Author Topic: TLC "Shield Generator Assault" Battle Pack  (Read 29445 times)

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
Re: TLC "Assault on the Shield Generator" Battle Pack
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I'm really pleased with the Han head; while a minor change to the entire figure, it sure is a big improvement!  My disappointment with the set is that the R2 tools are a part of the electricity accessory.  I don't like to display "effects" in my dioramas (like blaster firings, lightsaber deflections, and electricity).  But I can find a use for all 4 figures, so I'll buy a set.

"like blaster firings, lightsaber deflections, and electricity"-if you got any laying around I'd buy.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: TLC "Shield Generator Assault" Battle Pack
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2008, 03:07 PM »
This battle pack (as well as the Clone Wars Bo'Marr Monastery) is up for preorder at HTS (shipping 11/17).  If you use the recent code (MDCREW), its a pretty decent deal.  I went ahead and ordered both and its cheaper than retail would be around here.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2008, 08:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, i placed an order for the set.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: TLC "Assault on the Shield Generator" Battle Pack
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50 PM »
I think the inclusion of R2-D2 is actually pretty important to this set. 

Why?  I'd rather see a new Ewok or a Rebel Commando given the potential for a different scene.

First, from a pure sales perspective?  Han and R2 are going to help sell this set to the casual buyer.  Mom's and Dad's who are buying for their kids are going to more readily recognize Han & R2.

As for R2's importance to this setting as a whole?  Who was trying to break into the Endor bunker?  It was R2 with Han protecting him.  That gives the set a sense of story, instead of just "good guys vs bad guys".

We know we're getting more Ewoks next year.  Plus the three in the comic packs.  As for an Endor Rebel?  Do you really think that Hasbro would package a really good Endor Rebel into a battle pack?  I don't.  I think they would save a new figure like that for the Basic Figure line.  They'd probably make more money that way since army builders would be more inclined to buy multiples of a basic figure than multiples of battle packs with figures that aren't as well articulated.

I couldn't disagree more.  I'm a dad and have plenty of friends with kids who are into Star Wars.  I don't know of any of them that would buy this for their kids based on Han and R2 being recognizable.  If anything, kids will tell the parents which sets they want and most kids probably have one of a gazillion versions of Han or R2 already.  When I was young, troopers were always the coolest figs after you had your 2nd, 3rd, 4th version of the main characters and I'd bet that most kids feel the same way today.

I think Ewoks, more imperials, a rebel diguised as a Biker Scout - all of these not only align with the "scene" in the set, but would be much more appealing to kids and collectors alike.  Heck, I'd rather have a wounded Leia than another R2 - that scene was better and more meaningful than R2 getting fried.  Repainted ewoks or even the same Ewoks from the Target Ultimate Battle Pack would be more appealing and probably even cheaper to include than a "new" R2.

Don't agree with your comment on Army builders either.  If you put four army building figures into a battle pack, I think they would sell like hot cakes.  Why would an army builder prefer to buy single carded figures at $8 versis BP figures at $5?  The problem is that most BPs don't include Army building figures or force you to buy extras of additional figures you don't want.  Not sure what Battle Pack surplus looks like where you're located, but I'm seeing a ton of leftover Hoth Recon Patrol sets (scene/main character driven) and very few Speeder Bike Recon or Hoth Speeder Bike Patrols - both of which are potential army builders and happen to come with two fewer figures for the same price.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Given from what we know of Hasbro, Nicklab's reasoning about sales is spot on and I would agree as well. Hasbro's going for the Mom's and Dad's and most Mom's and Dad's I see in the SW isle are looking for the characters they know. While I would have liked to see something more along the lines of what Jman is suggesting, I know logically why we got what we got.

I cracked this set open as soon as I got it home yesterday. Cool set for being one less figure.

Nik saint, well done. They resculpted the scout torso to fit a new head and matched the old one perfectly. My only gripe, there's no weathering detail at all.

Renz, I'm bias being an Imperial enthusiast. The head sculpt looks great and they corrected the wide stance on the legs.

R2, good gimmick. Works for me.

Han, I have to admit, the new head sculpt is fantastic. Almost makes the inclusion of this version worth it. Almost.  ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2008, 09:44 AM »
I think the inclusion of R2-D2 is actually pretty important to this set. 

Why?  I'd rather see a new Ewok or a Rebel Commando given the potential for a different scene.

First, from a pure sales perspective?  Han and R2 are going to help sell this set to the casual buyer.  Mom's and Dad's who are buying for their kids are going to more readily recognize Han & R2.

As for R2's importance to this setting as a whole?  Who was trying to break into the Endor bunker?  It was R2 with Han protecting him.  That gives the set a sense of story, instead of just "good guys vs bad guys".

We know we're getting more Ewoks next year.  Plus the three in the comic packs.  As for an Endor Rebel?  Do you really think that Hasbro would package a really good Endor Rebel into a battle pack?  I don't.  I think they would save a new figure like that for the Basic Figure line.  They'd probably make more money that way since army builders would be more inclined to buy multiples of a basic figure than multiples of battle packs with figures that aren't as well articulated.

I couldn't disagree more.  I'm a dad and have plenty of friends with kids who are into Star Wars.  I don't know of any of them that would buy this for their kids based on Han and R2 being recognizable.  If anything, kids will tell the parents which sets they want and most kids probably have one of a gazillion versions of Han or R2 already.  When I was young, troopers were always the coolest figs after you had your 2nd, 3rd, 4th version of the main characters and I'd bet that most kids feel the same way today.

Don't agree with your comment on Army builders either.  If you put four army building figures into a battle pack, I think they would sell like hot cakes.  Why would an army builder prefer to buy single carded figures at $8 versis BP figures at $5?  The problem is that most BPs don't include Army building figures or force you to buy extras of additional figures you don't want.  Not sure what Battle Pack surplus looks like where you're located, but I'm seeing a ton of leftover Hoth Recon Patrol sets (scene/main character driven) and very few Speeder Bike Recon or Hoth Speeder Bike Patrols - both of which are potential army builders and happen to come with two fewer figures for the same price.

Did you not read the words CASUAL BUYER when you quoted my post?  ::)

You cite yourself in a response as a Dad with kids who like Star Wars.  But you're a collector.  That rules you out as a CASUAL BUYER.  And given your collector status you're more motivated by what you'd like to get in order to add something new to your collection than a move that would drive sales with a broader audience.

Hasbro split their efforts with this pack.  Nik Sant and Lt. Renz are in there for the collectors.  R2 is something of a bridge figure, since it's something of a new version even though we have numerous versions of R2-D2.  Han is a retread, albeit with a new head.  That one is for the CASUAL BUYER parent who doesn't know Nik Sant or Lt. Renz.  Believe it or not, there are actually people who have never seen the movies, despite their cultural pervasiveness.

As for Battle Packs of pure army builders?  Come on.  Have you been in a Toys R Us store lately?  I have.  And I've seen those late 30AC TRU exclusive battle packs.  And when I see that the Hoth Patrol set with Luke, tauntaun and wampa continues to sell much better than the pure army building set with the Battle Droid Pilots, STAP's and Super Battle Droid....that should tell you something.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2008, 11:12 AM »
For what it's worth, in my neck of the woods the battle packs that are stuffed with army builders do very well.  The ones with core characters tend to sit longer, and in some cases get clearanced out.  And those Hoth Recon sets are EVERYWHERE.  Seems like very few kids are wanting them - while the army builder packs are hard to find now.

At both my TRU, there are more Wampa sets than STAP sets too... I understand that might not be the case everywhere, but in my area that's just how it is.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Yeah, it kind of surprises me how often I see the Hoth Recon pack as well.  I mean, I can see maybe why kids aren't as interested in that one (I really think they lean more towards prequels/Clone Wars for the most part), but that's the one I was looking forward to the most.  To be honest, none of the new "TLC" battle packs are particularly abundant around here though.  Sure, you can find them, but none of our stores are currently overstuffed with any of them.  I think the army builder packs do probably appeal more overall, although I do wonder how often parents/casual buyers really grab these battle packs any more.  I'm sure there are some, but once you hit that $20 pricepoint, they can get a "greatest hit" video game for the various consoles - which seem to be more popular with younger kids all the time.  Its disappointing, but it seems like the window where kids are interested in "toys" is getting smaller all the time.  Heck, our nephews are 6 and 8 years old - and really into Star Wars - but once they got a PS2 for Christmas last year all they really talk about is video games.  I guess I stayed interested in action figures as a kid a lot longer than that, but maybe I was strange.

Anyways, back to the topic, I think if Hasbro would put out battle packs just themed like "Troops of the Empire" or something with a VOTC/Tantive Stormtrooper, VTSC Snowtrooper, VTSC Scout, and TAC Sandtrooper, they would sell like hotcakes.  They could do the same for prequel troops (or Rebel troops, once they get new/better versions done).  I can also say that I'm a sucker for the OT "scene" packs like the Hoth Recon and Shield Generator packs, but I might be in the minority there too.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Anyways, back to the topic, I think if Hasbro would put out battle packs just themed like "Troops of the Empire" or something with a VOTC/Tantive Stormtrooper, VTSC Snowtrooper, VTSC Scout, and TAC Sandtrooper, they would sell like hotcakes.  They could do the same for prequel troops (or Rebel troops, once they get new/better versions done).  I can also say that I'm a sucker for the OT "scene" packs like the Hoth Recon and Shield Generator packs, but I might be in the minority there too.

Brian I agree with you.  I think army builder packs would be great sellers.  I'm a big fan of the BF games, and if they did OT versions of those as a general release I think it would be very well accepted by collectors and more casual fans.
I am not the Stig

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2008, 12:03 PM »
How well did the Tantive IV set sell?

With regards to the Hoth Recon set, I think it needs a snowtrooper or two added in - kids love troopers.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2008, 12:04 PM »
How well did the Tantive IV set sell?

With regards to the Hoth Recon set, I think it needs a snowtrooper or two added in - kids love troopers.

That's one thing, the Tantive IV set sat (and I think may still be sitting) at our local Toys R Us store.  Target and WM have since sold through those older TAC sets, but yeah, the Tantive set wasn't a tough find around here.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28 PM »
Well when I see army builders BP's for G.I. Joes, Crimson Guard/Generic Joe set as examples, I get very jealous.  I'd love to see something along the line like we got w/Ayala set and the Mace set was kinda cool too so it's not like Hasbro isn't willing to do these sets for SW, just wish they'd do it more often.  How about an Obi with a couple 2 Utupa clones, a Cody, & an airborne. C'mon Hasbro.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2008, 02:29 PM »
The Tantive is a good example of an army builder set that might have done even better if it were handled differently.  But from what I could tell, that set sold pretty well in my area, especially considering how back the POTJ Rebel Fleet Troopers suck... and I agree purge, I get jealous when I see those Joe sets stuffed with army builders at TRU.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2008, 04:01 PM »
I actually just found this set at our local Target over my lunch today, so they are making their way in from the coast(s) now the way it seems.  I didn't see the Clone Wars (Bo'Marr Monastery) pack at our store though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2008, 11:12 PM »
I saw it tonight at K-Mart for $27.39...  So obviously I passed on it, but for $20 it's kinda nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77