Author Topic: EE "Joker Squad" 6-Pack  (Read 114671 times)

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
Re: Entertainment Earth 6-Pack
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2008, 07:49 PM »
It's funny, since we have mentioned pilots Adam has not responded. Coincidence? ::)

Probably.  Adam's weird like that, sleeping in one the weekends and not checking the forums and all. :)

Just look at it from where I sit.  At this point, I really am in no position to give any additional hints.  Even saying "mmmmmaybe" or "no, try again!" would be more than I can do.  Sorry I can't say more!

Here's hoping you dig it, etc. etc. 
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Here's hoping you dig it, etc. etc. 

I think this a clue...a clue that means we are getting and army of Ice Cream Maker Men, complete with various Scoops...I can dig it

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Sweet.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: June 1, 2008, 12:52 AM »
High F'n time on that one... 

On the pilots thing...  Uh, yeah, I'm not burned out on those yet either.  No Red Leader, no human B-Winger (yet), no accurate ROTJ Y-Winger, no actual Arvel Crynyd (yet), no Black X-WInger from ROTJ who rocked, no "generic" blue emblem w/black visory ANH pilot, and...

Not one average height pilot with above-average articulation.  The "Dutch" body's overused and too tall, and LUke's too small.  The original Wedge is average sized, but way underarticulated.

So yeah, for me there's a LONG way to go on pilots...  A SA, and proper scaled Wedge Antilles anyone?  Yes, I would buy Wedgie for a 4th time.

Lots of room here yet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 1, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Not one average height pilot with above-average articulation.  The "Dutch" body's overused and too tall, and Luke's too small.  The original Wedge is average sized, but way underarticulated.

You hit it right there. That's why I'm mildly disappointed with the Evo sets, you'd figure a new standard body would be in there. At least we're getting the Snowspeeder body in that regard.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 1, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Well, if it's a pilot set and has a new "average"-sized body, I'd be all for it.  I got the astromech sets, but they were the only ones I've bought so far.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 1, 2008, 07:08 PM »
If these are pilot sets and have some Snowspeeder pilots, I might be interested.  Or if they're a few aliens in the mix.  That would be cool.

But, I could see it being the generic human Rogue Squadron instead, with a whole bunch of Dutch/Luke bodies, which would be b-o-r-i-n-g... after all, that's just a group of dudes in the same suit... army builders are just that of course, but if there's nothing new to these other than the heads, I don't think that's exciting or worth my money.

Give me some all new Rebel Fleet Troopers instead.  Or a damn Rebel Trooper Evolution set while we're at it... not more pilots.  We're getting enough Rebel pilots this year as it is... part of the reason I feel this way is because the current Rebel Fleet Trooper and Hoth Rebel suck, and we're already getting two pilot Evolution sets anyways....  generic Rebel Troopers are in far greater need of new sculpts, availability, etc.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2008, 07:09 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: June 1, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Would not getting more Rebel Pilots mean we're getting Rebel soldiers?

I doubt it...  I do think we'll get our Rebel fix, which is insanely overdue at this point, but I just doubt Hasbro would go the Evolutions route on it.  The reason being, the Honor Guard didn't do so bad at retail and I think they would want to milk any new trooper as basic figures...

Headswapped pilots though?  I can see those as multi-packs, be they Evolutions, Entertainment Earth exclusives, or whatever. 

If they're Dutch and LUke bodies though?  Meh...  Disappointing, and likely a pass unless they're pretty spectacular accessory-wise and headsculpt-wise.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 1, 2008, 10:12 PM »
Would not getting more Rebel Pilots mean we're getting Rebel soldiers?

Not unless we see some Rebel soldiers too... i.e. NEW Rebel Fleet Troopers, NEW Hoth Rebels, NEW Mon Calamari Soldiers, etc... even Bespin Guards.

I doubt it...  I do think we'll get our Rebel fix, which is insanely overdue at this point, but I just doubt Hasbro would go the Evolutions route on it.  The reason being, the Honor Guard didn't do so bad at retail and I think they would want to milk any new trooper as basic figures...

Let's hope new ones are in the works.  I'd say that these are about tops on my list now for desired resculpts.  Evolutions would be ideal I'd say, but who knows.  They really could make two sets out of it -

Set One
- Naboo Guard (new, SA, removable helmet, etc.)
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (new, SA, removable helmet, etc.)
- Hoth Rebel (new, SA, removable helmet, etc.)

Set Two
- Senate Guard (new, SA, removable helmet, etc.)
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (head variant from Set One)
- Mon Calamari Trooper (new, SA, removable helmet, etc.)

I'd be fine with regular carded figures too of course.  The Evolutions would just be a great way to army build the stuff.

Headswapped pilots though?  I can see those as multi-packs, be they Evolutions, Entertainment Earth exclusives, or whatever. 

