Author Topic: AFI's 10 Top 10  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
AFI's 10 Top 10
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:27 AM »
I don't know if anyone caught the latest AFI special the other night, but I saw some of it and Star Wars placed #2 (behind 2001) in the Sci-Fi category.  They had their rankings of the top 10 movies in 10 categories (Animation, Romantic Comedies, Westerns, Sports, Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Gangster, and Courtroom Dramas).  Another movie on the lists of note, the Fellowship of the Ring placed #2 in the Fantasy category.  You can see the lists HERE, along with video comments that were shown in the special, and trailers, etc.  It was kind of neat re-watching the Star Wars and FOTR trailers again :).

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: AFI's 10 Top 10
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Those are pretty weak picks for the Fantasy category. Only three of them (Oz, FOTR, and the Thief of Baghdad) are what one would normally think of as fantasy. The others are real-world stories with slight fantastical elements thrown in. Miracle on 34th Street? Give me a break. And King Kong is closer to sci-fi than fantasy, since there are no properly fantastic elements, just a big freaking ape and some dinosaurs.

It was fun to watch some of those trailers again though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:34 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19 PM »
King Kong is total fantasy.  If there had been a reason for his hugeness, it would have been science fiction.

But then again, I would put SW in fantasy.  ;)
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I would have definitely ranked North By Northwest above Rear Window.

and Shrek???? Really???
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:09 AM »
Yeah, that Animation list is awful. Shrek was decent, but Shrek 2 was a lot better. Still wouldn't rank either in a top 10 list.

Why is Snow White number 1? It doesn't hold up today, it should still be on the top 10 for historical purposes but not at #1. Cinderella is THE Disney Princess film and saved Disney from going belly up back in the day.

I think most of the Disney cartoons are good **** and would gladly watch them over most of the trash movies we get today but the stories just don't hold up over the years.

The sports list is a bunch of crap too. Where is Rudy? Why the hell is Jerry Maguire on there when it isn't even a sports film (in essence)?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Why is 2001 the number one pick on the sci fi section? 2001 is basically 45 minutes of watching monkies throw a bone around and 45 minutes of an acid trip ending.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours