Author Topic: CW Republic Gunships (WM, TRU, & Target?)  (Read 35669 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Wal-Mart Republic Gunship
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Well, reading the Rep. Commando novels right now as I am, it has interesting insight into Clones and their minds/thoughts... 

They're still human, ultimately, and while they're not raised around women for the most part, they still have the same desires it seems.  It makes sense in that regard.  And as the war goes on, they do encounter women of various races/species, and get that Captain Kirk feeling about them...  They also are exposed to female Jedi early on into their experiences as well.  It's written that it's akward for them though too, and that being given "names" is an akward transition for them as well.  But as time and the war drag on, the Clones ultimately become more "normal".

I think that angle ties in well then to their trust factor they develope with the Jedi, and then ultimately that connection seems to help become the undoing of the Jedi as a whole.  The Clones are capable of unique personality traits, etc., and become almost too friendly to the Jedi, and then the Jedi are that much more surprised when the Clones turn on them...  It's the ultimate betrayal, and a subtle thing from ROTS that I really thought was "surprising" and interesting actually, on Lucas' part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Exclusive Republic Gunship.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 09:19 PM »
I think Hasbro might be going a little too far with the large items being sold on day 1 lol. As cool as this ship may end up I already have the other clone wars one and ultimatly have no more room for another.

Looks pretty cool and like JT, I'm not getting one.  Waaaayyy too much coming out at the same time and really don't need yet another version of the exact same thing.  This might work on the $20 stuff like starfighters, but I just don't see a lot of demand for this.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:07 PM »
Maybe I can order the sticker sheet and put it on my ROTS gunship.  I was already thinking about making something up to put on there. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:31 PM »
I'm sure there are people who missed out on previous releases of this ship for one reason or another who might pick it up...but I will not be one of them.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Well, reading the Rep. Commando novels right now as I am, it has interesting insight into Clones and their minds/thoughts... 

They're still human, ultimately, and while they're not raised around women for the most part, they still have the same desires it seems.  It makes sense in that regard.  And as the war goes on, they do encounter women of various races/species, and get that Captain Kirk feeling about them...  They also are exposed to female Jedi early on into their experiences as well.  It's written that it's akward for them though too, and that being given "names" is an akward transition for them as well.  But as time and the war drag on, the Clones ultimately become more "normal".

I think that angle ties in well then to their trust factor they develope with the Jedi, and then ultimately that connection seems to help become the undoing of the Jedi as a whole.  The Clones are capable of unique personality traits, etc., and become almost too friendly to the Jedi, and then the Jedi are that much more surprised when the Clones turn on them...  It's the ultimate betrayal, and a subtle thing from ROTS that I really thought was "surprising" and interesting actually, on Lucas' part.

Thanx for that Jesse I've not read any of the novels, though I've been meaning to pic up the REP Comm books, but it still seems that since they are more docile then the original host or whatever it was that Lama Su said about the clones it just seems that being constantly exposed to warfare and I'm sure they weren't getting "leaves" to go out on the town that women would be the last thing on there mind. 
Although I could be wrong maybe they're watching holovids of lesi twi'lek, who knows what they with those leku when the lights go out.  ;D
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 04:12 PM »
It doesn't really say they get leaves, but I get the implication that many of them, or maybe all of them, do spend time on Coruscant at some point in their lives, and may well be exposed there...  They're also seen though with the general population in EU, doing "police" type work, etc.  They're sort of woven into every aspect of life, which is good if you want them embedded physically, as well as mentally (so the people don't forget who to "thank", ya know. ;) ). 

I'd think they'd get a pretty substantial introduction to other species then...

They seem oddly curious (in EU) about other species...  They're trained to know the best way to kill them incase they encounter hostile ones, but liberating a planet would ultimately expose them to refugees, etc.  It seems like their natural feelings are surpressed, at least that's how I'd describe it, while their ultimately personality can overcome the surpression.

I would say it's easier for the Commanders, the Commandoes, the ARCS (who are really unaltered for the most part), and other "elite" Clones, to harbor the emotions/feelings towards the opposite sex.  I'd think the "dumb grunt" in the field maybe has a harder time with it, but over time (if he survives), I'd think they would also gain those feelings.  In the book I'm reading right now it makes it clear that Clones evolve...  They don't like names, but soon because of the Jedi they're all getting names...  They don't want food besides their supplements, but soon they're developing a taste for certain foods introduced to them by the Jedi...  I have a feeling they're generally able to supress urges for women too, but eventually they may see enough that they can control themselves but still fantasize...  I have a hard time imagining them heading off to the local whorehouse though.  I don't think they get paid anyway. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Exclusive Republic Gunship.
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Looks pretty cool and like JT, I'm not getting one.  Waaaayyy too much coming out at the same time and really don't need yet another version of the exact same thing.  This might work on the $20 stuff like starfighters, but I just don't see a lot of demand for this.

On the contrary, I get a few emails every month from people asking when or if Hasbro is going to rerelease the gunship because they (or their kids, more often) still want one.  Every new release has been a consistent seller, so if the market forces are to be believed, there will be significant, positive demand for this.  And it's a Wal-Mart exclusive, so about 30% of us will never see it in the wild anyway.

...although as #5, yeah, I'm less than enthusiastic about getting yet another one, especially since I already have two of mine lacking in gun pods.  But I do dig the WWII-style illustrations, so I'm all over it.  Between this one and the 2006 Clone Wars one, I almost feel it was a waste to buy the first, ah, three.   Here's hoping they crank out pilots a-plenty to fill this thing.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 09:34 AM »
I couldn't have agreed with Adam without having direct requests. I'm kind of mystified over the fact that every version of the Gunship has sold, sold well and still commands more than a fair price in the after-market.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10 PM »
I couldn't have agreed with Adam without having direct requests. I'm kind of mystified over the fact that every version of the Gunship has sold, sold well and still commands more than a fair price in the after-market.

Plain and simple it's a fun toy! Cool features: missles, opening cockpit, fallout platform, mechanical doors, and even reasonable scale.

For $30-40 there's a lot of toy there for a good value.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 9, 2008, 09:12 PM »
My son loves the Clone wars Gunship.  He saw it in the cartoon and plays out the hunt for Grevious all the time.  The thing has great play value and allows him to create all kinds of different stories of his own.  I'm sure he will be saving birthday money to get the new gunship after he spots it in the new movie.   

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Can anyone (with proof) dispell the rumor that there will also be a TRU and Target exclusive Gunship?

I've seen this talked about, but noone can offer up proof of either they are or are not getting their own exclusive variants of the gunship.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 10:16 AM »
At the end of June, a SKU number popped up in the TRU computer for an exclusive CW Gunship...

#430762 - Clone Wars Gunship (listed for $44.99)

So that's two versions at least...  I can't recall if there was a Target Gunship DPCI or why/how a Target Gunship rumor started though.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 02:43 PM »
One of Scum's rumor lists, I think, listed 3 exclusive gunships...  Like last week or something.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I wonder if the TRU is a re-release of the Old clone wars/Saga gunship.  It was their exclusive before.

Offline smartsoccerbb

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 11:48 PM »
 :'( I really want one!! When the ROTS version came out, I wasn't really into collecting that much. Same with the last Clone Wars one.
Hopefully my allowance and good grade money will get me one! ;)
See you all at Midnight Madness and at Comic Con!