If they're Dutch and LUke bodies though?  Meh...  Disappointing, and likely a pass unless they're pretty spectacular accessory-wise and headsculpt-wise.

See, if they're just headswaps from old molds, I really doubt I'd be interested too (and that's what I'm expecting if these are pilots)... another lame, cheap, lazy way of getting more money out of us.  No offense to EE, because I think it's great they get exclusives, I'd just like to see something more "original" out of Hasbro for such internet offerings.  Their track history isn't too impressive.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: June 2, 2008, 01:04 AM »
I don't think you got what I meant...

What I was saying, was that you're implying that because we're getting Rebel Pilots, that somehow it's causing us not to get Rebel Soldiers.  Nobody knows that information but Hasbro folks, and ultimately I think they really don't have much to do with one another.

If the EE sets are pilots using current pilot bodies with new heads (all hypothetical of course), I'll be as disappointed as the next guy...  The current bodies aren't either good enough IMO (Dutch body), or they're too specific (Vintage Luke's).  The Luke body is good for a guy who is small in stature, but the majority of guys aren't small in stature.  The Luke body is good with a female chest though, as females generally are smaller than men, and so a small man figure can, at least in part, work as a woman figure...

Basically, I'm ok with re-using parts if they make for a quality (poseable/well sculpted) figure.

Now, back to the original point though...  Does a Pilots evolution set (with a 2nd set of new heads) really mean we're not going to get Rebel Troopers?  Of course not.  It's like saying we know we didn't get Bom Vimdin because we got Miyoom Onith or something like that.

I want Rebel Troopers too...  Considering I think everyone's seen my signature for years now when everyone told me, "That figure's good enough", back when people thought the line itself was "good enough", I believe I've pretty much had the demand for new Rebel Troopers covered years ago...  Easily my most wanted 3 figures in the modern line, and they've been my most wanted 3 figures for a bit.

The point remains, I think we'll get new Rebel Troopers someday, and in the meantime I'm enjoying seeing NEW Rebel pilots in the Evolutions sets.  They rock.

Should the Entertainment Earth sets be Rebel Pilots too, I hope they're pretty nice...  They're at least generally priced well enough (for exclusives) that they're not too expensive should they have a flaw here or there.  I know the lack of arm articulation on a couple of the Mandalorians really sucked but it didn't ruin the purchase to me.

Anyhoo, the point is there isn't really an argument against new Rebel Troopers...  Just that, well, these two things really don't have much to do with one another.  Getting one doesn't mean we didn't get the other in it's place, and ultimately I hold that Hasbro would likely save Rebel Troopers for basic release...  Army builders and all, why not?  Can you sell that many Rebel Pilots as basic figures in one year though?  Not likely, but you can pack 'em 3 to a box and sell it for $20.  You can sell new, great Rebel Soldiers for $8 a piece though I bet, so why cut into your profit?
« Last Edit: June 2, 2008, 01:07 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 2, 2008, 09:38 AM »
High F'n time on that one... 

On the pilots thing...  Uh, yeah, I'm not burned out on those yet either.  No Red Leader, no human B-Winger (yet), no accurate ROTJ Y-Winger, no actual Arvel Crynyd (yet), no Black X-WInger from ROTJ who rocked, no "generic" blue emblem w/black visory ANH pilot, and...

Not one average height pilot with above-average articulation.  The "Dutch" body's overused and too tall, and LUke's too small.  The original Wedge is average sized, but way underarticulated.

So yeah, for me there's a LONG way to go on pilots...  A SA, and proper scaled Wedge Antilles anyone?  Yes, I would buy Wedgie for a 4th time.

Lots of room here yet.

Good points Jesse.  I'm in the boat that's all about more Rebel pilots as well.  It would be nice if we got some non-Dutch/non-Luke bodies for them, as they are overused or pretty specific, so hopefully that will be the case in the future (or at least a mix of sizes).  I think we all want to see those all-new Rebel soldiers (RFT, Hoth, Endor), but like it was mentioned, those will likely be in the basic line.  Like Jesse said, the Honor Guards sold pretty well - and I think the "main" soldiers (which have built up some pretty serious demand by this point) - would be even better at retail.  As neat as an Evolutions set would be, they'll probably spread them out.  I also think that Hasbro is going to finally start getting to these in the next year or two, at least I hope so.  We're long overdue.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 2, 2008, 10:11 AM »
I don't think you got what I meant...

What I was saying, was that you're implying that because we're getting Rebel Pilots, that somehow it's causing us not to get Rebel Soldiers.  Nobody knows that information but Hasbro folks, and ultimately I think they really don't have much to do with one another.

No, I don't think you are understanding me on this.  I never said, nor implied that this was pushing troops to the backburner.

