Author Topic: Is the line a Success?  (Read 66018 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Is the line a Success?
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Screw all you guys.  I liked it, and I hope they make another one.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2008, 11:25 PM »
After this week's Q & A session, can we finally admit that the answer to the question this thread asks is a resounding "no"?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2008, 11:38 PM »

I second this.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2008, 02:29 PM »

I second this.

Yep, I agree. I loved the movie, and I'd be thrilled if they make another one (unless it sucks), ESPECIALLY if it means more figures...and ESPECIALLY if that means Toht and Oxley. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2008, 03:41 PM »
I would like to see the toy line continue.  But as far as the movies? 

I thought that The Last Crusade ended on such a perfect note.  Reconciliation between Indy and his father.  That's a major plot point for the central character in the series, and it resonates with the audience.  Plus the significance of the quest for the Holy Grail is one of the greatest in history.  And then for the film to end with Indy and company riding off into the sunset was fantastic.  Cliche, but a great ending.  I think that one of the few people to have a really good grasp on how a series should end was Sean Connery.  He was reportedly approached for the project but declined.  Knowing when to end a good thing is important.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2008, 11:53 PM »
I really thought they'd get that ROTLA wave out no matter what.  Damn, I was really looking forward to the German mechanic and Toht...
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Maybe it's just the 'beating a dead horse issue' for me, but is no one going to take issue with this response from Hasbro in the last QnA?

Question: With the "death" of the Indiana Jones Line coming at the end of the year, are there things you wished you did differently (besides not  doing it at all maybe)? I know a lot of collectors who were on the fence with the line and had decided not to pursue it after hearing  rumors about it's impending demise over the summer.

Do you think if it was advertised more or if you planned a shorter  run and issued more key characters and vehicles up front it would have  lived on? I realize it was a movie year but maybe if there was less  emphasis on KOTCS and stores were not jammed with the same figures, there would have been better success? (IJC, 10/17/08)

Response:     We are *thrilled* to have been able to bring a very ambitious Indiana Jones line to reality after all these years. For many of us, the IJ series remains one of our favorite film franchises, up there with Star Wars, and it was our passion that was instrumental in bringing the franchise to Hasbro. IJ was labor of love for us, and the passion and commitment that we brought to the line are evidenced in the quality and depth of the line, not just the 3-3/4" line up but across the board targeting both kids and collectors.

As for the lineup we had to work with, the reason for doing the line in the first place was the new movie that brought a new excitement and potential audience to the IJ franchise, so that would always form the core of the line. We reacted as quickly as we could to the news of the movie, so getting out more figures from the original films was not the answer when we had all hands on deck trying to bring new movie figures to light as quickly as possible. In hindsight, we would not have done anything differently than we did.

Regarding the fans who "waited"...well, we can't really build lines around those who wait on the fence and if they weren't enjoying the offering after close to 30 3-3/4" figures, deluxe sets, and vehicles, we're not sure what could get them into the line. To repurpose a phrase from the upcoming election, people have to be "in" and voting, otherwise their votes aren't heard.

Seriously? 

Great you're thrilled to have brought it to the fans.  I'm thrilled you did so too and after the glaring paint errors of the first few figures, it was actually a really nice line. 

So the idea was to get the initial figures out based on the new movie?  Ok, that's logical, given it will drive the "in the aisle" sales.  But doncha think maybe, just maybe ya oughta take a little more care with the paint apps?  Really, the response of a significant proportion of the people were that these looked like ****.  First impression is worth what?  Apparently a lot based on sales. 
Or how about your ratios?  Any thought given to that?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no". 

You wouldn't have done anything differently?  I understand the keep the company line strong BS, but that's what this is.  It was a collector driven line from the start.  The movie was enjoyable, but not particularly targeted to the kiddies regardless of what you think.  You, like the movie itself, gambled on Shia being a success.  Hint: this wasn't transformers.  Your ratios sucked.  Badly. 

Bad paint.
Bad ratios.
Poor understanding of who will buy this line. 
Wouldn't do anything differently?

I get that Hasbro is a huge company with diverse interests in a competetive marketplace.  I also understand that they are a hugely successful company that knows toys and marketing far, far better than I did.  Apparently they are also incapable of telling the truth.  I wonder how many of them worked in government at a previous point in their careers. 

Killed Indiana Jones.
Killed Marvel Legends.

Keep it up boys ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2008, 10:59 AM »
"Blah blah blah, Hasbro ruined this line, blah blah blah". 

"Blah blah blah, case ratios suck, blah blah blah". 

"Blah blah blah, this was a collector line, blah blah blah". 

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I would like to see the toy line continue.  But as far as the movies? 

I thought that The Last Crusade ended on such a perfect note.  Reconciliation between Indy and his father.  That's a major plot point for the central character in the series, and it resonates with the audience.  Plus the significance of the quest for the Holy Grail is one of the greatest in history.  And then for the film to end with Indy and company riding off into the sunset was fantastic.  Cliche, but a great ending.  I think that one of the few people to have a really good grasp on how a series should end was Sean Connery.  He was reportedly approached for the project but declined.  Knowing when to end a good thing is important.

It's a money maker to Spielberg and Lucas - nothing more, nothing less.

The movie was ****.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2008, 12:02 PM »
"Blah blah blah, Hasbro ruined this line, blah blah blah". 

"Blah blah blah, case ratios suck, blah blah blah". 

"Blah blah blah, this was a collector line, blah blah blah". 

You'll kindly note that I added they killed the Marvel Legends stuff too.  That was a new twist.  Sheesh, at least try to follow along.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2008, 12:52 PM »
OMG, they killed Indy! You Bastards!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34 AM »
That gravestone should read 2008-2008...

Anyways, I'm all for another flick.  I enjoyed KOTC immensly.  It's much better than TOD in my opinion, and close to the other two.

For more figures, I want to see more just like a lot of collectors.  I just wish they'd take a more sensible approach if they give them another shot.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2008, 05:45 PM »
What I do not get is they waste a **** load of tooling dollars on the friggin Cloverfield Monster that nobody gives a **** about anymore but not Indy? The tooling is done for Toht (See SDCC CC) and I believe the German mechanic as well. I inspected the head Thugee and it appears the Torso and arms are the same. They can release some of these and make money.

After buying the TOD wave I really appreciate this line much more and now I am sad to see it go. As SDCC 09 exclusives these would blow out quickly. Alas.....
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2008, 01:19 AM »
Whatever happened, it's a shame.  Because the Crusade wave and the TOD wave are really pretty excellent IMO.  I got in late, but now I'm just about caught up, and I wish there was going to be more.  Hopefully there will be another movie and they can bring this back and pick up where they left off.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 5, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Too bad I never saw the Crusade wave and the TOD wave. We never got past the flood of Mutts. Stupid Hasbro.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours