Author Topic: Your Opinions of George Lucas  (Read 21702 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Your Opinions of George Lucas
« Reply #30 on: January 7, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Sort of related to this topic, so I thought I'd post it here.  I don't know if anyone saw it, but George Lucas was on the Daily Show last night...you can check out the clip HERE.

He specifically talks about "three generations" of Star Wars fans.  The ones that grew up with the OT, the younger generation who "loved" the PT, and the current group of kids that are into the Clone Wars and in some cases haven't even seen the movies.  Granted, he was generalizing, but he mentioned how the OT group didn't like the prequels, the prequel group doesn't like the OT, and also again, the CW group maybe not being familiar with the movies at all.  I know there are likely a lot of kids out there that fit into that group, and we've discussed it here before, but it is hard to believe there are kids who are Star Wars fans that aren't even familiar with Vader being the "big bad"....the whole "I am your father" twist...and other OT goodness.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 7, 2010, 11:20 AM »
My sons are totally into the Clone Wars series now and started off with EP1 being the only movie they watched for a while just because I thought they were a bit too young for the other ones.  Now they've seen all of the movies with the exception of ROTS.  When it comes time for them to pick a movie to watch, they always go for ESB or ROTJ.  They haven't watched TPM or AOTC for a while.

Even though they are young, they understand that Anakin turns to the dark side and becomes Vader and that Luke is his son.  They keep begging me to watch ROTS, but I don't want to deal with the nightmares so I'm holding off on that one for a while.

I think that George, as usual, is a bit out of touch with reality.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 7, 2010, 01:28 PM »
George has been out of touch with reality since his divorce in the '80s.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 7, 2010, 03:10 PM »
George has been out of touch with reality since his divorce in the '80s.

Nah, it was LONG before that. lol

And at least the out of touch with reality gave us SW. So I'm cool with the ol' boy.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2010, 03:10 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 7, 2010, 03:50 PM »
He is completely forgetting the group that likes the OT pre-Special Edition...... you guys are right he is out of touch with reality...

I kid of course, I love Mr. Lucas and all the great things he has done for us as a community (PS, please don't send the thought police or Lucasfilm lawyers after me/us).

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 7, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Sort of related to this topic, so I thought I'd post it here.  I don't know if anyone saw it, but George Lucas was on the Daily Show last night...you can check out the clip HERE.

We're sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed in the United States so if you live outside this country you have to search places like Youtube or do a damn Google search & find it on thedailyshow.com where you will have to click the damn link to see the video in your country.

The Daily Show with John Stewart - George Lucas, January 5, 2010

George Lucas Tells Star Wars Fans "It's Not Real"

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 7, 2010, 04:51 PM »
What I do find funny is the comparison the Lucas telling fans it's not real being akin to Shatner telling ST fans to "Grow Up." (Albeit that was on a SNL sketch, but you just know Shatner meant it.

Really I don't see Lucas's interview as anything but him being real. He has no illusions of what SW really is. While it's an iconic movie franchise and does move people in odd ways, at the end of the day they are movies. It's the fans that have taken it to a whole other level. That's why we're fans. The term fan was born of the word fanatic or fanaticism. Think about that for a minute. Lucas isn't fanatical about SW. He doesn't need to be, he created it. He doesn't need to be the number one fan of the franchise because he can mold and change it as he sees fit, which he's done now on many more than one occasion.

I think sometimes it's some fans who are way over the top and out of touch, not Lucas. Mind you not all fans.

Heck, I'll admit I was over the top a few years ago with my army building. Thankfully I've been floating back down to earth and reality (as well as saving a ton of scratch in the mean time).

Give Lucas a break. He's just a person like anyone else. He just happened to be able to capitalize on his ideas.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 7, 2010, 05:05 PM »
George Lucas took all of our money and he needs to be stopped.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #38 on: January 7, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I think Lucas was out of touch for a wile, but after Pahntom Menace he started to see things differently.  I thought he was very funny, and seemed like a nice guy in the Stewart interview.  In fact, Lucas seems more down to earth every time I see him.  The fact that he even does talk shows shows that he's aware of how other's see him.  He's still one of my biggest heroes.  He did things his way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:49 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Article on CNN.com today about a new documentary coming out called The People vs.George Lucas

They have an interview with the director about his thoughts on Lucas as well as some info about the film.  Might be an interesting thing to watch.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 9, 2010, 08:25 PM »
George... Hmm, he seems like a mixed bag to me - don't get me wrong, he seems like a great guy! He seems friendly and genuine.

On a professional level, however, he doesn't seem to have too much self-confidence. I'm not sure which Star Wars film it was, but didn't he hand over the reigns to a different director because he wasn't sure how fans would handle it if he (George) directed the next movie himself? Also, whenever critics pick at stiff dialogue (I will admit that there are a handful of flat lines in ROTS), George always tends to agree with them and go to say that his writing skills aren't the best. He also prepared that the original 'Star Wars'/ANH was to be a box office failure - and it wasn't! I think the man needs more self-confidence, especially being that he changed the entertainment world and made some of the best movies EVER. Period! He's captivated so many peoples' imaginations, he definitely deserves respect and needs to earn confidence in himself - at least IMHO.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Myself I've always been able to separate the person themselves from the professional identity they may hold.

e.g. Tom Cruise; I do not like him as a person but do own some of his movies that I liked his performance in.

I was a young child in the early 80's and do not subscribe to "George Lucas stole my childhood" line that gets bandied around by so many so-called SW fans.

Seeing TESB in the old style cinema in my city was awesome for me and I believe inspired my passion for the saga and now in 2010 I admit that the prequels have many many flaws but still I can appreciate it as a whole and am glad they were made at all rather than the backstory left untold.

Lucas did break new ground with the OT in flimmaking and inspired many others to do great work also plus the amazing galaxy with it's interesting characters,vehicles,concepts (like the force) he showed us all.

Over time his talent has diminished to make good SW films as is evident in the PT however I am glad for them all as they give a lot to me as a fan and I bear in mind no movie is actually perfect by definition.

So I would thank GL if I met him for the saga and how much it's entertained me.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2010, 10:33 AM by 501ST »
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 6, 2010, 10:05 AM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 6, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Where do I sign up as a charity?