Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 214823 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #600 on: February 5, 2010, 09:41 PM »
That Ewok set was popular for sure - although I hated it because of the funky colors.  But I do remember, when these first hit, looking at them, and grabbing a couple of the Amanin set.  About a minute later, some guy walked into the aisle and grabbed every Ewok set - I'd say about 15... and that store never saw those on the pegs again.  Just a ton of Amanin that sold about half way through, and there's probably still about a dozen of the pilots... and this was over a year ago.  That's pretty much the situation at all the local Wal-Marts on these.

There was a pretty vocal minority that wanted more Rebel pilots, unfortunately it's all on Hasbro for overdoing it.  The comic packs were perfect for the Rogue Squadron characters and 1 Battle Pack per year with more would have been fine, maybe 1 here or there in the basic line, but mix it up with A-Wing and B-Wing characters, not all X-Wing pilots.  But the Evo sets really ruined a good thing. 

Agreed 110% with that.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 6, 2010, 04:23 AM »
I haven't been to my local Target since the last Ice Age, but I'm making a pretty good bet that the new red phase CPs are in healthy rotation there.

But, like I will forever maintain, Hasbro killed this line with their just out-right bad choices. Sets like Xizor/Leia, Imperial Knights, Thrawn/Talon Karrde needed anchor figures. For example, Hasbro stated that Leia never gets an A-rating. Surely the Leia included w/ Xizor got a C-rating. So why would a C-rated figure be paired w/ a character that 1. hasn't seen re-release since the 1990s, 2. clearly is not 100% interesting character design, and 3. is surely not to have been heard of by some fans? And I don't see any anchor figures in this set. Poor decision, Hasbro.

However, Hasbro outdid themselves simply w/ the original concept of the CP line: 2 figures, a comic book, and a somewhat (meh) low price. 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 6, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I completely agree with you Jabba - the only set that you mention that I don't necessarily agree with though is the Imperial Knights.

In my neck of the woods, the sets based on the Legacy comic books have all done very well and sold through.

Cade/Talon, Imperial Knights & Krayt/Dare were all mild challenge to track down at retail.

I think that if they had put out Maleval & Jes Gistang as a comic 2-pack instead of part of the Joker Squad set, that set would have sold well too.

Out of all of the packs that are now in limbo, the Darth Nihl/Delilah Blue set is one of them that I think would have also done well.

Sith sells...   ;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 6, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Out of all of the packs that are now in limbo, the Darth Nihl/Delilah Blue set is one of them that I think would have also done well.

Sith sells...   ;D

I too agree that the Nihl/Deliah set would have done well. This set is a perfect example of what should have been in each CP: 1 A+/anchor figure (Nihl), and 1 OK figure (Blue). Had Hasbro did a set comprised of Deliah Blue and Jariah Syn, that set wouldn't have probably sold well. Instead, Hasbro packed Deliah w/ an interesting character, which would have led to an outstanding sell.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #604 on: February 8, 2010, 07:40 PM »
An image of the upcoming Utapau Clone Trooper Repaint from the ROutine Valor comic set surfaced.

It's a nice repaint, and of COURSE you want more Clones right? :)

Clicky to check him out!

He's obviously nothing real special but the paintjob is new/different.  He will come with a Lt. Clone for Commander Cody's legion as well, who's a little more interesting, but not a ton.

Enjoy!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 8, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Man, I wonder how many different versions of the ROTS clone exist?  This one's nice, but I think I'm on clone overload just trying to think about all the different versions.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #606 on: February 8, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Just off the top of my head...

-501st
-clean
-original w/squiggles
-212th/utapau
-shocktrooper
-grey coruscant markings/41st
-blue fleet security
-green engineer
-Mandalore one
-

I forget if there's more or not, but I'd guess someone's getting forgotten.  Was the Shadow Trooper and that purpley one that were exclusives based on the ROTS mold or the SA AOTC Trooper mold?  I'm thinking the latter but not sure.

It's still a lot o clones.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #607 on: February 8, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Yep, those fugly purple 'Covert' clones and the Jedi-Con 2-pack Shadow Clone were based on the #41 sculpt

To JJ's list I'd add:
- Shadow Clone (Jedi-Con 2-pack version)
- Covert Ops
- RotS Gree
- Mace Windu BP Clone
- Commander Appo
- Green/Camo Kashyyyk (Order 66?)
- "Tiger Shark" ARC 170 BP Clone

And that's just off the top of my head... like JJ, I'm sure someone will come along and add a few more I've forgotten.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #608 on: February 9, 2010, 01:18 AM »
How in the hell is that mold still around?  They're beating it like it stole from them.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #609 on: February 9, 2010, 11:59 AM »
How in the hell is that mold still around?  They're beating it like it stole from them.

