional storage with packages in the back and a diorama in the front.  The layout of the boxes in back are pretty much determined by what fits in the space.

3A.) Clonetroopers
This section will be redone once I have a lose AT-TE.  Not sure if I can fit all the existing clones along with that, and I have about 100 more (including purple ones!) that could go into it.  Interesting to hear that people liked the mix - I felt this set was a little messy without colored squads perfectly lining up, but I did try to keep red detailed figs together, yellow together, etc. 

3B.) Hoth Battle
Redoing this as well.  I'll be adding at least two of the Target UBP Cannons to the Rebel side, but hoping I can still fit in the trench.  One of the Walkers will be going as well - this was just a way to store all three of my lose ones.  I had one loose and 4 boxed, so I opened two more to squeeze them in.  One will go into storage and I'll add one or two chicken walkers from the UBP.  Hoping to add some more uneven snow terrain as well.  Any ideas?

3C.) Endor Battle
You guys didn't see it, but in ROTJ, the Rebels sent in 500 Rebel Commandos to take the bunker.  They're just slightly off screen.  Okay, got a little out of control with commandoes as I added to this one.  I'll be taking down several commandos and adding a bunch of mix and match ewoks from UPB and TAC two packs.  I also have a gazillion Biker Scouts to add in, as well as a few more stormies. 

4.) The Room
This is a basement "bedroom" with no windows.  Its about 12x14 I think, but I'm limited to just this room and a small section of an adjoining storage area, which is also holding a bunch of comics.  With displays on all four walls, it definitely feels much smaller, but I'm not sure ow I could lay it out differently.  You can walk all the way around the center display, but I'm definitely at minimal walking space.

5.) What I Collect
May look like a lot, but I really try to just stick with 4" Hasbro Star Wars figs and ships.  I get one of each carded, one of each loose, then extras for displays.  I have all of the Hasbro 12" figures boxed and maybe half of the loose, plus most of the SSC 12" figs.  I also collect Galactic heroes, Kubricks, Marvel Legends, and Transformers, but I'm not a completist on any of those.  Back to Star Wars - its not shown, but I have one or more of each vintage figure loose (excluding Blue Snaggletooth) and about 50 carded vintage.  The loose figs are going in the front display and carded vintage are in acrylic displays in the next room.

Thanks again for the great feedback & please keep it coming!  I appreciate all the advice.  Hope to have some new photos soon!
« Last Edit: May 7, 2008, 10:55 PM by JediJman »

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 8, 2008, 09:17 AM »
2A.) Risers
I have thought about risers and will probably upgrade to this someday.  For now, I've found the clear risers to be just too expensive.  That display is about five feet high by six feet long, so buying clear risers at $10-20 per linear foot seems pricey.  I want clear ones because I don't have lights on each shelf and its nice to let some of the light feed through the shelves.  I know there are a few sites that sell risers in various sizes.  I've also heard people having luck with spice racks from Target/Wal-Mart.

Justin -

I have purchased some risers from Showcase Disign. They are a local company so if you are willing to drive to Lino Lakes to pick them up they are not that badly priced.

17" 2 step riser - $19.95
23" 2 step riser - $24.95
34" 2 step riser - $29.95
46" 2 step riser - $34.95

I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 8, 2008, 10:27 AM »

Justin -

I have purchased some risers from Showcase Disign. They are a local company so if you are willing to drive to Lino Lakes to pick them up they are not that badly priced.

17" 2 step riser - $19.95
23" 2 step riser - $24.95
34" 2 step riser - $29.95
46" 2 step riser - $34.95

Good to know - I think this is one of the places I have looked at in the past.  I have 6 shelves about 72" each, so I would need 12 of the 34" risers and that would cost about $360.  Pretty major investment unless they're willing to let me pay with Hasbro Rewards Coupons.  ;)  Someday though...
« Last Edit: May 9, 2008, 11:34 AM by JediJman »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 9, 2008, 12:33 AM »
The Death Star setup is great idea, especially with such a wide space available to you.  8)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Death Star Updated with Shuttle and Falcon...

12" Collection Updated...