Author Topic: Beasts/Creatures - Do They Need Redos?  (Read 11631 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Beasts/Creatures - Do They Need Redos?
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:19 AM »
While re-arranging shelf set ups this week, I was looking closer at the beasts (the OT ones in particular I guess).  They pretty much have been the same since the POTF2 releases (aside from the SAGA Ultra Wampa), with some changes in paint.  Now there is a rumor of the "Battle Rancor" getting re-done as a ROTJ Rancor later in the year, which would be cool.  Are there any other beasts (Taun Taun, Dewback) that you think need to be re-sculpted, or maybe just newer paint apps?  I know they aren't maybe the most popular segment of the line, but I've always kind of liked the creatures - and wouldn't mind seeing them come back here and there.  I saw the TRU Hoth pack this week, and that's nice, but I just couldn't spend $25 just to get an extra Taun Taun.  Not a bad pack for new collectors and/or kids though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:02 AM by Jeff »

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Beasts/Creatures - Do They Need Redos?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Admittedly, Brian, I don't think much about beast resculpts.  If anything, I'd like a dewback with the old dinosaur legs before it was given the lizard feet from the special editions.  Ditto that on the Wampa being styled like the original rather than the SE version.  I don't see much wrong with the Bantha (it could potentially be a little "fuller" and not so narrow, especially the horns) and I'd like to see the battle rancor unpainted and compared to the POTF2 version to decide whether it's needed in my collection.  I guess the short answer is there would have to be significant improvements like stellar articulation.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:57 AM »
That's a good point Daigo-Bah.  I don't think the sculpts that are out there now are necessarily sub-par, but I guess what caught my eye was looking at the POTF2 Dewback - and, while nice - I thought "I bet they could make or paint this better now".  Nothing specifically wrong with it, but just seeing what is done with the figures these days, I bet there is more potential for the creatures too.  I've always been a big fan of the Taun Taun in particular, and I can't decide if it needs a resculpt or I'd just like to see it at retail again.  I guess the line isn't like the vintage or POTF2 days, where you could get a Taun Taun on its own - or a Taun Taun and Han/Luke two pack :P.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I think the new Rancor we're seeing shows just how great Hasbro can make beasts these days if they want to... so yeah, I'd be up for some new ones.  I think that Star Wars has continued to grow with a younger audience the past several years and the time is ripe for Hasbro to tap back into the beast market with some new sculpts.

I'd like to see a few resculpts, and a few new creatures too.

The Phantom Menace

Eopie - Heck, why not just make a new one with articulated knees?  Give us the Evolutions Qui Gon with it and a new poncho.

Kaadu - Give me a new one with a SA Gungan Warrior, and I'll buy several.

Attack of the Clones

Orray - Or whatever it's called... the alligator things that Geonosians ride.  I want a few of those, like yesterday.. with a Geonosian rider of course.  Or even a cart to pull Anakin in.

Airwha - This is such a cool creature, throw a Kamino rider on it and it would look awesome.

Revenge of the Sith

Mustafar Flea Creature - I'm too tired to look up the name, but those things you briefly see on Mustafar.

Felucia Slug - Not sure of the name of this either, but I want one.  Or two.  With a clone rider.

A New Hope

Dewback - This is just a given... plus we need a Sandtrooper who can actually ride on one.

Ronto - Yeah, I want a new one that's in the $30 or so range that's closer to scale, throw in a Jawa and a Ronto handler.  Very cool.

The Empire Strikes Back

Taun Taun - It's time for a new one... give me three variants - one with Luke, one with Han and one with a Rebel Trooper.

Wampa - I still don't feel like this creature has been done justice yet.  So, how about a new one, but instead of packing it with Luke, how about a Taun Taun carcass.

Return of the Jedi

We're getting TFU Rancor repainted for this, right?  If so, all I really care about is some sort of Sarlacc Pit... hmmm...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17 PM »
I am down with all of those but would add Jabba the Hutt to the ROTJ list. If there is a creature assortment, it would help his chances i assume.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 01:33 PM »
I want a Shaak. :D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:10 PM »
I want to see one of these re-released.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I am down with all of those but would add Jabba the Hutt to the ROTJ list. If there is a creature assortment, it would help his chances i assume.

I can't believe I forgot Jabba...  :-X

I'd actually like to see Gardulla too, and while we're at it, a new TPM Jabba, a Clone Wars Jabba (non animated...) and a new ANH one. 

Mighty Jabba's Bitchin' on the Dais!   :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:40 PM »
I think a re-do on the Eopie, Nexu, Dewback, and Tauntaun might be cool.  At least better articulated versions.  Hasbro was able to articulate the Kybuck to a degree.  But the pessimist in me doesn't hold out hope for this to happen.

The trouble I see with the beast packs is that the only real vehicle for them at this point is the Battle Pack format.  There's currently a Battle Pack out with a Tauntaun, and sure enough it's the old POTF2 sculpt.  I could see a potentially interesting pack with Han Solo, Luke, spirit Obi-Wan and a Tauntaun.  But would it be cost-effective for Hasbro to resculpt a Tauntaun for this?  It seems to go against their current mindset.

What kind of Battle Pack would an Eopie fit in with?  It doesn't seem like a potentially exciting scene.  What would we get?  The Towing the Pod Racer battle pack?  How about the Farting Eopie at the Pod Race battle pack?  Or better yet the Qui-Gon riding to the Queen's ship & talking to Obi-Wan battle pack?  I certainly couldn't see Hasbro revisiting Obi-Wan bringing Luke to the Lars Homestead YET AGAIN in such a small space of time.

The Dewback might have a better shot at making it into a more interesting/sellable scene.  There's the search for the droids along with the Sandtroopers in Mos Eisley.

I think that a new Nexu could be a serious possibility.  It seems small enough that *MAYBE* it can fit on a Basic Figure card.  And I think it might benefit reasonably well from some increased articulation.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:07 AM »
What kind of Battle Pack would an Eopie fit in with?  It doesn't seem like a potentially exciting scene.  What would we get?  The Towing the Pod Racer battle pack?  How about the Farting Eopie at the Pod Race battle pack?  Or better yet the Qui-Gon riding to the Queen's ship & talking to Obi-Wan battle pack?  I certainly couldn't see Hasbro revisiting Obi-Wan bringing Luke to the Lars Homestead YET AGAIN in such a small space of time.

I could see them doing something like this, even though the Eopie wasn't in this scene:

"Qui-Gon in Trouble"
Evolutions Qui-Gon Jinn w/Poncho
Evolutions Darth Maul w/Cloak and Single-Bladed Lightsaber
Eopie
Anakin Skywalker (new?)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Great topic.

I Donno. I've always thought the beasts were done reasonably well from the very start of POTF2.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 02:21 PM »

I could see them doing something like this, even though the Eopie wasn't in this scene:

"Qui-Gon in Trouble"
Eopie
Anakin Skywalker (new?)

Very creative idea there to throw an Eopie back into the mix.  I like it.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I want to see one of these re-released.

That's one I'd really like to see re-released, too. Maybe in a 'Battle of Naboo' UBP with a couple of Gungans, a couple of Kaadus (re-released from the OTC multipack), a couple of droidekas, and one of those big head things. I'd buy at least three if they did something like that. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:32 PM »

"Qui-Gon in Trouble"
Eopie
Anakin Skywalker (new?)

That might be interesting.  Throw in a new version of Maul's Bloodfin speeder and this could be a cool set.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 01:27 AM »
I'd buy a rereleased Eopie, Fambaa, or Boga.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk