Author Topic: TLC "Shield Generator Assault" Battle Pack  (Read 29429 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: TLC "Assault on the Shield Generator" Battle Pack
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I'm overall pretty pleased with the set myself...  If I get it for $20 anyway.  $25, not so much...  Not at all really.

I see Scum's got this in their photoarchive tonight so we got a double-dose of the set today.  Yippee...  I think the Nik Sant is obviously the highlight of it...  I know I'd rather get a Stormtrooper Officer with more articulation on a basic card someday, but that's a decent figure for now I suppose.  Han's head looks to be an improvement over the vintage figure, or my eyes are deceiving me.  And I find R2 "acceptable".  I thought the accessory was innovative, but I would rather see a carded one that's more complex someday too.

Bummer no 2nd Officer, but whatever...  Just gotta suck it up and accept the ****** reality.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2008, 11:09 PM »
Wow, I thought people would be happier with this set.  I just wish they would have added a Death Star Trooper (well Fleet Trooper) to the set or even an ewok or both really.  For some reason the republic commandos bore the hell out of me as far as Star Wars figures go. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48 AM »
I'd rather have all new characters as well, but I understand the point of the set and think it works for who is in it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Pretty nifty - anyone else notice this is the best likeness of Harrison Ford Hasbro has ever done?

And the scout and imperial officer are spiffy as well.

Those 3 figures are worth $20 so I'll pick this one up, with bells on even.

To the extent that I ever wear bells of course.

Han's head looks to be an improvement over the vintage figure, or my eyes are deceiving me. 

Right you are, man.  From 'scum:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:41 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 03:59 PM »
For those that think this is a great set to launch the 4-figure format, I see more than enough R2s and Carkoon Hans warming pegs as it is...

The head on Han does look like an improvement, but this set is not worth $20 to me, or $25 at TRU.  No way.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Any way you slice it, 3 basic figures at retail cost $22 to $25 anymore. 4 figures for $20 is a deal by comparison.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Any way you slice it, 3 basic figures at retail cost $22 to $25 anymore. 4 figures for $20 is a deal by comparison.

Yeah, I'll take this deal.

Han is an improvement. The new Rebel in Scout armor has been wanted for sometime. The Imp officer will make a good addition to the Imperial ranks. So for me it's just the R2 that's a little bit of a stinker. Still, consider the $8 per figure price today, it's like I'm getting R2 for free and then some.

This is a good deal folks, even if most of the figure parts are rehashes. It just different enough to pick up.

Though I hope the Imp officer gets single carded again as I'd want more of that one to army build a little.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 11:53 AM »

It's the desire for the figures though for me.  If this whole set was just $10, I probably would still pass.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Outside of the R2 I am really digging this set mainly for the Han head sculpt & Black uniformed imperial. It actually looks like Harrison Ford, I plan on dumping my VOTC Han in favor of this one. While the one less figure sucks it really is a good deal anyway you cut it with $7-8 figures. I hope we see more OTC Battle packs, I really liked the Hoth ones. I plan on buying two sets of this ROTJ one. I will have one extra Nik and R2 if anyone is interested on my trade list when this comes out.

I hope to see Nik in his regular attire soon.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50 PM »
For those that think this is a great set to launch the 4-figure format, I see more than enough R2s and Carkoon Hans warming pegs as it is...

The head on Han does look like an improvement, but this set is not worth $20 to me, or $25 at TRU.  No way.

Anton beat me to it, but my comment was going to be that they were still $5 figures, which is a heck of a discount in the era of $7.99 figures.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I suspect that the Carkoon Hans are warming due to the simple fact that the younger collectors have no idea where this figure is from and/or have never seen the cut scene footage. As far as R2 warming the pegs, that's probably due to the lack of enthusiasm for the Clone Wars figures in general and that R2 wasn't all that prominent in the CW movie. Also they shipped a **** ton of merch for the CW launch.  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 09:40 PM »

That Han in the middle is a real turd. :P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2008, 01:07 AM »
Anton beat me to it, but my comment was going to be that they were still $5 figures, which is a heck of a discount in the era of $7.99 figures.

Amen, and not to mention that the Imp Officer is semi-new with the headsculpt, the Rebel Scout disguise is also semi-new, and R2's accessories are a novel idea...  Sure Han blows, but hey he has a new headsculpt too so really that's not too bad for $20-ish.  The ****** cut-back to 4 figures is disappointing to me but by no means a deal-breaker on this set. 

There's lots of "new enough" in there for me personally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2008, 01:58 AM »
Glad some people seem excited by this set, it's just not to my liking though.  I guess I really don't care too much for Endor, so that could have something to do with it.

Also, if the current Hoth set with 5 figures in it is collecting dust, I reckon this one will sell even worse with one less figure... I just think that Hasbro is going to need to make these sets more exciting if they're taking a figure out of them.  Especially for what is going to be the first set in the 4-figure format (at least I think this is going to be the first one).

Start off this format with something like a new Geonosis Arena set with Coleman Trebor, Pablo Jill, Shaak Ti and Evolutions Anakin or something with some more desirable figures... or at least I see those as more desirable.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2008, 10:37 AM »
I'm really pleased with the Han head; while a minor change to the entire figure, it sure is a big improvement!  My disappointment with the set is that the R2 tools are a part of the electricity accessory.  I don't like to display "effects" in my dioramas (like blaster firings, lightsaber deflections, and electricity).  But I can find a use for all 4 figures, so I'll buy a set.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke