Author Topic: Legacy Collection Comic Packs  (Read 214827 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Collection Comic Packs
« Reply #675 on: March 14, 2010, 01:44 AM »
No sign of the WM sets locally.  I figure this week or next weekend.  I'm kind of burning out on the weaker offerings of Comic Packs as well, and what CHEWIE said about the Imperials struck home with me.  I'd kind of like Weir out of principle, but I really would rather army build the actual Imperial Commando (from the Evo set) than these half-assed repaints of Biker Scouts.  Imp Commandoes had unique armor from day 1, so I hate the ****** "Shadow" repaints of scouts I guess.

WEir's different enough, I'd like him, but I'm tempted to just skip this set.

Rom Mohc I'd LOVE to have, but not as a GAR Officer.  I want Mohc as the fat assed Imperial General from Dark Forces.   :-\  That set too is meh.

The set I wanted the most was teh REbel pilots and it's easy enough to find. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 14, 2010, 01:31 PM »
I saw those sets at Wal Mart yesterday, but almost thought they were re-releases and I wasn't that impressed with the content offerings.  General Weir did look neat, however.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 14, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Imp Commandoes had unique armor from day 1, so I hate the ****** "Shadow" repaints of scouts I guess.

I'm a complete sucker for any trooper Hasbro paints black so I'm happy - even though I don't know who these guys are.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 14, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I know I'm pretty late, but what exactly is the matter w/ the Pluorr comic that has made Hasbro pull it from it's Walmart initial run? I thought they had pulled it due to manafacturing problems. But from what I've read it seems that the comic itself is iffy.   ???
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #679 on: March 15, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Got the new IG-97 & Rahm CP. Veryu nice set, plus the best part of the set is you can easily swap Rahm head with Needa and it fits perfectly! So you can lose the green outfit/old body look with a standard Imp outfit.

The Weir pack is so terrible, they had 6 sets lingering and 1 IG-97 set. It seems many people are passing on this very useless and poorly executed set. Deservingly so. I usually buy stuff like this to support the line but it was such an easy pass as those days are over. They can do better even with reused parts. they should have made another Ewok pack.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I know I'm pretty late, but what exactly is the matter w/ the Pluorr comic that has made Hasbro pull it from it's Walmart initial run? I thought they had pulled it due to manafacturing problems. But from what I've read it seems that the comic itself is iffy.   ???

I have asked this same question over and over at multiple SW sites and have NEVER gotten a satisfactory answer. I honestly think it is all complete BS. They probably just didn't want to shell out the $$$.

What is so offensive about a bald chick for crying out loud?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #681 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15 PM »

I have asked this same question over and over at multiple SW sites and have NEVER gotten a satisfactory answer.

The reason Walmart dropped the Plo/Dllr comic pack had something to do with the contents of the comic, but Hasbro would not officially say what specifically it was.  Insider sources say it is related to the massacre of Plourr's family and/or her vicious murder of her own brother in that particular story arc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 15, 2010, 01:26 PM »
@McMetal - apparently you are not familiar with the Sinead O'Connoer SNL incident...    lol   :P

@Jeff - I have been reading these comics lately and I honestly don't think that Plour's background, in the manner in which you speak, wasn't even addressed until several issues later.  I will try and remember to check this out - I keep forgettitng.

Part of me is wondering if this "excuse" isn't just an excuse to not sell it.  What I mean is, from what I see locally for me, last time around the WM exclusive Rogue packs didn't sell well.  Maybe WM put its mighty foot down and said we aren't taking it on the chin again?  Afterall, to me atleast, this pack is less exciting than the two Rogues offered in the last pack.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #683 on: March 15, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Part of me is wondering if this "excuse" isn't just an excuse to not sell it. 

