Author Topic: Is the line a Success?  (Read 66279 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Is the line a Success?
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2008, 12:52 AM »
From CTR:

Hasbro: Right now, it's highly unlikely that the line will continue significantly beyond the holidays this year
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2008, 11:46 AM »
OK, but couldn't they squeeze the Toht wave in before then?  It is only the end of September and BBTS shipped out the ToD wave, so 2.5 months of turnover between now and then (duly noting nothing from the first two waves will "turn over", which is of course the kids and collectors fault).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2008, 09:45 AM »
I don't buy their thinking that collector's don't shop online. Mattel is taking a chance with MOTU, why can't they?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Every time a new wave of SW figures hits HTS.com they sell out almost immediately with some waves and most hot characters selling through quickly multiple times.  You can't tell me that kids and mothers are sitting at home hitting F5 just waiting to buy all those action figures they can't find at Wal-Mart.  So who the **** does Hasbro think is buying them?

Collectors are the people that are driving the on-line shopping in the hobby lines like GG, Sideshow and Master Replicas/eFx.  Why would Hasbro think there's a big discrepancy between collectors buying those lines and buying their line?  Retail presence?  No.  EE, BBTS and others make a living out of selling directly to collectors for all types of toys both singly and by the case, including toys that are sold at normal brick and mortar stores like GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel and DC superheroes and others.

Even though the Q&A sessions and convention appearances put Hasbro in front of more collectors, statements like those in the Q&A from Friday just seem to indicate that they don't truly understand the collector market.  Specifically for the Indy line, that terrible refresh case with only three Last Crusade figures and wave 1 & 2 repacks is tangible proof that Hasbro has their head up their ass.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2008, 11:57 AM »
It's not just the Indy line that they struggle with in understanding the component of adult collectors in the market.  It's the Star Wars line too.  But thankfully there's so much interest in Star Wars, that the SW brand has been able to absorb Hasbro's monumental **** ups over the years. 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2008, 01:36 PM »
The thing that makes it more frustrating about Hasbro and understanding collectors is that Derryl DePriest IS an adult collector...it's just that he's mainly a 12" GI Joe guy, or at least that's how he started out.   I mean, the guy wrote a damn collector's book! 

His roots in Joe collecting go way back to USENET days and he still posts there from time to time.  He knows those guys use the internet to buy a lot of stuff and they're older collectors, mid 40's and up in many cases.  You have to be a moron not to know that and yet not think that Star Wars collectors, who are younger and have higher rates if online usage, aren't using the 'net to shop for their toys.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Even though it's pretty obvious now, I thought I'd point this out...  I noticed the Indy pegs at my local Target now start with "NCF" (= Not Carried Forward), which means clearance is coming before the end of the next quarter (Dec). 

In other words, the current Indy line might not even make it to Christmas at this point...  I've even heard from a few sources that the clearances could start as soon as a few weeks after the DVD is released (mid-November) to make room in the aisle for stuff that sells better (TFers, SW, etc).   

RIP 3.75" Indy, we hardly knew ye.  :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2008, 04:36 PM »
I noticed that our local WM now has the Indy figs priced at $5.74 (and they still have the endcap and a full aisle display up).  All the older stuff though, as everyone else is seeing.  Target and TRU don't seem to have gotten any new Indy stuff in for quite some time.

It is kind of surprising how short lived the Indy line is/will be.  I didn't think it would be anything on the level of Star Wars, or even lasting 4 to 5 years without more movies, but I thought it would maybe make it into or through 2009.  Really disappointing we didn't at least get that 2nd Raiders wave.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Hasbro pulled a Mattel MOTU type move by shipping too much of the first waves of figures "main" characters coupled with too many boring robed secondary characters. Wave 3 is nearly impossible to find, All you find are all 5 Indies, Mutts, Cario Swordsman and MonkeyMan with a dash of Belloq sprinkled in.

I am not surprised of the lines fate. Given the fact that the bulk of the line looks like "action packed" robed sandal wearing bible characters from B.C. can anyone be that shocked?

I may try to order a case of wave 4 from EE as that wave seems to be the cream of the crop......I think I will try right now......
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Update: I just ordered a case of Wave 4 from EE in hope of actually getting the TOD figures. The case ratio is appalling:

2x Raiders of the Lost Ark Indiana Jones - WTF?????
1x Mutt Williams (jacket) with sword - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2x Indiana Jones with coiled whip, pistol, RPG, in shirt - WTF?????
1x Indiana Jones with sub-machine gun - WTF?????
1x Indiana Jones
1x Temple Thug
1x Short Round
1x Willie Scott
1x Temple Guard
1x Mola Ram

6 figures that can be found everywhere infest this case, the case ration planner should be fired. This would have worked:

2x Indiana Jones
2x Temple Thug
2x Short Round
2x Willie Scott
2x Temple Guard
2x Mola Ram
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2008, 10:36 AM »
It looks like this round of Indy Q and A's is really, officially, putting the nail in the coffin.  I see the Q and A over at TNI.com has a question asking specifically if the 2nd Raiders wave has been cancelled, and Hasbro confirms that it is.  Its too bad really, but maybe we'll see these figures resurrected if there is an Indy V.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Over at CoolToyReview they confirm that if there is an Indy V we will see the 2nd Raiders Wave released

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2008, 10:53 PM »
Over at CoolToyReview they confirm that if there is an Indy V we will see the 2nd Raiders Wave released

If sitting through another new Indy movie is the price we have to pay to get Toht. . .  well, I'm not sure it's worth it.   :-\
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2008, 10:59 PM »
I sat through KOTCS trying to rationalize "yeah, I guess it's an okay movie".

I can't imagine doing that again just so that we can get more Indy figures.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2008, 11:18 PM »
I'm certainly not keen on seeing another movie.  Unless they dump Shia from it.  Didn't like the character. 

But if they do make another movie, I guess I'll be pleased with the figures coming out.  Hopefully they approach it differently than they did on this round.  They should realize it is a collector's market and that's about it.  Plan accordingly.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.