Author Topic: The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD
« on: June 22, 2003, 11:37 PM »
Am I the only one that hates this excuse for a book trilogy? It is apparent that these children have terrible taste when it comes to good books. >:(

Just had to get that out.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
Re: The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 11:43 PM »
yah those darn kids...lame thread.  what would you have them read?  I think anything that gets anyone, not just kids, to read is a good thing.
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 11:45 PM »
LOTR series, Jurassic Park and the Lost World. That is all I can think of right now.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 11:53 PM »
lotr and jurrasic park are both great (and so is lost world if you are referring to the arthur conan doyle one and not crichton's) but I don't see many kids reading them (the hobbit would also be a good one) but both seem kind of much for your average kid (10 or so).  harry potter is a good level for young readers and is enjoyable to many older readers as well.  I taught middle school for a bit and it was refreshing to see kids that normally wouldn't read anyting excited about books.  that in turn led to a lot of 'if you like that you might also enjoy...' conversations.  different strokes I guess.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 11:57 PM by Mandalorian Madman »
JD

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 11:56 PM »
I read the JP in 5th grade. And that was when Harry Potter was becoming popular.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 11:57 PM »
congratulations. that's a good read for a 5th grader but like I said, I see more kids reading potter than jp.  my point is, it gets people to read.  and that's a good thing isn't it?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 12:00 AM by Mandalorian Madman »
JD

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2003, 11:59 PM »
Yes, unfortunately. When I got older I realized how lame Harry Potter was.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 12:02 AM »
I haven't read them yet and have put it off so far though I might pick them up if I get a chance and get my current stack whittled down.  my wife and and a couple of my buddies really dig them.  I wonder how many books it is going to be, if it will turn out like the jordan wheel of time thing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 01:43 AM by Mandalorian Madman »
JD

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 12:20 AM »
Well, you might think that Harry Potter is lame, but there were 1 million copies of the book sold within the first 48 hours of being released to the public.  It must not be THAT lame I guess, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 12:27 AM »
If you don't like Harry Potter, that's your opinion, but apparently a lot of people enjoy reading these books - so I say leave them be.

A good friend of mine said she wouldn't read any books if it weren't for the HP's, and she's not the only one with this kind of attitude towards reading, so I wouldn't say I hate it.

BTW - I'm not sure what grade you're in, but just wait till your Junior or Senior year when you've gotta read a bunch of garbage like 'their eyes were watching god'.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 12:32 AM »
BTW - I'm not sure what grade you're in, but just wait till your Junior or Senior year when you've gotta read a bunch of garbage like 'their eyes were watching god'.

I think that's going to be a while Brad, since I'm pretty sure DG here is 12 years old...  DG, if you think you're "too old" for HP, then we must have a lot of real weirdos here in our forums, as well as those of Galactic Hunter's and Rebelscum, since many members (and their wives) in their 20's and 30's absolutely LOVE this series of books (which closely mirror the Star Wars story line in many respects).

But I'll respect your opinion that you're not a fan of these, as long as you respect the vast majority of opinions from members who ARE a fan of this series.  Deal?  Good.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 12:40 AM »
Yep, I totally support that you don't like them DG.  I haven't read them either, but only because I'm inherently lazy.  

The only real comment I have is that far and away JediMac is right.  Age is largely irrelevant.  One of the other forums I frequent is loaded with HP fans and the majority are older than I am.  And before anyone suggests that these guys are both old and dumb, I would suggest caution.  The bulk have multiple graduate degrees and have some pretty damn big brains.  

Maybe kid stuff, maybe just an enjoyable read.  But hey, I don't like Ewoks, that doesn't make me a bad person, does it?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 01:46 AM »
Just to let you all know I read the first and part of the second, so. *shudders*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 01:46 AM by Darth Ghidorah »
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Official I HATE HARRY POTTER THREAD
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 02:01 AM »
I wonder how many books it is going to be, if it will turn out like the jordan wheel of time thing.

Actually there is only going to be seven books total. JK Rowling has officially stated that she wants the seres to end at seven. Question or you experts: how old was Harry, Hermione, and Ron when the first got into Hogwarts? Because since each book represents one year at Hogwarts, then when the series ends they will be grown up.

And Ghidora like everyone else has said, it's ok to voice your opinion about how you feel about the books, but remember it is your opinon. Don't bash other's tastes, to each his or her own. I also agree with the other's statements, anything that has made kids desperate to read a new book, can't be bad at all.

Oh and do you think they might be able to get the actors back fo all seven films? I know Potter has said he wanted to concentrate on school, after the third one. But I hope he realises that he doesn't really have the face of a star, and that these movies might be his only claim to fame. So he should contiue for as long as he can, besides it's only seven books. And granted they might not all make it to the silver screen.

Oh and any word on who wil be the new Dumbledore. If you know, can you also post pics please!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 02:32 AM »
the new dumbledore is going to be michael gambon...he played baltus van tassel in sleepy hollow and sir william mccordle in gosford park

pic 1

pic 2
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 02:38 AM by Mandalorian Madman »
JD