Well, all Hasbro would say on the record is that the pack was dropped "because of the subject matter".  It's up to you to decide if you're going to take that at face value or to consider whether Walmart just used that as a handy excuse to drop a pack that they no longer wanted due to poor sales of other pilot sets. ;)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Ok, I had the chance to go look - here is what I came up with:

This is part 1 of 4 in the story arc
In this part Plourr briefly talks about how her family was murdered but doesn't go into great detail.  She sees someone whom she believes responsible, the Grand Duke, and calls him a "murdering bastard".  The Grand Duke also makes mention of the family being murdered by saying "they herded the royal family and slaughtered them like cattle".

The real description of the slaughter of Plourr's family/brother isn't mentioned until the end of the third as a cliff hanger to the 4th part, and then immediately discussed in part 4.

So there is that, but here could be the real "ringer":

Count Rial Pernon - the final page of this comic ends with him saying the following in response to Wedge questioning who he is:

I am her second cousin.  We grew up together.  I do admit, I am a little disappointed in her reaction.  You would think she would be happier to see her future husband...

So perhaps Walmart has a problem with "kissing cousins" and they don't want to portray a bad image? 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 15, 2010, 08:32 PM »
So perhaps Walmart has a problem with "kissing cousins" and they don't want to portray a bad image? 

That's hillarious.  Fits in good with the WM bingo thing that was floating around.  I'm sure WM doesn't want to support trailer trash type behavior?  Nah..... 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #686 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49 PM »
My EE pre-order for the last wave of comic packs has changed to "processing".  Nice surprise as I wasn't expecting them for a while... :)

Also noticed that EE changed the status for the case to 'Sold Out'.  Hope everyone who wanted to order got a chance to order!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 17, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I thought that maybe Wal-Mart didn't want more X-Wing pilots so that's what they're referring to as "subject matter" - with so many Wal-Marts still having a surplus of the other X-Wing set, combined with the X-Wing Evolution figures as well, it seems logical that they were afraid they'd get the same result with these. 

I know there's a market for them, and some big fans of Rebel pilots out there, but I just think Hasbro put too many out in such a short time.  Jayson hinted earlier that maybe Hasbro should have released some 5-6 packs or something online instead - I think that would have been a better formula perhaps.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #688 on: March 17, 2010, 06:24 PM »
My EE pre-order for the last wave of comic packs has changed to "processing".  Nice surprise as I wasn't expecting them for a while... :)

Also noticed that EE changed the status for the case to 'Sold Out'.  Hope everyone who wanted to order got a chance to order!

My order is processing as well!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 17, 2010, 07:35 PM »

Just an update...

We have just been informed some more units have come up. So if you've been waiting, we're taking new pre-orders.  I'm assuming those will be filled in a week or two, don't quote me on that though.  (So to reiterate: not sold out.)

MY case has processed and was dropped off.  It's pretty swell-- I opened 2 of them so far.  I read all of the TOTJ comics when they came out and I don't remember this outfit off the top of my head as Ulic is concerned.  It seems Exar Kun was based on the Jedi Academy novel illustration rather than the comic.  He looks really old.

Also opened the Blackhole pack.  Kinda wish they based it on the comic illustrations more.  (White or silver lenses make a Blackhole stormtrooper distinctive, dammit.)  It's the removable helmet mold from 2007 and I have to say the armor color itself is pretty neat-- just not true to the comic.   The holo Blackhole is pretty neat AND pretty weak.  I love the deco-- the little stars and all on the black looks really great.  It should also be taller, unless I'm looking at the comic wrong.  Hasbro kinda missed out on this one.  The new interrogation droid is nicely done but I'd rather have, you know, a non-cruddy Blackhole.  Oh, and he looks like he's naked, basically.  As a wise man once said, in matters of importance, pants always beats no pants.  I guess at least we got one Russ Manning set... but in 2007, with the accessories, this probably would have qualified as a single basic figure and not a $15 2-pack.

Haven't opened the rest yet, but they look mostly OK.  This seems like a wave that should sell reasonably well assuming it makes it to the wilds of retail.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News