Author Topic: TRU Midnight Madness CONFIRMED!!!  (Read 5155 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
TRU Midnight Madness CONFIRMED!!!
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Mark your calendars if you already haven't for midnight July 26 (Friday going into Saturday) for this!

Okay first before everyone gets too excited, this will NOT be at every location. Check your local stores for details.

As some know, I've been pursuing my local store's participation in this. I finally got confirmation last night that they indeed plan on doing this and that other stores around the country will as well.

I've volunteered to be in Jedi costume and will be asking for local members of the 501st for their help as well. We are not getting anything for this mind you. In fact doing this does NOT guarantee that we will be ale to secure our toy wants early. However I will have my fiancee with me, who will be armed with a list and shopping cart that night to scarf up as much as she can that pertains to my list.

Anyway, no further details were given to me regarding anything special for that night, however the store manager DID elude to something special for that first night. Now this could just mean the "First Day of Issue" stickers on the cards. I did ask him about that and he said he couldn't say anything about that...yet. So, I'm inclined to believe this IS that special something, but perhaps there will be more. Since we know that TRU Germany has bigger plans including some other promotional items, it's likely, but not a given that U.S. stores will follow suit.

Folks, I can't say enough how much we NEED to support TRU. We need to have them around to keep Target and Wal*Mart "honest." Yes, I realize that TRU is a little more expensive, but not much more. And they're a toy store for gosh sakes. This will in all likelyhood be the last big hurrah for we SW collectors (live action TV show notwithstanding). I implore you that if you have a TRU close to you (I'm aware of gas prices and hence the need to shop somewhere else closer to save on gas) and that that TRU location is participating in Midnight madness (MM) that you take your business there.

Target NEVER does a MM (that I know of). WM does by default of their hours, but beyond the A-wing IIRC they have no other exclusive due out that day. TRU will have the Holo Greivous at least and possibly more.

Most respectfully posted,
-Sal
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:22 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Midnight Madness CONFIRMED!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:18 AM »
That'll be interesting see as how some of us will be at comic-con. I wonder how those TRU's will look that night night. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:08 AM »
That might be ugly. Yikes...

Good thing I'm not going there! ;D I'll be sure to check my local TRUs and make my midnight plans. Does the 'dress up and get a free Holo Grievous' offer apply in the U.S. as well or is that just Europe?

Anyways, this is cool stuff. I'm looking forward to it. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04 PM »
That'll be interesting see as how some of us will be at comic-con. I wonder how those TRU's will look that night night. :P

I think people are overestimating the impact of SDCC on sales like this. I can say in my area, the regular group of SW collectors here aren't going to SDCC, so there is NO impact.

This may hurt the Sand Diego/LA area TRUs, but definitely not nationwide.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Hopefully, TRU distribution took comic-con into a account and gives those stores extra loot. Having been a former employee, I'll say "naaaah".  ;D

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:12 AM »
 then you guys are are only hope so buy extras and post them please...
He's no good to me open

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
TRU Midnight Madness - It's official!
« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2008, 09:43 AM »
Found this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/business/media/01adco.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

So guys, how many hours are you going in advance to wait in line?
What are you grabbing first?

(link wasn't working so I put the NYTimes article in for you JOT)
« Last Edit: July 1, 2008, 02:27 PM by Jesse James »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: TRU Midnight Madness - It's official!
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2008, 02:11 PM »
I don't know if I'm going to do MM here.  TRU's are a pain in the rear to get to for me, and while hanging with my buds would be cool, there isn't a lot at TRU I'm sure I want.  I know I want the A-Wing at WM...  That's the only exclusive so far I'm positive on. 

I'm not positive who all has what so I should look into that beforehand, but ultimately if they don't have an exclusive (or some kind of deal) to entice me, it's a pretty easy pass.  A holographic Grievous is dull, especially an animated one, so yeah...  TRU's not high on my list.  Monroeville's probably the busiest TRU in our area and it's one I can get to pretty easily (as easily as any of them), so maybe if something's on in that area I'll go, but only if a lot of the local gang is showing up I suppose.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2008, 02:20 PM »
I might go just for the experience as I've never been to one of these things before and this might be my last chance, but I've got sheets of Target coupons that need to be used up.  Plus this is most likely my last hoo-rah with a Star Wars line before calling it quits so I want to make sure every thing is minty fresh and obviously that won't happen with hundreds of people hoarding the store.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2008, 04:23 PM »
I am just wondering if Canadian TRU will be following suit with a MM. If so I might try and hit it up. But then again I have a card that gets me 15% of at Zellers so I might just hit Zellers first thing in the morning to save me a bundle.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2008, 08:32 PM »
TRU.com updated with a list of stores taking part in the Midnight Madness festivities.

« Last Edit: July 1, 2008, 08:32 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I really wish this wasnt during SDCC. They should have done it the week before or after  :-\
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2008, 09:24 PM »
I really wish this wasnt during SDCC. They should have done it the week before or after  :-\

I'd love to find out the thinking behind the date.  "You know that huge convention that a lot of the really hardcore and/or local collectors are going to be at and will be spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get to and enjoy?  Let's launch a brand new line with exclusive that weekend, so there's no possible chance they can get to them!  What a splendid idea!"  They kinda did the same thing with Celebration I in 1999-- I believe the night I came back from Denver was the night of Midnight Madness.

As far as Midnight Madness goes... I gotta say I'm against brick & mortar street dates in general.  There's no reason to have them-- a midnight one in particular-- other than to have some sort of power trip over stores and/or consumers.  "Wake up, fanboy!  You want these figures?  Then DANCE!"  We've been collecting for decades.  This sort of thing is tired and played out, and I hope this one is the last of them.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2008, 09:41 PM »
I am just wondering if Canadian TRU will be following suit with a MM. If so I might try and hit it up. But then again I have a card that gets me 15% of at Zellers so I might just hit Zellers first thing in the morning to save me a bundle.

I don't really recall Canadian TRUs ever participating, but I might just be forgetting.  And hopefully for your sake it's different in Eastern Canada, but Zellers carrying toys in July?  Not something I'd gamble on.  They're so hit and miss I wouldn't really want to be relying upon them.  At the risk of being overly negative, I'll actually be pleased if the street date is even actually met in Canada.  On the optimistic side, I'd bet we'll see more early leaks of stuff than the US will. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2008, 10:37 PM »

I don't really recall Canadian TRUs ever participating, but I might just be forgetting.  And hopefully for your sake it's different in Eastern Canada, but Zellers carrying toys in July?  Not something I'd gamble on.  They're so hit and miss I wouldn't really want to be relying upon them.  At the risk of being overly negative, I'll actually be pleased if the street date is even actually met in Canada.  On the optimistic side, I'd bet we'll see more early leaks of stuff than the US will. 

Well I have no doubt that the street date will be met. I mean the TRUs in my area have the stuff in stock but will not put it out till the date (I have called in to check) and for ROTS my buddy said that on the day of the release everything was already out on the shelfs for the morning, but I dont think there was a MM. I know what you mean about Zellers though, heck according to them the Indy release date was 2 days after the states. But considering my card only lasts till August 1st I am still hoping on something coming out to Zellers. Just to make sure its not a lost cause I will probably call the day before to confirm.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D: