Author Topic: Is the line a Success?  (Read 66019 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Is the line a Success?
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18 PM »
You figure it's that much?  They can't get some of those out of kit-bashed parts?  I'm thinking that's what the EE star wars things were.  Ah well, I can dream.  I still blame Hasbro directly for screwing this one up; between bad paint and bad case assortments, they're getting what they deserve.  Unfortunately that means we don't get all we want.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I would think it would be closer to 15.00 a figure. I woul dstill be down with that as long as we had a real say in what figures were made.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Yep, bad paint, assortments and character selection - they couldn't have managed this much more poorly.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2008, 11:58 PM »
Yep, bad paint,

I really don't think "bad paint" was what killed this line. Having two waves out at once? That probably did it in. It would've been smarter to release the ROTLA wave in, oh, say February, then release the KOTCS wave around the time of the movie, spread things out a bit.

Having two less Mutts would've helped too.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2008, 12:54 AM »
I agree, Hasbro's done this line in themselves with the oversaturation...  Plus an Indy in every friggin' deluxe set didn't help either.  You've got Indy's competing against Indy's on the peg all at the same time.  It's reminiscent of Vader's of a wide variety on the pegs at the same time.  You never see those Vaders moving fast so why can't you just do one, maybe two, and leave it at that?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2008, 01:01 AM »
Yeah the basic Indy's too, they're reshipping the wrong ones. I never see Raiders Idol Indy or KOTCS Jacketed Indy at retail but tons and tons of the jacketless Indy's. Yeah Raiders Indy is in Wave 3 but it's gone as fast as the TLC figs, leaving behind the 2 RPG Indy's. And we already have a million of those on the pegs.

I'd also say they should have devoted smaller shelfspace to Indy, at least at Wal-Mart. My Wal-Marts still have probably 12 pegs of basic figures, 3 pegs of deluxe, then vehicles, FX whips, etc. AND endcaps filled with the exact same items. They should have had maybe 6 basic pegs, keep the deluxe and everything else the same, and maybe a smaller endcap. Keeps things minimal like Target and TRU. Those stores gave Indy the right amount of space but they never restock so screw them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Does anyone know how long Hasbro holds the license for this property, or how much they paid for it?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I really don't think "bad paint" was what killed this line.

Well, the most consistent complaint I've heard when I've seen someone looking at the Indy figures (always an adult, mind you) is, "God, the paint jobs on these suck!"  I have one friend who has been looking for an Indy and Horse deluxe set that has passably normal eyes, and needless to say, almost four months after the line's launch, she's still Indy/Horseless.  Hasbro's initial claims of "we were caught by surprise blah blah new factory blah blah future waves will be better we swear" have been disproven now, as when I've actually seen new figures (and then only the Mutt/Cycle and Cairo Thugs two pack deluxes), the paint jobs are still just as bad as the initial waves. 

While I agree that bad paint alone didn't kill this line, I think that poor quality control (regarding not only paint, but also assembly) has played a large part in its imminent demise.  In the 28 years I've been buying toys prior to this year, I had gotten two or three toys that were defective right out of the package; in the four months the Indy line has been going so far, I've gotten three defective figures (a Cemetary Warrior with two left feet, an Elsa whose ass was literally backwards, and an Irina Spalko with no eyes).  Between this, the glut of wave 1 product at retail, and the "What Me Worry?" attitude of Hasbro toward the line and its retail presence, I think it's better that the line die sooner than later, and maybe someone else can be given the license and actually, you know, do something with it worthwhile.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2008, 04:29 PM »
It's funny at the beginning on this thread we all though this line was such as success. Now everone sees it dieing next year. I don't think its because of bad paint jobs or poor construction but rather it never caught on with kids. The line did really well for the first two-three weeks when collectors grabbed tons of it but since then all I see are old man Indy and Mutt. I've never seen a kid at TRU excited to get an Indiana Jones figure but they still talk about Star Wars. TRU has moved Indy to the isle where they keep such treasures as POTC, Narnia and Wall*E. All of these lines never sold and are just waiting to be clearanced out. To this date, I've never see anything beyond wave 2 at any Target, Walmart or TRU and this is Orange County California. Not exactly a tiny market.

Personally, I've never bought them and am waiting for the closeout to happen so I can use them for Star Wars custom fodder. $8 for an Indy figure is not too exciting when all you need is the head.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:30 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Does anyone know how long Hasbro holds the license for this property, or how much they paid for it?

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that they signed a deal that locked them in for the KotCS toys and toys for a possible fifth Indy movie.

My basis for this guess is based on their answers that referenced a possible Indiana Jones 5 in order for them to deliver on a Marcus Brody figure.

So, for a quick line that promoted a summer blockbuster (which it was). I think the line was a small-time success. It is NOT a long-term success since the line will barely see five waves of figures.

If there is a fifth Indy movie, they will probably do the same thing they did for this movie - one wave for the new movie and another wave dedicated to figures from the previous four movies. I think that this additional wave will be their clearing ground for figures of characters that fans/collectors will have voiced demand for: Belloqq in White Shirt & Panama Hat, Indy in Tuxedo, Donovan, Oxley, Mac, KotCS Marion, etc...

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if we'll see the ToD wave hit retail around here (and elsewhere), let alone that 2009 wave.  It really seems like retail is starting to care less about this line.  Our TRU has moved Indy to the very back corner of the store (like mentioned earlier, where Narnia and Prince Caspian figures often reside), and I don't think any store here (WM, Target, TRU) has gotten new stuff in for quite some time.  WM is still packed to the gills with Wave 1 and 2, and I'm wondering if they sell anything at this point.  You know collectors (unless waiting for clearance) already have these figures, and I'm guessing what few kids were interested in these have moved on to something else by now.  Like said, as a "movie year" line, I think it sold ok - but its just not going to have the staying power as a line overall most likely.  I think its sometimes hard to seperate this from "Star Wars", and the collecting fan bases for these respective lines is obviously quite different.  Heck, even here on a Star Wars forum, look how few of us overall were buying/posting/discussing this line compared to the total number of members.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Heck, even here on a Star Wars forum, look how few of us overall were buying/posting/discussing this line compared to the total number of members.

Yeah - I really expected more Star Wars collectors to get behind this line. I think Hasbro expected more Star Wars fans to get behind the line as well. I think in 1982 Kenner hoped that more kids who were into Star Wars would be into Indiana Jones too.

While those of us here on this sub-board may find common ground between a Star Wars line and an Indiana Jones line, apparently those sentiments aren't very widespread. They weren't in 1982 and they aren't in 2008.

Like everyone is saying, this line would have done MUCH BETTER if they had started much earlier in the year and tried to get as much product into circulation BEFORE the fourth movie came out. Anticipation over the fourth film would have driven more collector interest in the line for a longer sustained period. They could have released waves for RotLA, ToD and TLC all before releasing a KotCS wave in May. Let the four waves ride out the summer and then hit us with a second RotLA wave around the holidays.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2008, 01:41 AM »
Indiana Jones and the Impending Epic Failure

Wow. They're actually shipping Mutt and RPG Indy in the ToD case. I'm astonished. I doubt this is the only assortment for this wave that Hasbro has planned, but I bet it's the only one they'll get around to making since this will kill this line deader than Karen Allen's career.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Yes!

Finally maybe I can find a Mutt figure!
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight