Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 214073 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #645 on: March 9, 2010, 03:42 PM »
"As an added bonus, Plourr Ilo has a working holster for her blaster!"

Greatest selling point ever! I love the writeup on this! This was a new feature 11 years ago in 1999 with Cantina Han, to tout it now seems to be a stretch since it's almost a standard for figures. The copywriter who typed this up is AWESOME for writing that!

Thanks!  This was one of mine.

Not sure if you know I am a Toy Designer and have worked in the industry for 10 years. There is the occasional item comes up that you have to stretch the call out "features" on to give the perception of added value. They always make me laugh so I really did get a kick out of it! Nice touch!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #646 on: March 9, 2010, 04:55 PM »
For those wanting to get your order in on this, here's a link:

Rogue Squadron "Warrior Princess" Comic Pack

A decent price and a set I really want to nab.  I may even order two, actually, as I was wanting an extra for fodder.  It's a nice set, so I'm glad it was saved from the trash bin.  I'm guessing Hasbro wasn't too hard to twist their arms on it since they'd already been put into production a while back.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 11, 2010, 12:47 AM »
I honestly would not pay $5 for that set because I am completely burnt out on X-Wing pilots.  I feel Hasbro has beaten a dead horse with this theme the past two years... so much other variety of Rebels that they should be exploring, like a definitive Rebel Fleet Trooper or Endor Rebel... but instead, they have continued to pump out more and more X-Wing guys.  And when they don't sell, they make it sound like the collectors aren't supporting the hobby... but it comes down to poor decisions by Hasbro in an over-saturation of the market.  They should know better.

However, since this is something that was planned for release, I still think it's cool to see that they found a way to get it to the market.  Not going to even consider getting it, but I'm sure there's plenty of collectors breathing a sigh of relief that EE picked this up.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #648 on: March 11, 2010, 12:51 AM »
Actually Hasbro's pretty up on Rebel pilots and I guess they sell well, plus they're relatively inexpensive, and things like that fuel the line some.  I know at least one guy at Hasbro's that's REALLY into them Pilots so I'm not expecting to see them stop giving us new ones, especially with all these definitive Rebel Pilot molds now in existance...  Basically all of them unless you get into the EU.  That's boding well for more of the movie and EU guys to get releases at some point.  I'd like to see Hoth Pilots get a little more attention right now though, from a pilot perspective.  Da(c)k's a good start, but Zev could use an upgrade I think, Wedge obviously... 

If these less expensive figures for them get us other stuff, I'm all for that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Yeah, I agree Chewie.  I was just not really up for more army builder type characters in the comic packs.  I know why they do it.  There is obviously interest for those figures.  I guess it was a good slot for them.  I would have prefered actual characters we don't usually get like say a Guri, Big Gizz (I think that was his name?), Xizor, Ulic, Exar, Nomi Sunrider, The Rabbit Guy (can't remember that name) instead of more pilots/clonetroopers.  We get a steady diet of those in other aspects of the line.  Not that the pilots are not characters but it was obvious they were trying to tap into the army building mentality there.  I felt like we got enough with those from the Legacy 3 packs.   I hated it that they released Horn in a pilot outfit in the Droid Factory Wal-Mart.  It was just overkill in my opinion this year with all the pilots.  I know I will get ripped for saying that but that's just my feeling about it.  Again I know why they release pilots...it just got a little out of hand there. 

Then again I go banannas for Luke Snowspeeder Pilot and would for Wedge, Dack, Zev, Janson, if they released those.  I was just hoping for the comic packs to get those more unique-looking characters.   I have to admit to I was pretty tired of Luke getting a nod in seemingly every wave of comic packs there for awhile.  Again I get why of course.  It's Luke. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 11, 2010, 10:51 AM »
For me, the more pilots the better. Not crazy about all the EU pilots, but I'll take 'em. I'll only be getting one of this set, though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #651 on: March 11, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I love the Rogue Squadron books/comics, so I'm happy to get the Plo/Dllr figures.  I know some of you are burned out, but I'd love to see more Rogues - Ooryl Qrygg, Nawara Ven, Gavin Darklighter, etc!

Different strokes for different folks as they say... :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 11, 2010, 01:07 PM »
I guess I should clarify more - I'm not against Rebel pilots being released, just so many in such a short time span.  I think they need to space it out better... and there's a trend in my area (and I've spot checked a bit when traveling for work too and see the same situation), if you go to TRU, there's still a lot of older Legacy Evolution sets of Rebel Pilots collecting dust, and Wal-Mart still has a lot of the recent Legacy Evolution pilots that aren't moving even at $13.00... and they still have a ton of the pilot comic packs as well. 

I feel that Hasbro overestimated demand for the exact same sculpt being released over and over with different head swaps over a 2-year period.  These have hit a wall I think for now because so many came out in such a short stretch of time.  If they want to explore more head swaps in the future with army builders, I hope it's with troops rather than pilots.  I understand they look to source material for individual characters more for this sort of thing so there might not a great pool of Rebel troops to pull from... but still... there are so many X-Wing pilots available that I can see why so many have been sitting at retail and perhaps giving Hasbro more fuel for their argument that "Legacy doesn't sell."  I still contend that is their fault more than collectors, but that's for a different thread I guess.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Totally agreed CHEWIE.   It's sort of ridiculous, without the ships and a strong mandate from a wider audience it's just a bunch of the same orange dude again and again.  I mean, I could see putting 1 pilot into every year's lineup just because it's probably good to keep it in circulation if/when a vehicle gets made, but yeesh.  How many figures have we had with the female pilot body since 2008?  5?  I'm stoked that I now actually own a Shira Brie figure but man.

It's a real shame they didn't include an extra bonus head/helmet as an accessory with these figures in efforts to boost sales.  That way you could sell the same SKU 2 or more times to collectors to "make" both figures while including a handy, delicious, and colorful choke hazard for kids.

...on the "Legacy doesn't sell" thing I'd probably point to Hasbro's decision to remove entry-level figures from the assortment.  Where are the Vaders?  Or a basic movie Darth Maul?  The TLC Vader repacks did spectacularly well, as far as I've seen, cranking out more of them would probably be good for the overall TLC SKU.  (And if they subsidize the development of new figures, hey, fantastic.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #654 on: March 11, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I like pilots myself, despite not knowing a much about them in terms of their source material. I look at it where the Imperials have so many trooper builder-type figures that can essentially double as pilots in a pinch, the rebels don't really have that kind of nameless, faceless character base to pull from.

Maybe instead having repeated Comic Pack and Evolution sets devoted to Rebel pilots, larger format Rebellion/Rogue Squadron/Xwing-themed Battle Pack releases with 6-8 different Rebels pilots could have been issued instead. Put them up for $40-50 each as an exclusive through EE, and I'd have snapped them up without thinking twice.  ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #655 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Anyone who has seen my collection room knows I like pilots, but even I say they've made way too many.  Granted, I'm glad I have a few diverse pilots in aliens, and some for different vehicles (would not mind a few more Y-win pilots Hasbro!)...but they cranked out way too many X-wing pilots too soon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #656 on: March 11, 2010, 02:27 PM »
BBTS canceled my preorder for the last wave of comic packs.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #657 on: March 11, 2010, 03:14 PM »
BBTS canceled my preorder for the last wave of comic packs.

Me too. I just ordered from EE but I have a feeling it may be in vain. Very disappointing.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 11, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Me too. I just ordered from EE but I have a feeling it may be in vain. Very disappointing.

Don't worry yet.  Note, we added a limit to hopefully get as many people these packs as possible.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #659 on: March 11, 2010, 04:58 PM »

Don't worry yet.  Note, we added a limit to hopefully get as many people these packs as possible.

Well thats good to know, i ordered from EE as soon as my BBTS order was canceled. I hope to get them.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"