Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 214022 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2009, 07:12 PM »
That said, I like the majority of what we get.  The X-Wingers we got are great, the Tank figure (too bad it's not clean) and Amanin...  Good stuff.  That great grandson or whatever of Luke is just lame looking to me though. :(

I'm not trying to say they're not nice figures, they look great.  This whole wave I think is really cool outside of the fluorescent ewoks. 

I just don't know who any of the characters are and don't care to find out.  And it was fine when it was every now and then, but now they're putting out entire waves of EU, EU vehicles, Clone Wars like crazy, Comic Packs, exclusives, and on and on.

Even Gentle Giant seems to have started doing this with their mini-bust line, and there are hundreds of movie characters (lots of them major) left to do... no farm boy luke, but we're getting a TFU Stormtrooper Commander and a Twi'lek Sith... I'm thinking about ditching the EU mini-busts too.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Hasbro keep bringing on more EU stuff. I still want my OTC stuff, but I would rather have a Borsk Fey'lya than my 456th Darth Vader fig. I do follow the EU stuff and I enjoy it greatly.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I'm not trying to say they're not nice figures, they look great.  This whole wave I think is really cool outside of the fluorescent ewoks. 

I just don't know who any of the characters are and don't care to find out.  And it was fine when it was every now and then, but now they're putting out entire waves of EU, EU vehicles, Clone Wars like crazy, Comic Packs, exclusives, and on and on.

Well of course they're putting out waves of EU stuff Rob - why wouldn't they?  They've covered most of the figs from the films at least once if not multiple times, and the movies are yesterday's news from a marketing perspective.  There's only so many redo's and bit characters from the movies that people are going to buy, so why not fill in the gaps with EU stuff?  Frankly, the comics and novels and CW TV show are the current, unexplored areas of the SW universe, so I'd say they're right on trend.  The strategy is actually pretty smart - if you like the comics, this is a way to get you into the world of figures.  If you like figures, but aren't into EU, this is a way to get you to start checking out some of the EU comics and novels. 

I'd like to know how you feel about characters like Pons Limbic and Wioslea.  These are movie based, but have maybe a second or two of screen time.  Do you really know anything more about them than Cade Skywalker or Lumiya or Talon Karde?  Personally, I love the EU material and the figures that are starting to come along with it, but even if I didn't I think I'd rather have an Imperial Knights set over more unknown cantina denizens.   ;)

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2009, 03:55 PM »
EU definitely has a role in the line, and should.  I am enjoying quite a few of those figures ever bit as much as figures from the films. 

If one wants to see the line continue to stay fresh and succeed, I think it's a no-brainer for Hasbro/etc. to continue to explore those areas.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I'd like to know how you feel about characters like Pons Limbic and Wioslea.  These are movie based, but have maybe a second or two of screen time.  Do you really know anything more about them than Cade Skywalker or Lumiya or Talon Karde?  Personally, I love the EU material and the figures that are starting to come along with it, but even if I didn't I think I'd rather have an Imperial Knights set over more unknown cantina denizens.   ;)

Love 'em.  Anything from the actual movie is preferable to anything from a book or comic as far as I'm concerned.  One thing is straight-up Star Wars.  The other is an endless parade of lightsaber wielding anythings that just give everyone a new watered down story to follow.  Don't get me wrong, I read the novels... maybe 75 of them since the mid 90's, and I don't mind getting figures like Karde or Thrawn...  Maybe it's mostly the comics that don't do it for me because I don't read them and don't care too.  I'd take a new obscure film character over even the most popular EU creation any day of the week.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I'd take a new obscure film character over even the most popular EU creation any day of the week.

The reason that doesn't really make sense to me is that it isn't like the EU characters we get (for the most part) are basic figs taking the place of some film character. There have been a few EU waves and is one in the future, but they are few and far between. Whereas CPs for instance wouldn't exist if they weren't EU. And maybe the argument is there could be a different line of toys that were film based without CPs, but I don't know for sure.

I'm glad Hasbro agrees with me and not you. Or at least whatever their reasoning is it fits what I think/like.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Maybe it's mostly the comics that don't do it for me because I don't read them and don't care too.  I'd take a new obscure film character over even the most popular EU creation any day of the week.

I'm in the same boat, yet I just can't quit buying these stupid things.  I have no freaking clue who most of these guys are, but I just can't quit cold turkey on this line....yet.   ::)     OCD

The Shadows of the Empire packs from the 90's were kinda cool, but I never thought we'd get this far into EU.

I'm also a carded SW collector so I don't really have the "luxury" of reading the comic to find out background info to warrent my purchase.  Hell - I don't even like comics for that matter, I've probably only read one or two that a friend tried to push on me as a kid.  I do open my Joes, and I didn't even care to read a single one of those comics.  Anywho...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:06 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2009, 07:29 PM »
The reason that doesn't really make sense to me is that it isn't like the EU characters we get (for the most part) are basic figs taking the place of some film character. There have been a few EU waves and is one in the future, but they are few and far between. Whereas CPs for instance wouldn't exist if they weren't EU. And maybe the argument is there could be a different line of toys that were film based without CPs, but I don't know for sure.

All I know is that not counting vinteage I have seven and a half, 12 foot long shelves full of figures.  The one that has the most figures on it is the top one, and it goes a full 12 feet with nothing but EU figures (they take up a foot or so on the next shelf too).  I'd guess that it's at least one out of every seven figures Hasbro has made that came from somewhere other than one of the 6 movies.  You might think that's right on par.... 6 movies and 'other'... 1/7th etc... but an awful lot of what's on that top shelf came about in the last year or year and a half.  It's accelerated.   There are now hundreds of the things, with tons more on tap.

All I'm saying is that I'm considering giving up on what's about 8 figures away from being a complete set of every Star Wars action figure ever created because I don't want to keep spending more and more each year on stuff from comic books.  There's nothing interesting or timeless about that stuff that makes me want to spend $7.99 plus tax on them (or 2 for $12.99 plus tax for the comic packs).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2009, 08:11 PM »
I found the Wedge/Borsk pack today.  The best thing about it is that Wedge's head pops onto the Evolutions Janson body - instant Snowspeeder Wedge.  Myself, I buy maybe 10% of the comic packs.  I don't read or know a lot of EU beyond the Zahn stuff.  If it looks cool or has some tangential connection to the films, like Wedge and the Bothan, I'm all for it.  And me personally, I don't think there's much difference between Wiosela or Borsk.  The amount of space they occupy in the SW universe is the same.  So long as they make what I want, I'm good with whatever else they do.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2009, 08:15 PM »
I'm with Rob on this topic, but I think comic packs are ok for what they are.  Like mentioned, I'd rather EU figures occupy that line than the basic figure line.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2009, 10:47 PM »
I have a couple of criticisms of that Rebellion 2-pack.  First, the headsculpt and paint on Deena Shan.  Hooboy, that's completely fugly!  And not really excusable because the new TESB Leia shows that Hasbro can do a decent woman's headsculpt.

My other gripe?  Where did Luke's lightsaber come from?  The timeframe of that comic is supposed to be between ANH and TESB.  But the hilt is totally wrong.  It's not like this is a case like the VOTC pilot Luke, with the Vader saber hilt.  This is some other lightsaber hilt that I've never even seen.  What gives?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2009, 11:02 PM »
My other gripe?  Where did Luke's lightsaber come from?  The timeframe of that comic is supposed to be between ANH and TESB.  But the hilt is totally wrong.  It's not like this is a case like the VOTC pilot Luke, with the Vader saber hilt.  This is some other lightsaber hilt that I've never even seen.  What gives?

This is likely due to the way his LS handle is drawn in the comic.  The figs are loyal to the comic rendition that what might be movie accurate.  I don't recall seeing blue shading and red eyes on any stormtroopers in the movie either...
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #282 on: March 14, 2009, 12:32 AM »
Do they try to keep true to the animation style of DH comics though?  The Marvel things are completely stylized, but not the DH stuff...  Most if it's made to fit with the "realistic" line of figures without alteration, if I'm not mistaken.  Didn't Hasbro even mention that back when comic packs were first touted?  I could just be misremembering that at the time, but I thought that was their gameplan they made public.

I like the EU figures so long as Hasbro doesn't skimp on them, which they have on several...  That said, I tend to agree that I'd take any number of film obscurity figures over EU ones.  There's a few EU that grab my attention, but in general they fit pretty flawlessly in with the film figures too...  Keyan Farlander for instance (though I do want an X-Winger of him someday).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2009, 12:57 AM »
Do they try to keep true to the animation style of DH comics though?  The Marvel things are completely stylized, but not the DH stuff...  Most if it's made to fit with the "realistic" line of figures without alteration, if I'm not mistaken.  Didn't Hasbro even mention that back when comic packs were first touted?  I could just be misremembering that at the time, but I thought that was their gameplan they made public.

I think the "style" is meant to fit in with the rest of the basic lines, but the design (accessories, coloration, etc.) is meant to mimic the comic version.  So they're willing to paint a stormtrooper with red eyes and a blue shadow because that's how he's depicted in the old Marvel comic, but they're not going to restyle him to look "animated" like they have with the Clone Wars.  I think CW figures make sense to do a "cartoon" or animated version of because they literally are based off of a cartoon.  Comicbooks and Novel characters aren't meant to look "animated" in the same way a cartoon is - it's just the way they have to be portrayed due to the medium being used to convey the story.

I still prefer to have a character with some kind of story or meaning in the expanded SW universe than some extra alien sitting in a back corner of 1 second of movie time, but that just goes back to the fact that some people like me really like the EU and some people hate it.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 14, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Don't buy the EU stuff then. If you consider the new CW stuff EU then you will end up with tons of it. I think Lucas and Hasbro know they have to grow the kids into fans if this line is going to continue for decades more so all the EU stuff is going to let the movie stuff keep getting made as a huge line that gets a lot of space at general retailers.

My biggest confusion is not people who say I don't like EU stuff and won't buy it, but the people who say I hate it and they should stop making it. You wouldn't get all the stuff you like for years to come if it didn't exist.