Now, back to the original point though...  Does a Pilots evolution set (with a 2nd set of new heads) really mean we're not going to get Rebel Troopers?  Of course not.  It's like saying we know we didn't get Bom Vimdin because we got Miyoom Onith or something like that.

Again, never said that or meant to imply it.

You can sell new, great Rebel Soldiers for $8 a piece though I bet, so why cut into your profit?

Why even do the Evolution sets at all then?  Wouldn't the Fett figures have sold just fine on single cards?  Why did Hasbro ever create the Clone Evolution sets?  Why cut into your profit?  Why, why, why?  :P

Personally, I don't care what format they release more Rebel troopers.  I'd just like to see them make some new sculpts and make them available one way or the other.

I'd be fine with regular carded figures too of course.  The Evolutions would just be a great way to army build the stuff.

^ Again, like I said earlier - I don't care how they really come out.  Carded figures would be fine.  I'd prefer Evolutions, but the format doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2008, 10:33 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: June 2, 2008, 04:05 PM »
I never said, nor implied that this was pushing troops to the backburner.

A quote from above for clairty:
Give me some all new Rebel Fleet Troopers instead.  Or a damn Rebel Trooper Evolution set while we're at it... not more pilots.

My responses have been to that CHEWIE...  I took that to imply we're getting one (pilots) in the place of another (Rebel soldiers), and I just don't see the ties.  Like I said, I think Hasbro would sell the Rebel soldiers individually.  Filler for any given wave...  Rebel Pilots on the other hand are figures that can re-use some parts and work better together in a 3-pack format with some new heads.

Regardless though, putting the two together is what gave the implication that one cancels the other out, but I guess it was just random wishlist insertion instead...  Obviously you can see that's more than a tad confusing though. 

My only point is, we could be getting Rebel Soldiers this year, or early next year for all we know, and that we should just enjoy the obscurity of the Rebel Pilots sets in the meantime because one has nothing to do with the other...  Even if you're not into them, they're not really cutting into getting something else.

Pilots are the tougher sell individually...  Biggs Pilot didn't sell horridly, but he didn't exactly fly (no pun) off shelves either.  I think they're a "fan wank" to use the term, as I think the majority of collectors like getting new pilots, so it's something good Hasbro's trying to do for us by offering them in 2 3-packs of somewhat limited release (at least for me Evolutions tend to come and go quickly).

Rebel soldiers on the other hand, are likely to do significantly better on their own...  I don't think we're NOT getting them because of the pilots sets, and I think we're likely to get them soon (I hope). 

Why even do the Evolution sets at all then?  Wouldn't the Fett figures have sold just fine on single cards?

I think, to Hasbro, Fett's are like Vader...  You put them out, you have the molds, you re-use them again and again at various point.  I don't know that they look at Rebel soldiers the same way...  I wish they did because I'd love Honor Guards with new heads maybe, or a new SA Hoth soldier with slight decoration variants, etc.  I just don't know if Hasbro looks at them the same way as they do Boba and Jango, who they can whore till the cows come home.

Again though, I'm not arguing with you on a Rebel Soldier evolutions set idea...  I'd love it.  As a matter of fact I think I might have been the first person to ever even suggest it during the first run of Evolutions sets in 2005.  It's a cool idea to me, but at this point I think Hasbro maybe disagrees.  I can't recall if they've addressed it in Q&A's or not, for someone to check out.

And I'm also agreeing with you on the re-use of Luke (for males) and Dutch on any and every Rebel Pilot...  Wedge sucks because of the Dutch body, I think Zev's goofy tall because of it.  I hate that too, and if the Entertainment Earth sets wind up (hypothetically) being Dutch bodies with new heads, I'm totally disappointed in that...  Just like you.

I won't say, "boy I wish we'd gotten a new set of Rebel soldiers instead of this crap", though because that's like saying, "boy I wish we'd gotten a scale AT-AT instead", to me.  It doesn't jive with the patterns, is perhaps the point I'm going for here then.  And I'd be disappointed with Saga Endor Rebels and POTJ Fleet Troopers with new heads too.  So I'll just keep wishing for new Rebel soldiers in some format (I'd love an Evolutions set, but I'm not hopeful on that, and I'll be more than content with basic figures), and in the meantime I'll hope that the Entertainment Earth set is something cool, but I'll accept that it's likely to be at least 50% re-used molds from something or other, because that's the pattern.

And if the EE sets are Rebel Pilots, I hope they use the new bodies like Tycho's, or the Evolutions pilots.  That would rock to me, even if the pilots were generic head sculpts, or various aliens throughout.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 2, 2008, 04:16 PM »
It's all good Jesse.  We pretty much just want the same thing - a kickass Star Wars line filled with accuracy, variety, great army builders, etc. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: June 2, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Exactly...  I think we were on the same page more than we weren't there.