Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 214119 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that the very good (maybe not quite overwhelming) response on many of the collecting boards caught the eye of Hasbro. They (Hasbro) may seem to think these would then sell better as single carded figures instead of comic packs. Less shelf space for them to take up at about the same price point (broken down per figure), or maybe even a little better on the single carded figs. 

I gotta say for me, I'd almost rather these be single carded anyway. I'd want to army build some of these figures, but not all of them. So being able to buy them singly would make it that much easier for me and I'd buy more figures than comic packs to satiate my wants.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2009, 02:04 PM »
I think everyone already knew this (or thought it was coming), but according to the Q and A at BanthaSkull, it looks like comic packs are done after the "Spring 2010" assortment.  The quote:

"Yes, here's the latest. We can confirm that the Comic Packs will be
discontinued after Spring 2010 (meaning no packs for Fall 2010). The
Wal-Mart exclusive Comic Pack program has been cancelled after the last
ones ship this Fall. Wave 3, including the pack with Tholme and T'ra Saa,
will now be on shelf approximately March in the U.S. along with the rest
of the Fall Comic Packs shown at Comic Con. This schedule should hold
unless there are further delays. The Spring 2010 Wave 1 packs shown at
Comic Con, including the Darth Nihl & Deliah Blue pack, may not make it
out at all based on the current rate of sale, but we remain hopeful. The
Camie/Fixer pack will be a convention exclusive next year."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 17, 2009, 02:56 PM »
I don't think they're going to single carded EU.  They have a big EU wave for the end of this year or first part of next, and then the TFU multi-packs coming to Toys-R-Us...then that's it.  No more EU next year and, if the Q&A responses are true, we're going to see a lot less EU going forward not more.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 17, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Oh I don't know.  EU is still pretty fertile ground.  I'm sure they're looking to see how Wave 13 performs as a test, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more EU waves in the near future if those figures sell well.  I do agree that comic-specific figures will be harder to come by without the comic-book format - there's far more popular EU characters from the novels in most cases. 

Keep in mind that the Live Action TV series is (supposedly) on the way as well.  If you consider that EU, I think you will see a LOT of EU figures to support it. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #514 on: November 17, 2009, 05:42 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more EU waves in the near future if those figures sell well. 

You must have missed this nugget from Monday's Q&A @ SWC:

"After the last wave of Legacy/Droid Factory, set for approximately February, there are no more EU figures slotted for the mainline basic figure wave until Fall 2011, at the earliest."

So, while there will probably still be some EU box sets here or there, EU is disappearing from the basic figure line for a while after the upcoming wave...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2009, 05:44 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more EU waves in the near future if those figures sell well. 

"After the last wave of Legacy/Droid Factory, set for approximately February, there are no more EU figures slotted for the mainline basic figure wave until Fall 2011, at the earliest."

So, while there will probably still be some EU box sets here or there, EU is disappearing from the basic figure line for a while after the upcoming wave...

I wonder if they include their EU/offscreen figure and vehicle repaints in that category.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 18, 2009, 12:16 AM »
I am SOOO disappointed Hasbro's canceling the CP line! :'( I'm pissed because they keep including sets that never sell, and then they always wonder why the line is failing!

Keep in mind that the Live Action TV series is (supposedly) on the way as well.  If you consider that EU, I think you will see a LOT of EU figures to support it.  

Man, I hope that new series works wonders with Hasbro. We NEED more EU! It's a breeding ground for new figures (contrary to what Hasbro thinks!)!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:58 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 18, 2009, 01:12 AM »

I did miss that, but still stand by my earlier assessment given the above statement.  If wave 13 isn't hitting until Feb 2011 (which means March for most of us), then they're just saying we won't see any additional EU figures in the basic line for another six months...that's actually a pretty quick turnaround if it happens.  Their wording also seems to signify that they are adopting a wait-and-see approach to determine if sales of Wave 13 are strong enough to support future EU waves.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #518 on: November 18, 2009, 01:26 AM »
If wave 13 isn't hitting until Feb 2011 (which means March for most of us), then they're just saying we won't see any additional EU figures in the basic line for another six months...that's actually a pretty quick turnaround if it happens. 

I think you mean Wave 13 is due around Feb 2010 and since they said Fall 2011, that's a bit longer than just six months...  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 18, 2009, 08:20 AM »
That stinks that they are canceling this line! >:( :'( >:( :'(  The Comic Pack line is my favorite line right now. I hope this does not mean Hasbro will be making less EU stuff.  I read the books and would like to see some more book characters made.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 18, 2009, 01:01 PM »
News that this line is getting cancelled is really disappointing to me.

I really like what they've been able to do with some of the comic packs so far.

However, I can't help but notice (and now comment on) the fact that there have been FAR TOO MANY reissues in this line!

The clunker Marvel sets that Hasbro trotted out as the first mass-release wave of this format, all received a "repaint" variation in the same packaging and then recently with the Red/White packaging, they brought back out the Vader/Rebel and Han/Chewie sets. Why? Were the previous two releases of these sets not enough?

Why did the first EIGHT Red/White packs need to be primarily repacks? I'm sorry, but there is no excuse why the latest wave of Comic 2-packs couldn't have just been 2x each of the three new ones (numbered 1, 2 and 3) and then 1 of the Luke/Deena and 1 of the Mundi/Hett sets STILL in the Blue/White packaging - the packaging is the SAME SIZE, they could have cross packed Blue/White and Red/White in the same case.

Heck if that's a problem put 3x each of the Katarn/Vong set and 3x each of the Krayt/Dare set and then just 2x each of the Luke/Lumiya set.

All I see in stores around here are Red/White packs #1, #2, #4, #5 and #6 - and they are in abundance. What made them think that the Wedge/Borssk set was so great it needed to ship again? In most instances there are still Blue/White comic packs left and almost always it's the Wedge/Borssk set!

Maybe what they need to do is send their reps around and pull all of the Blue/White Comic packs AND all five of the Red/White repacks and fire the idiot who created the mess in the first place.

If they had shipped a case like I suggest above and those sets were what was clogging the pegs, then sure I would concede and say "huh, I guess the comic 2-packs aren't selling so well" - however, when a "new" case of the comic packs comes in and the three new sets fly out the door leaving the refuse behind, I blame the peg clogging on ineptitude, not on poor sales.

I've said it on various different threads dedicated to this sub-line before - the assortments should ALWAYS just be four new comic 2-packs, packaged 2x per case. That allows for the cases to easily be marketed where they would most like do the best - with adult collectors who may choose to buy them online. If I didn't always end up with junk I didn't want more of, I would gladly buy cases of comic packs that were 100% new sets with each wave.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 18, 2009, 01:05 PM »
If wave 13 isn't hitting until Feb 2011 (which means March for most of us), then they're just saying we won't see any additional EU figures in the basic line for another six months...that's actually a pretty quick turnaround if it happens. 

I think you mean Wave 13 is due around Feb 2010 and since they said Fall 2011, that's a bit longer than just six months...  ;)

Ooo.  Yeah, that IS a long time.   We are on Fiscal 2010 at work and I was thinking 2011 was just around the corner.  Cripes - that means another year before I retire as well!   >:(

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 18, 2009, 10:38 PM »
I hope Hasbro does get out the new sets (Exar Kun/Droma, Tholme/T'ra...). I'm upset they're canceling the line before the Darth Nihl and Jarael sets come out. Man, I wanted those!  >:(

Here's to hoping that Hasbro releases those sets before the line goes.   :-X

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:05 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 19, 2009, 10:14 AM »
exactly.  I was super stoked about the comic packs pictured above.  now they are in limbo as to when they will get released.  I am saying "when" as opposed to "if" because they are there, they are tooled, they spent money on them, some day they will come out - just "when"?

bottom line in my mind Hasbro "killed" the line in terms of bad sales.  Legacy line cp breakdown that killed the line imo:   

3) Anakin Skywalker & Assassin Droid (Republic) - repack from TAC collection
6) Fenn Shysa & Dengar (Marvel) - craptastic marvel coloring.  purple Dengar wtf?  i will pass on a Barney fig.
7) Princess Leia & Tobbi Dala (Marvel) - craptastic marvel coloring.  basically just a repaints.  Leia has barebones articulation.  I thought Hasbro said that when they raised the price of the comic packs from the TAC lines to the Legacy line it was so they could put better quality figs out...  this could also be said about the above CP - except I still have a somewhat soft-spot for Dengar since I don't have one yet.
8 ) Leia Organa & Prince Xizor (Shadows of the Empire) - I bought this set but I know a lot of people didn't due to Leia cankles and Xizor looked like a girlie man.
9) Grand Admiral Thrawn & Talon Karrde (Heir to the Empire) - I bought this set but I can see why it didn't sell well.  I don't think kids are too interested in Admirals in general, plus I don't think the "Sons of Anarachy" action figure in this pack looked out of place from Star Wars.
10) Darth Vader & Grand Moff Trachta (Empire) - basically $13 for Trachta plus a comic.  No one needs that Vader.  takes me back to my price bump questioning...
11) Darth Vader & Princess Leia (Infinities - Return of the Jedi) - repack/repaint - nothing new.  Vader with the wrong color saber.

and of course the plain old marvel repacks:
  1) Darth Vader & Rebel Officer (Marvel)
  2) Chewbacca & Han Solo (Marvel)

Final thoughts:
1. crappy pack selection as noted above.
2. price bump that did not follow through with their intentions.
3. crappy pack selection as noted above coupled with price bump that did not follow through with their intentions.

='s Hasbro not taking the CP line in the right direction.  While I am not a Star Wars comics afficinado, I am sure that there are comic packs that could have been made that were much more exciting.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 19, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Wow, I'm am depressed about not getting Delia Blue, Darth Nihl and Jareal. I was really looking forward to those figures. (Not so much the Rohlan Dyre).

I really REALLY hope Hasbro finds a way to get these figures to market.

I totally agree with the others whose sentiment about repacks in this line helping to KILL the line. The odd Marvel color repacks are just that odd. They were the more novelty items of this line and shouldn't have gone into a 2nd reissue (3rd time hitting shelves). I don't know anyone who needs/wants those sets.

Man, I really am bummed about Blue, Nihl and Jareal.

I'm going to be very disappointed if these don't come out. I'd hope for another pack of some sort with these figs in it, but it appears Hasbro isn't going to do that either.

What I don't think Hasbro is realizing is that they themselves are making it easier and easier for collectors to get out of collecting SW. Repacks, ridiculous repaints, too high of pricepoints.... all of that is crushing the line. They may blame it on the economy and to some extent that is true, but giving us essential the same stock over and over again just isn't going to cut it either. What was once nice new product become OLD and quickly. There should be a general rule of thumb with Hasbro that nothing is reissued more than once, unless they see a spike in interest from fans (this includes kids, adult collectors and casual fans alike). At least as far as figures go anyway. Vehicles and ships use a slightly different set of rules. (Though outrageous price hikes for simple redecos is preposterous - Imperial ARC-170 anyone?)
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010