Author Topic: Building My Own Deck - Photo Journal  (Read 13073 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Building My Own Deck - Photo Journal
« Reply #30 on: June 4, 2008, 11:57 PM »
I've got one and a half boards left to go with the decking and then we start the stairs...  Those are going to be a bitch to attach, however once they are done I'm pretty much in the home stretch with the finish wood.

Not using stair stringers?  I prefer the metal ones as the wood seem too flimsy.  Or are you going with an enclosed 'box' for the stairs?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2008, 02:02 AM »
Not using stair stringers?  I prefer the metal ones as the wood seem too flimsy.  Or are you going with an enclosed 'box' for the stairs?

I'm actually re-using the stairs that came with the house.  I'm going to be taking the wood stairs off and replacing them with the composite material, but the stringers that were originally used for the staircase will be re-used again.  I'll try to take a few before and after pictures and then post them.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 8, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I'll try to take a few before and after pictures and then post them.

We finished pouring the concrete for the landing, placing the staircase, and attaching the railings over the last few days.  We managed all this while continually under either severe thunderstorm warnings or tornado warnings.  I wasn't able to get any new pictures over the last few days, but I'll hopefully be able to snap a few in the next few days.

Uh-oh, gotta go, they just posted another tornado warning and the sirens are going off...  Gotta head to the basement!

*EDIT*

Sorry about the quick exit.  The weather around here has been crazy the last few days.  We are still under a severe thunderstorm warning until 10:15...

Anyway, the plan for the rest of the week is to put the balusters on the railings and start replacing the wood on the stairs with the composite material.  This is all weather permitting of course.  I should get the brick delivered this week and we will start on the brick this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2008, 10:44 PM by I Am Sith »
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 9, 2008, 10:18 PM »
We finished pouring the concrete for the landing, placing the staircase, and attaching the railings over the last few days.  I wasn't able to get any new pictures over the last few days, but I'll hopefully be able to snap a few in the next few days.

As promised:

I started the balusters tonight too.  I got three sections done and will hopefully get at least two more done tomorrow.  Once those are done I'll start the stairs.  I'm also getting the brick delivered tomorrow so we'll definitely be doing some brick work this weekend!  More to come in a few days.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #34 on: June 9, 2008, 11:58 PM »
Wow.  Looking great!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 01:51 AM »
Fantastic work.

Offline CaptainAlex

• Jedi Initiate
  • It's the final countdown.....
    • View Profile
    • Captain Alex & the Shrimp Shack Shooters
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I am totally impressed by this project. One of these days I would love to do the same in my backyard.

Looking forward to seeing the final result!
Living and dying in 3/4 time....

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Here are the latest images.  I finished the balusters last week and started to add the post caps.  They only had half the number I need, so there are a few missing in the images.  Also, my dad came up this weekend and worked on the brick.  You know, for a guy who's been retired for about 8 years and hasn't picked up a brick in that long, he knocked it out of the park this weekend!!!  Huge thanks go out to my dad for the work he put in this weekend.  Happy Fathers Day again!

Enjoy:

On tap for this week is to work on the staircase railing.  I was able to get all of the wood replaced for the actual stairs, but when I went to go put up the railing I realized that I need to add another post at the top of the staircase.  The work will only put me back a few days, but the railing will look a lot better when it's all said and done.  Hopefully I'll have some images of the completed staircase to share next week.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Wow!  The brick work is fantastic!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24 AM »
That looks great.  It seems you both had a very productive weekend!!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Man this deck is coming out Aces! And what a great way to spend father's day.

Yeah it's "work" but it seems you and your dad enjoyed working on it.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Thanks again for the compliments guys.  I'm really enjoying this project.  It's taking longer than I would have liked/expected it to, but that's only because I want to make sure everything is just how I want it.  That way I'm not sitting around thinking of all the things I want to change or improve.

Man this deck is coming out Aces! And what a great way to spend father's day.

Yeah it's "work" but it seems you and your dad enjoyed working on it.

Yeah, it was a really cool weekend.  I was fully planning on just hanging out on Sunday and letting him watch the US Open coverage in HD, but after breakfast he looked at me and said, 'What are you waiting for, we got work to do.  Go make me some mortar!'  When I mentioned that it was Father's Day he replied, 'No, it's just another day and we're burning daylight... Get moving!'  Just another reason why I love my dad; he doesn't have a problem letting you know how he feels ;D.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 12:35 PM »
That is one big, brown deck.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Yeah, it was a really cool weekend.  I was fully planning on just hanging out on Sunday and letting him watch the US Open coverage in HD, but after breakfast he looked at me and said, 'What are you waiting for, we got work to do.  Go make me some mortar!'  When I mentioned that it was Father's Day he replied, 'No, it's just another day and we're burning daylight... Get moving!'  Just another reason why I love my dad; he doesn't have a problem letting you know how he feels ;D.

Awesome. I wish my dad would have been like that.
Consider yourself VERY lucky to have such a good dad. Especially one who's willing to work on the one day dad's are honored specifically.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 01:37 PM »
That brickwork looks fantastic with the deck. Very, very nice.

I am assuming from the way they look that the post caps have a light in them?  I've never seen any like that...very neat.  That will be gorgeous in the evenings.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.