I am 99% sure they made duplicate tools of this mold. It's a common practice for heavy volume tools. However despite that you would think all of the the molds are starting to wear out. They definitely made there money back 20 times over on them.

A new mega articulated trooper may revive the Trooper building or at least give it a big bump.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 9, 2010, 07:15 PM »
How in the hell is that mold still around?  They're beating it like it stole from them.

Offering these Clones in the comic packs was a calculated business decision.  The low costs of these Clones allowed Hasbro to offer this last wave of comic 2-packs, including the new figure tooling of characters like Exar Kun, Tholme, Ulic Quel Droma and T'ra Saa.  Derryl DePriest commented on this specifically at Comic Con.  Hasbro tried to offer so much in this line in new sculpts and articulation that the cost per figure rose substantially.  Hence the inclusion of figures like this Utapau Clone to help drive the average cost per figure down for his last wave of comic 2-packs.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2010, 07:16 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #611 on: February 9, 2010, 07:20 PM »

I am 99% sure they made duplicate tools of this mold. It's a common practice for heavy volume tools. However despite that you would think all of the the molds are starting to wear out. They definitely made there money back 20 times over on them.

A new mega articulated trooper may revive the Trooper building or at least give it a big bump.

Yeah that's what I was figuring JACK.  I know certain figures at least get multiple molds that can, at sometimes anyway, be identified on the figure...  kind of like the minting id's on coins.  I feel sure when that #41 mold was made, there were duplicates.  That was the height of Clone freaking out.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2010, 01:45 AM »
I'm guessing if they update that mold, we'll see them add ball jointed hips or something... not saying they won't go completely new on us at some point, but I'm rather content with the ROTS mold still.  I think it's great and am glad Hasbro's used it as much as they have.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 14, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Could you guys help me wrap my head around what comic packs are still happening and when?  I know lots were delayed, some canceled right?  Some exclusive... the last ones I found were the Luke / Lumaya packs, and I have no idea if I've missed anything else or what I should be keeping an eye out.

Here are the ones I know of from various Hasbro slide-shows:

Tales of the Jedi #6:  Exar Kun & Ulic Quel Droma
Republic #65:  Jedi Masters Tholme & T'ra Saa
Classic Star Wars Early Adventure #1:  Stormtrooper with Blackhole Hologram
Republic #83:  Bogey Squad Scout Trooper and Clone Trooper
Routine Valor:  Commander Cody's Lieutenant and Clone Trooper
Legacy #7:  Delia Blue and Darth Nihl
Kotor #6:  Jarael and Rohlan Dyre

WalMart:
X-Wing Rogue Squadron #1:  Dllr Nep and Plourr Llo
Star Wars Tales #4:  IG97 and Rom Mohc
X-Wing Rogue Leader:  Storm Commando and General Weir

Comic Con:
Darth Maul and Owen Lars

Celebration V:
Cami and Fixer

So yeah, that's what I know of (although I know who almost none of those characters are...).

The C-V and Comic Con ones are obvious, but are the rest of those all still slated to come out, and have I missed any of them if they are?  Are there any comic Packs coming that I haven't listed?

I know this information is probably in this thread but I was hoping that instead of reading and piecing everything together, someone who has a good idea already could help out with a recap.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:42 PM by Rob »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I know this information is probably in this thread but I was hoping that instead of reading and piecing everything together, someone who has a good idea already could help out with a recap.

Lazy...  ::)

http://hanshideout.blogspot.com/2010/02/hasbro-star-wars-q-session-22.html

** Thanks for the interest and we glad to provide an update. Unfortunately, sales on the Comic Packs really fell last Fall, so the situation has become more dire. What *will* be released: the final Fall wave, shown last year at Comic Con, including the Republic Tholme/T'ra Saa pack, the Tales of the Jedi pack with Exar Kun/Ulic Quel Dromis, the Republic Kashyyyk "Bogey Squad" Clone pack, the Star Wars Early Adventures Black Hole Trooper/droid/Black Hole figure pack, and the Routine Valor Commander Cody Battalion pack. Look for this wave approximately March. The Spring '10 wave has been cancelled, which included the Legacy Delia Blue/Darth Nihl and Knights of the Old Republic Jarael/Rohlan Dyre. We will look to bring these two out in some format in the next couple of years.

The Wal-Mart Fall '10 Comic Pack exclusive assortment has shrunk to two: Star Wars Tales IG-97 and Rohm Moc, and Star Wars X-Wing Rogue Leader and General Weir. These two will be at retail sometime in February. The X-Wing Rogue Squadron pack with Plourr Illo and Dllr Nep has been pulled from the Wal-Mart packs and will be made available through another retailer or as an additional Convention item. It was pulled not to be an exclusive at the shows, but because of the subject matter. There will also be an exclusive Comic Pack debuting at both Comic Con and Celebration V this year. We have not announced them yet, but these will be revealed at Toy Fair.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:42 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender