Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2008  (Read 61526 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2008
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:22 PM »
And I used a suitable smilie with it too. 

I'm open to changes, but it's up to the league to decide, not me. 

For: Rob

Against: Dressel

Anyone else care to put forth an opinion?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2008
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:54 PM »
A couple of significant transactions in the past couple of days.

Jason Taylor (Miami Dolphins - DE) gets traded to the Washington Redskins.  I'm sure he's happy to be playing anywhere other than that cesspool that Miami has become.  I don't know if even Bill Parcells in the front office can save that team.

Jeremy Shockey (NY Giants - TE) gets traded to the New Orleans Saints for a couple of draft picks.  Honestly, I was expecting this a little sooner.  Especially with training camp opening at the end of the week.  Shockey wasn't enough of a team guy and it showed.  He became too much of a distraction and seemed to be second-guessing Eli Manning.  His productivity wasn't spectacular.  And Manning seemed more comfortable with rookie Kevin Boss at the TE position.  This really seems like a case of addition by subtraction by the Giants.

That's a major hit to Shockey's fantasy value in my opinion.  Speaking of which, where do people net out on Tight Ends this year?  Gates has far and away led the pack the past few years, but I'm seeing him ranked #2 or #3 in a lot of mock drafts so far...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 09:57 PM »
And I used a suitable smilie with it too. 

I'm open to changes, but it's up to the league to decide, not me. 

For: Rob

Against: Dressel

Anyone else care to put forth an opinion?

I'm okay with any kind of scoring as long as its set and clear prior to the draft.  Just changes who I would draft and where.  Isn't this a moot discussion though?  I thought the Yahoo league had fixed scoring.  Can we customize it to match what Rob is proposing?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Yup, customizable out the ying-yang and I'd like it decided at least a week before the draft. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Ha,
You won't find this crew discussing a damn thing prior to the fantasy draft.  Mum's the word.   :P

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 12:03 AM »
In that case, here's what I'm okay with, what I have questions about, and what I'm not okay with...

Agree with the following...
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-1)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-1)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (1)
Fumble Recovery (1)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (6)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (3)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (1)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (0)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (0)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-1)

Need clarification these...assume you mean a bonus point at these milestones?
Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 1 point at 300 yards)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 1 point at 100 yards)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point; 1 point at 100 yards)
Return Touchdowns (6) - are we awarding points to just the Defense or individual player as well?  I.e if you have Devon Hester and the Bears Defense, do you get 12 points when he runs one back?

Disagree with these...I don't think you should lose points for missing a field goal.  This is too influenced by weather and strategy in my opionion and you're already losing an opportunity cost of 3 or more points.  That's punishment enough.
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (-1)
Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)

I would say this highly deemphasizes TD - any starting RB can get 60 yards rushing.  What I like about it is that it equalizes the impact of a goal line back versus a workhorse back.  They both contribute to overall success, so this helps equalize their importance. 

I'm not a fan of point per reception leagues.  Adding this in makes scoring even more arbitrary and puts too much emphasis on skill positions.

I would also like to see a few more points awarded to defensive points allowed.  I think this is more fair than what's listed above:

Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (6)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (3)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-2)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 12:04 AM »
I hear Shannon Sharpe is a hell of a tight end.  If you drafted him in the first and then look for Mike Vick in the second, you'd have a hell of an offense!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 12:09 AM »
I hear Shannon Sharpe is a hell of a tight end.  If you drafted him in the first and then look for Mike Vick in the second, you'd have a hell of an offense!

Yeah yeah okay I get it - no more shop talk before the draft.  ;D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39 AM »
Alright, if you insist.

One more freebie though - Jerry Rice is the best receiver, like ever!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Yeah - those ones you're asking for clarification on would be a single bonus point for hitting certain milestones.  It's a small thing, but a fun difference maker on a rare occasion.

As for -1 for missed kicks, I'd be totally okay with doing away with that.  But we've got negative points for INT's and Fumbles, I always considered that the equivalent for kickers.  But I hate it when it happens to me, so if everyone wanted to get rid of it, I'd be alright with that.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 07:40 AM »
As for -1 for missed kicks, I'd be totally okay with doing away with that.  But we've got negative points for INT's and Fumbles, I always considered that the equivalent for kickers.  But I hate it when it happens to me, so if everyone wanted to get rid of it, I'd be alright with that.

I see where you're coming from, but its kind of an extra penalty as well.  We don't penalize RBs when they don't get any yardage on a carry or QB's for incomplete passes.  A missed FG is similar to these events in my opinion.  What say the rest of you?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41 AM »
Alright, if you insist.

One more freebie though - Jerry Rice is the best receiver, like ever!

Ha!  Well I've heard that Tomlinson is pretty good, so I'm looking to pick him up first or second round if I can.   ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19 AM »
You'd be lucky to get Tomlinson with the 2nd pick.   :)

Unless Peterson becomes the flavor of the week at the right time, he'll be gone by then.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28 AM »
In my league and maybe it is too late to do this now...but we always give the #1 pick to the guy who finished last last year sort of like the NFL and NBA etc...not that I'm opposed to the random deal but it gives hope to someone who got crapped on last year...Thoughts?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 11:36 AM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think we can assign one spot and let the other ones be random.  I think we'd have to come up with our own draft order.

If it were a keeper league and we had the same 12 or 14 participants every single year I'd say let's go for it, but since it's not, I'd say we leave it random.