Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 215234 times)

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I'm looking foward for tha Rogue pilots  IBTISAM NRIN VAKIL, now seen at Ebay, but is not yet out according JI but in 3/1/09

I just bought this set less than a couple of hours ago.  And I've seen a number of other reports confirming that these sets are out there.

Thanks  Nick I will give a check, just bought a GC to play the two Rogue Squadron games to go back to the fever  plus Jango game as well  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:26 PM by Theta 288 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #256 on: March 5, 2009, 03:59 AM »
So I picked up the Wal-Mart comic packs tonight...  The good, the bad, and the ugly...

The good...

The X-Wing pilots set is outstanding in my opinion.  Short of them having gloves on, I find both sets incredibly impressive.  The Quarren X-Winger is great because it is an average height X-Wing pilot, and an insanely articulated average height X-Wing pilot...  Why don't we have humans like this then? 

The Mon Calamari Female is an interesting take on an old species...  Who knows what they look like, right?  The slight build with the exagerrated hands/head are interesting looks to the Mon Cal physiology that usually has a normal or "thick" build body. 

I think both pilots make for great diversity in the Rebel Briefing room too...  I'm happily going to add a second set.

The Lt. "Tank" Sunber & Amanin set is likewise great.  Tank makes officially the best Imperial Officer ever put out in the line.  Why?  Because he's as near to super articulated and accurately sculpted as any officer we've ever gotten, plus he's sporting a removable officer's Kepi.  Very nifty...  A clean deco figure on a basic card would equal me giving up much of my hard-earned cash.  He'd be a fantastic army builder Hasbro...  You listening?

The Amanin is cool...  Not quite as cool as Sunber, but he's a 100% new sculpt with the added height/girth that the original VINTAGE Amanaman figure had.  While Amanaman is actually average height to a human male in ROTJ (and the vintage figure was just not accurate and oversized), this new Amanin has that vintage flavor people bitched about when that "Deluxe" Amanaman came out.  The Amanaman has some nice strapped accessories to spiff him up a bit including a neat canteen thing and a spear, and the character's tail actually is molded with a wire in it so it bends a little for posing even.  Not much, but a little bit.

Lastly, the Ewok pack...  There's not a ton to say on the set other than it's 3 "new" Ewoks with new decoes and some new gear.  The spears seem new, or at least well made re-used molds.  The axe is definitely new, and an appreciated piece of Ewok hardware.  The hoods and the figures themselves seem mostly used, but appreciated.  The heads may be all new...  The one that comes with a trooper helmet is definitely new as his ears are scupted "curved in" so that the helmet fits him.  The other two, I'm not positive, but they look new to me for some reason.

They have good articulation for figures of their size, and they're the proper smaller Ewok bodies to get the right scale.  Hasbro gives you 3, assuming to make up for their diminutive size.  That makes this a little bit of an army builder set when you think about it, as you can mix/match hoods with these "Ewok Troopers". 

You also get some cool Stormtrooper gear made just to fit the Ewoks...  The helmet itself may interest Stormtrooper fans as it's a new, larger sculpt helmet.  People complain that the current removable helmets are "small", but this one may make a Trooper with a satisfactory sized helmet...  I don't personally nitpick the helmets/armor that much, but others may find this helmet accessory interesting for that reason.

Now, the bad...

-The Amanin's articulation immediately comes to mind.  I'm disappointed he doesn't have elbow articulation, especially considering the comic pricehikes going on.  It would've been especially cool if Hasbro had made the Amanin capable of rolling into a ball for their "attack" mode thing they do in the comic book.  Significantly more difficult to pull off, but it would've been awesome to see in this particular figure.

-Sunber's Elbows...  Minor gripe, but he has angle-cuts.  They work well enough to hold a blaster 2-handed, or to stand at a number of poses, but still a little disappointing they used what appear to be THrawn's leg sculpt but not his arms.

-X-Winger's arms...  The wrist/arm pieces of the X-Wingers are a little loose.  It's frustrating, but nothing major.  I just hate when a figure's arm or something falls off easily, but you learn to live with it usually.  Few of these are ever really a deal breaker.

-Sunber's deco...  I like what Hasbro was going for with making a Tank Sunber that's at the end of the battle with the Amanin, having only a handful of guys (Sunber included) who survived.  It's a cool storyline, and the battle worn Sunber is cool, however I'd take a clean deco Tank any day, and on a basic card as an Imperial Army Officer army builder...  He's really a fantastic figure as he is, and I'd gladly own another 20 if I could afford that many.  Hasbro, you listening?  You CAN resell me this figure, many times over, if you wanted. :)  Just make the deco clean and spiffy.

