Author Topic: Is the line a Success?  (Read 65879 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Is the line a Success?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 05:18 PM »
Agreed, but I mostly think it just hasn't hit much yet.  I can grasp that the line is suffering from the lack of sales due to clogging up early waves, but that shouldn't have any impact on wave 3's production numbers at all.  The relative scarcity means the scalpers are hoarding for ebay but it just hasn't had room to be put out yet.  Hasbro produced it out the ying-yang most likely since they expected/hoped the line would be a success.  I am not worried about getting these so long as I remain patient. 

Wave 4 I'm pretty comfortable with again because BBTS reopened the pre-orders for that case and set, or at least they were available last night.  The last waves will be like the last waves are for most lines dying an unfortunate death, relatively fewer overall. 

I'd really like to see the early warmers pulled too, but can't see big H doing it.  The end is nigh. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Well, in the last 13 years I've learned that Hasbro is incredibly stubborn and will do stuff we both like and dislike. Even if the backlash is extremely negative (Saga Legends, etc.) Hasbro will still go through with their plans, so I figured the IJ line was safe. But when they stated in the Q&A that Marcus Brody was very unlikely to be made, I knew it was over. I figured Hasbro would at least still be able to keep a small section of stock in the toy aisles but this line is pretty much dead now that Hasbro seems to be losing support. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I think I'm going to order a case of TOD and Raiders 09 figures online, hell maybe even TLC since I won't ever see any more of them.

Yeah - their answers last week re: a Marcus Brody figure were VERY telling IMHO.

They don't seem to want to discuss anything beyond the second RotLA wave.

The lame battle packs aren't going to help matters either. If they had at least put some variants or re-paints in there, some of us might have been tempted to make a purchase, but as it stands now, there's no point to these things unless you have still YET to grab all of the figures in the set.

I think I too will look into buying the ToD and '09 RotLA wave online just to make sure I can get them. It's a shame, I really wanted to army build the Thugee soldiers too.  :(
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Yeah, I want about 4 Thuggees, and I wanted a black robed version  too.  I think all of the the guys inside, during the mine chase wore black robes...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Its really too bad we won't get a Marcus figure. I am thinking th eline won't make it after the 2009 ROTLA wave.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 09:56 AM »
I still have not seen anything beyond wave 2 on the pegs. It's not that the pegs are empty but are currently overflowing with Mutt Williams w/ snake.

I talked to a TRU employee recently. He said the Indy stuff was selling really quickly for about a week and half. Now it just sits and sits. However, the star wars stuff still sells really well. 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 05:34 PM »
I talked to a TRU employee recently. He said the Indy stuff was selling really quickly for about a week and half. Now it just sits and sits. However, the star wars stuff still sells really well. 

Yeah, that's how it went around here, too. As this line is starting to look more and more doomed, I'm probably gonna go the 'ordering online' route like many others.

I'm pretty bummed that we aren't getting Marcus. Donovan, too. They both seemed like such obvious choices. I do hope we get one last KotCS wave with Oxley, Marion, and Mac, to go with the duck that's shown up in Wal-Mart's computer system. Also, weren't they saying they had planned another ToD wave centered around Club Obi-Wan? It would be a shame if that one was finished but ends up getting cancelled. :-\

This is so sad, this really is my favorite 3.75" toy line, as short-lived as it's destined to be. :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 06:43 PM »
weren't they saying they had planned another ToD wave centered around Club Obi-Wan?

QUESTION:  Have you considered the opening scene in the Temple of Doom, for a possible 2009 wave? I think a Tux Indy, Lao Che and his sons and Willie in her performance outfit would fit in great with this fantastic line! Just curious if this is on your radar.

ANSWER:  Those are indeed great selections and very close to what we are planning for a 2009 Temple of Doom wave. More details will come later in the year!

If I remember what they said at Toy Fair correctly, they had pretty much mapped out (on paper) at least two waves of figures for each movie.  The goal was to get through those 10-16 "high profile" figures from each of the four movies (about 50-60 figures total) and then see where they were at after that as far as demand goes.

