Author Topic: TLC "Shield Generator Assault" Battle Pack  (Read 29447 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: TLC "Shield Generator Assault" Battle Pack
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2008, 12:47 AM »
I found it at Target today.  It's a nice set, but at $23.70 or so after tax, all the value of the battle pack is gone.  It's more like finding a 4 figure wave at nearly $6 each.  :-\

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2008, 09:18 AM »
I've seen this at K-Mart as well (been hitting it due to the sale) and this pack sitting at that price.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Are the 3 3/4" battle packs on sale too?  i thought it was just the galactic hero cinema scenes.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2008, 03:40 PM »
BP's aren't on sale.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2008, 04:00 PM »
That's what I thought, I think I was reading into Darth_Anton's post.
I am not the Stig

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2008, 02:54 PM »
I found it at Target today.  It's a nice set, but at $23.70 or so after tax, all the value of the battle pack is gone.  It's more like finding a 4 figure wave at nearly $6 each.  :-\

Yeah - I picked up one of each of the new battlepacks this weekend at WM and I noticed that the price on them jumped by $2. So instead of $19.76, they were $21.76 = $5.44/figure - the battlepacks are precariously teetering on the verge of no longer being a good value.

I thought the reason why we lost one figure per pack was to keep the packs at the $20 price point.

We all know what happens next - hitting the $25 price point on these won't be considered that big of a deal anymore.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2008, 03:07 PM »

Yeah - I picked up one of each of the new battlepacks this weekend at WM and I noticed that the price on them jumped by $2. So instead of $19.76, they were $21.76 = $5.44/figure - the battlepacks are precariously teetering on the verge of no longer being a good value.

I thought the reason why we lost one figure per pack was to keep the packs at the $20 price point.

We all know what happens next - hitting the $25 price point on these won't be considered that big of a deal anymore.

I hear ya. I brought this up before that I would rather pay $25 for five figures than $22 for four. But you know the Hasbro response will be that the stores set the price. When it comes to Star Wars I will happily pay for the cool items, they got me by the balls anything OTC. However, I am more inclined to pass on repaints like the TRU Arc. I will no longer buy everything just because. It's been great passing on the animated CW line for the most part.

Everything in the Toy aisle these days is pretty damn expensive with the average price of action figures at $9. We need to start manufacturing in another country. The "cheap China goods" are no longer cheap. I wonder if the gas prices dropping will start helping pricing again.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2008, 10:48 AM »
I wonder if the gas prices dropping will start helping pricing again.

I read an article recently in TIME magazine (IIRC) that explained how falling gas prices most likely won't impact the higher prices of consumer goods.  While gasoline prices are dictated by the futures market, the prices of goods are determined by the stores and the MSRP's, and manufacturers don't usually see the need to pass the savings back to the consumer.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2008, 11:33 AM »
...and manufacturers don't usually see the need to pass the savings back to the consumer.

Well with the state of the economy, they BETTER start passing on the savings or people will be even less inclined to buy their products.

I bought this set from HTS. They have it for $19.99. (It's out of stock right now) On top of that I used the code MDCREW and got about 20% off my order. It ended up costing me $15.99 before tax/shipping. Although my order was large, so the savings actually wiped out the tax and shipping AND I save an additional $10 off retail!

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2008, 08:52 PM »
...and manufacturers don't usually see the need to pass the savings back to the consumer.

Well with the state of the economy, they BETTER start passing on the savings or people will be even less inclined to buy their products.

I bought this set from HTS. They have it for $19.99. (It's out of stock right now) On top of that I used the code MDCREW and got about 20% off my order. It ended up costing me $15.99 before tax/shipping. Although my order was large, so the savings actually wiped out the tax and shipping AND I save an additional $10 off retail!

-Sal

Okay, I'm no math expert, but how do you figure you saved an additional $10 off retail?  It dropped to $16 using your code versus just below $22 at retail - that's not even $6 in savings and you still had to pay tax.  Did you check shipping price pre and post adding this to your basket?  I believe HTS prices shipping based on your dollar total (or maybe I'm thinking of EE), so I'd bet you still had an upcharge of some kind.  It's still a better price than retail I'm sure.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18 AM »
He bought more than just the BP. The combination of everything earned the $10 discount.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2008, 04:28 PM »
He bought more than just the BP. The combination of everything earned the $10 discount.

Precisely. Not only did I buy this battle pack and the STAP animated BP, I also bought 2 animated figs, and several Galactic Heroes holiday 3-packs.

I actually save $40, but some of that accounted for shipping and tax. So the $10 is what I saved in the end under retail, before tax.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I think these are already starting to warm shelves around here... the STAP set is selling better for sure... still very early of course though.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 1, 2008, 09:07 AM »
It's the opposite in my neck of the woods. The STAP's aren't selling at all. Everyone's buying the Shield Generator and Animated Speederbike packs right off the bat. 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 1, 2008, 01:30 PM »
I think these are already starting to warm shelves around here... the STAP set is selling better for sure... still very early of course though.

The same thing is happening around me.  I've only seen the STAP set once (and I bought it), and the Shield Generator set sits for days until someone finally buys it.  I think that Hasbro dropping a figure for "cost" issues, and then seeing the stores raise the price anyway is rather disconcerting.  I can justify paying 22 bucks for two STAPs and two figures, but 22 bucks for yet another Han Solo, yet another subpar R2-D2, and two repaints with new heads?  Yikes.