The Ugly...

-Ewok hood paintjobs...  The hoods could've used just a hair of detailing to the stitching.  I know Hasbro's efforts to mimic the "art" in the Marvel comics (and I use the term "art" loosely.  To me the Marvel books look like poo) with the figures, however I think Hasbro would've done the collectors a favor by just painting the stitching a simple black or brown or grey to just make the figures look a little less "cheap".  Would Marvel fans have honestly cared that much?  Maybe, but I doubt it, and if they had I think it'd be the minority...  Still this is a minor flaw in this set, in my eyes.

-Price...  I paid over $40 for 3 sets.  I recall a time when 3 sets would've been about $10 less than I paid today.  The Comic Pack line was partially about value, so while you're still not shelling out a ton for them, the ever-increasing price is really a pain.  I got these for almost $13 a pop each and tax put it over $40.  That just stung the old wallet.  If these had been $9.99 or $11.99 even, I think I would've been more likely to nab extras tonight on my stop.

Price is the real kicker...  The sets otherwise are outstanding, despite a flaw here and there.  They're really just 3 very nice comic sets.  The fact they're WM exclusives isn't great, however I found a TON of them tonight when I was out, so that's at least a good sign they won't be tough finds for people.  I found them in a pre-pack endcap/island display thing.  Happily run out and nab these sets if you're making the rounds and spot them.  They're all 3 very nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 5, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Are Sunber's shoulders just  a swivel or is there more articulation?

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Saw the 3 packs: Rogue, Luke, & Sharad 

I 'm going to return my complete wave 5 to get those...

Things I dont like, Luke's Cro-Magnon head.  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Tank's shoulders (and whole upper body maybe) are Moff Jerjerrod's if I'm not mistaken...  They are just swivel shoulders and angle-cut swivel elbows.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2009, 09:46 AM »

Is everyone that is seeing these, seeing them at WMs? Has there been a Target sighting yet?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14 AM »

Is everyone that is seeing these, seeing them at WMs? Has there been a Target sighting yet?

These were just found at Target a few days ago.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2009, 11:08 AM »

Walmart as well, I only visited one Target & have 0, so I dunno know yet if others will.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30 AM »
So these aren't exclusives?  The way Jesse started his post above I thought I'd missed a memo and they were only at Wal-mart.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Rob, there are two waves of comic packs shipping right now -

Walmart Exclusive = Sunber/Amanin, Ewok 3-pack, and Ibitsam/Nrin (Rogue Pilots)
and
NOT Exclusive = Wedge/Borsk, Stealth Luke/Deena, and Ki-Adi/Hett
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Thanks Jeff, that's very helpful.  I'm lame and don't really like the comic packs that much, so I usually don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Tank's shoulders (and whole upper body maybe) are Moff Jerjerrod's if I'm not mistaken...  They are just swivel shoulders and angle-cut swivel elbows.

Correct.  Somehow though, this figure seems like a huge upgrade over Jerjerrod, even though there's not much different other than the legs. 

On one of mine, I used a bit of Goof-Off and removed the "dirt" on his uniform. 

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Well picking up the Wal-mart ones was easy... Although two waves of comic packs and the Joker Squadron thing all at once has me seriously questioning my commitment to all this EU nonsense.  I'm starting to think I could sell the entire top shelf of my collection other than the McQuarrie stuff and not miss any of it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #268 on: March 12, 2009, 01:56 AM »
I like EU, a lot, and I'm leaning towards picky too Rob...

Honestly part of me regrets getting anything from Legacy because, well, I find it ****** for the most part.

That said, I like the majority of what we get.  The X-Wingers we got are great, the Tank figure (too bad it's not clean) and Amanin...  Good stuff.  That great grandson or whatever of Luke is just lame looking to me though. :(

The Joker Squad look neat enough to me for trooper diversity, but that's really the only reason I got a set of those...  I'm still debating what to do about that Crucible set.  I think I'll order it on sale/clearance at some point, but not full price at all.  Same with the Previews TIE.  I'd love to own it, but not at that disgusting full price.  It's not even technically accurate to the EU it's from which is annoying as hell.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2009, 12:08 PM »
Finally got my Luke/Deena set. Great figures.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."