I guess we wait and see how much opportunity there is in 2009 to get to those other 16-26 figures...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07 PM »
The lame battle packs aren't going to help matters either. If they had at least put some variants or re-paints in there, some of us might have been tempted to make a purchase, but as it stands now, there's no point to these things unless you have still YET to grab all of the figures in the set.

The Battle Packs are a HORRIBLE idea for many different reasons. First, what you mentioned, how the Battle packs (except for the Last Crusade Tank Battle one) are unwanted because kids aren't interested and collectors have all the figures already. Second, people like me who haven't bought any KOTCS figures (well, I bought Indy and some Russians) are going to hold off on the basic carded figures and wait for the BP's to come out. Because why pay $35 for 5 figures when you can get the exact same figures for $20? Same with the Wal-Mart packs, why pay $7 for a Mutt when you can get Mutt, Indy, and someone else for $12?

So all in all you'll have a few collectors pick up the Battle Packs but the majority will sit. And nobody is going to buy the single carded figures, so those will continue to sit as well. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2008, 12:32 AM »
Well ia m very upset over the news that we are no longer getting the Ark ghost (confirmed with this weeks Q&A's). I think its another bad sign for the line.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Well ia m very upset over the news that we are no longer getting the Ark ghost (confirmed with this weeks Q&A's). I think its another bad sign for the line.

Damn! Got a link? :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Things don't look good.  Wow.  I thought we'd get at least 2 years out of this, but it looks like the Winter 2009 ROTLA figs might be the last.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2008, 09:58 PM »

Damn! Got a link? :'(

LINKAGE.

Well Of The Souls gets the credit for getting a straight answer on this one.  It's too bad though.  I thought that would've been a cool deluxe figure.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Thanks, Nicklab, thanks! Pretty much all of the answers in that link sucked! You just completely ruined my day, you filthy *******. >:(

;) Just kidding, thanks for the link. Still, those Q&A's were pretty depressing. :'(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2008, 11:41 PM »
So the news gets worse and worse when it comes to this line...

For me the biggest revelation this week is that Dietrich from RotLA won't be coming since he was planned, but not planned for the first wave of 2009.

So even though they said there would be a Ark Ghost, now there won't. They said there would be a Col. Dietrich, but now there won't.

I highly doubt there will be any more $20 vehicles beyond the second version of the Truck. I also think the Mutt w/Motorcycle and Cairo Thugs will be the last two "new" deluxe figures we see as well.

It's really a shame that this line did not sell as well as Hasbro had hoped.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2008, 12:00 AM »
Hasbro: The Indiana Jones line is without question considered a success, given that Indiana Jones has never previously been a successfully merchandised toy line. However, for a line to be ongoing, we have to have an audience (both kids and collectors) who are interested in continuing to collect the line. We know that IJ does not have a collector base similar to some of the bigger brands (like Star Wars), which places more of a burden relatively on kids to shoulder the load. So far, kids' interest has been somewhat 1-dimensional, showing an appreciation for relatively few figures (Indy and Mutt primarily). We expect that there will be a huge up swell in kid interest in IJ figures during the TV and holiday times, but exactly how long afterward, and how deeply they support the lines are still to be decided.

Uh, my impression is that the only collector base you have for this line is the collectors rather than the kids.  Am I wrong about this, or are they seemingly totally out to lunch? 

Again, overpacking Mutt like that was a monstrous mistake on their part.  They need to openly admit that to retailers and promise better assortments with possibly some guarantees of refunds for retailers on crap product.  I can always find other KOTCS figures, but it's a ratio of about 16:1 Mutt to everything else. 

Killing a line because of crappy distribution/case ratios on your part is a lack of kids/collectors interest?  Bah, ridiculous. 

So long as the Club Obi-Wan figs make it somewhere, the line can die.  Lots more I'd like to see, but I guess getting Mutt out in three versions is more important than finishing off the original figures in new versions. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.