Author Topic: Is the line a Success?  (Read 65868 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Is the line a Success?
« Reply #45 on: August 6, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Not sure how many people read the latest Q&A's concerning Dr Jones...I wouldn't hold my breath for anything past the last wave shown :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 6, 2008, 10:42 AM »
I don't think I've seen all of the Q and A's yet, but just looking over the answers at CoolToyReview, it doesn't sound overly optimistic.  No real "wait and see" type answers, its more "nope".  Kind of going off one of those answers there, I wonder how much kids really care about this line.  They talk about balancing it, but I have to say, aside from the week or two around the release of the movie, I don't know that I've ever seen kids looking at the Indy stuff at all.

If the ROTLA wave we saw at Comic Con is the last wave, it will be a little disappointing I guess because we're still missing some key supporting characters (Brody in particular), and there were other places they could have went with things - but I can't say I'm overly surprised.  There wasn't exactly a big Indy presentation at SDCC, it seemed more like an afterthought of the Star Wars one.  As much as I love Indy, it isn't Star Wars from a marketing/product standpoint - and I always said I was just hoping for a Star Wars VOTC-styled Indy figure (although we didn't necessarily get the "perfect" ROTLA Indy) - so the other characters were just gravy.  I don't know if the retail situation is this way everywhere, but around here its pretty bleak.  Does everyone feel like the new '09 wave is indeed the end of the line?  Will it even make it to retail?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2008, 10:47 AM by Brian »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 6, 2008, 11:25 AM »
If that last wave makes it's way to EE.com or somewhere else online, it would be in your best interest to order a case.

Funny how figure selection / distribution can kill a line in less than six months. 

Things would have been different if they had shipped some of the killer figures from Tod or the newest Raiders 'reveal' in place of the stinkers that have been clogging the pegs for the past three months.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #48 on: August 6, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I am think that this line is finished after the ROTLA wave. You can't even find wave 3 let alone the thought of TOD wave that's coming. Outside of the value aspect the new BP's make no sense considering they are all warming shelf space near you. WM are atrocious, they are packed to the brim with everything but wave 3.

I am looking forward to the Target clearance to pick up some custom fodder. It's a shame they shipped too much of it, while I knew it would never be a big hit I think it had enough to keep it going on a small scale. Once that DVD comes out that's the last breath. The last two waves may be HTS exclusives.....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: August 6, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for anything past the last wave shown :-\

The line may die in 2009, but I'm sure it'll be back when Indy V is released in 2011.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #50 on: August 6, 2008, 10:49 PM »
Hmmm...what's really pissing me off is that many stores only have a few (8-12) figures from May 2 on the shelf, but won't get the new waves in!  The line would see more sales if the stuff was on the pegs!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 7, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I've seen that at a few stores (Target in particular) around here too.  Their basic pegs are nowhere near full, and have pretty much had the same stuff on them for awhile now.  WM, on the other hand, doesn't have room for anything new at all - as they seem to be drowning in pretty much each and every figure from the first two waves.  As a side note, has the TLC wave been found anywhere but Wal-Mart yet (aside from online purchases)?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: August 7, 2008, 10:39 AM »
I've seen one Wave3 Rev1 case (with TLC Indy, Young Indy, and Henry Sr) show up at one of my local Target stores and I've seen one Wave3 Rev2 case (with TLC Indy, Young Indy, Grail Knight, Vogel) show up at a different Target.  Not overly abundant (and not the whole wave), but they are showing up slowly...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #53 on: August 7, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Hmmm...what's really pissing me off is that many stores only have a few (8-12) figures from May 2 on the shelf, but won't get the new waves in!  The line would see more sales if the stuff was on the pegs!

Depends where you look, go to any WM and it's stuffed to the brim!

TRU and Target have lighter stocks, that is true. TRU has not seemed to get anything since 5/2.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 8, 2008, 11:17 PM »

Funny how figure selection / distribution can kill a line in less than six months. 

Mutt.  'Nuff said. 

Well, not really.  Who gambles on this sort of thing at the head office?  You had to know that this line was going to predominantly appeal to collectors.  Based on that one would think you'd speculate that the collectors wouldn't be so receptive to a "new Indy" in Mutt in the movie and the toys would tank because of that.  I don't see kids buying into liking Mutt for any particular reason, I never really saw a lot of kids at the Indy flicks anyway.  So overpacking the pegs with a risky character choice?  Duh. 

In a twisted way I was pleased on my recent tour of MN to see that the stores there suck as badly as they do up here.  You guys have the exact same problems and figures sitting as we do here.  Big oops on that one. 

I'm hoping the last wave does make it out and yeah, I'll preorder it as soon as I see it.  I'm a little nervous on the ToD wave from BBTS....I gotta wonder if they oversold that.  I'm less worried about the second wave to be honest.  I think TLC wave will make it out in time because the second wave is just too soon to slow down production that much.  It's sitting somewhere (I hope) but retailers aren't doing much because they're completely clogged with the first two waves. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #55 on: August 8, 2008, 11:48 PM »
I'm going to give this some time.  I bet we see the TLC wave and TOD wave in late fall.  Last year, there were about 2 30AC waves I didn't see when they first hit, but around x-mas I found everything.  We know the stuff is in the pipeline somewhere, it's gotta show up.  I've got 4 of the 6 TLC figs that I bought at Forbidden Planet in NYC, I'm going to wait until after the New Year to look for Heny and the Grail Knight in secndary markets.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 9, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Well, in the last 13 years I've learned that Hasbro is incredibly stubborn and will do stuff we both like and dislike. Even if the backlash is extremely negative (Saga Legends, etc.) Hasbro will still go through with their plans, so I figured the IJ line was safe. But when they stated in the Q&A that Marcus Brody was very unlikely to be made, I knew it was over. I figured Hasbro would at least still be able to keep a small section of stock in the toy aisles but this line is pretty much dead now that Hasbro seems to be losing support. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I think I'm going to order a case of TOD and Raiders 09 figures online, hell maybe even TLC since I won't ever see any more of them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 03:06 PM »
The only thing that can save this line now is one of two things - a clearance of all the intro figures and a reintroduction (new sku assignment) for the upcoming waves - SOMEHOW convincing the retailers that figure selection was the reason for disappointing sales.

OR

Hasbro could 'buy back' all of the figs sitting on the pegs near you to make room for the stellar waves they have planned.

Considering both are unlikely to happen based on what we know in the figure aisle, odds are we won't see Indy on the pegs for Spring 2009.  Clearances excluded.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Ran into 8 cases of Wave 3 at Walmart recently... at a store PACKED with waves 1 and 2.  They put them on a sidepanel and shoved them onto an island display... grabbed a few figures, went back the next day, all was gone except for a few of Indy and Grail Knight... if they hadn't overshipped the first two waves, the line might not have been doomed like it seems to be now.

At least the vehicles and deluxes still seem to be selling... as is Wave 3, if you can find it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:06 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Ran into 8 cases of Wave 3 at Walmart recently... at a store PACKED with waves 1 and 2.  They put them on a sidepanel and shoved them onto an island display... grabbed a few figures, went back the next day, all was gone except for a few of Indy and Grail Knight... if they hadn't overshipped the first two waves, the line might not have been doomed like it seems to be now.

At least the vehicles and deluxes still seem to be selling... as is Wave 3, if you can find it.
I think Wave 3 is a huge Scalper target right now though which is sort of not a good judge of sales