Author Topic: Who Is Not Buying?  (Read 29950 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is Not Buying?
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I was just looking back at the first couple pages of this thread, and I'm wondering did most of us stick to our original "not buying" plan?

Nope. I've bought quite a lot of stuff from this line. Not everything, but quite a lot. :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2009, 01:45 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the animated style, but I'm really loving the droids that we're getting, and find they mix well with my realistic stuff.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15 PM »
I'm still very much picking and choosing this line. I just don't see the need to recollect many of the same characters all over again. While I like the clones and many of the other sculpts, they are just different enough to not fit in, to me, with the realistic figures (with some rare exceptions).
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I got sucked in. I thought the Clone pack-in with the AT-TE would do it, but it was actually finding basic figures two weeks early at Target. I've been army building and everything, and I cannot say I regret it. The animated figures are easily much more exciting than the Legacy stuff. Going forward, I'm definitely going to get more choosey with one-episode figures such as space suit guys, Argyus, etc. The clones and aliens I'm still cool with though.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I think I already posted in this thread somewhere, but I'm too lazy to check.  I've picked up every CW fig to date and NOW it's just getting to the point where I go WTF am I doing?  I wanted Jar-Jar out of the new wave, but the rest?  Meh....I don't need, but have an urge to buy.  Not digging that Hasbro is releasing more obscure characters either - especially in the battle packs.  This is a money pit and I want out as I'm already in one with the regular line, amongst others.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07 PM »
I've stuck to my guns and haven't picked anything up from this line (aside from the AT-TE and the Spider Droid, which are both realistic anyways.) I hated the 'movie.' I gave the show a chance for a while, but stopped watching after a few weeks. I still have no desire to pick up any of the figures and that won't be changing any time soon.
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2009, 12:43 AM »
I'm proud to say I have never bought a clone wars figure ever.  ;D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2009, 08:10 AM »
I'm PROUD to say I have bought every one of the figs so far and plan to continue.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Personally, I'd be happy if this line dies.

However, I also realize that at present it seems Hasbro is content with this line and allows the realistic line to continue to appease we collectors. Should the animated line dive, I don't think Hasbro would have enough NEW material left to produce realistic toys for 9 more years (the amount of time left on the contract).

In doing the animated line, they make it possible for people to collect the same characters all over again, in a different style, if the person CHOOSES to. As well, they make them available for the KIDS who are new to SW.

This is really a catch 22. Pretty much everything except the figures are done in the animated style. Ships, beasts, etc. Yet it's the animated figures that are supposedly selling well. So much so that Hasbro is stating we collectors have lost interest.

Again, we haven't lost interest in the REALISTIC line. Many of us never wanted the animated line. So there was no interest to lose there, if we never had it to begin with.

I've bought a handful of figures from the animated line. But I can't justify collecting it in huge numbers like I did with the realistic line for several reasons.

I feel for those who now are saying WTF...why did I start collecting this line? Buyers Remorse is one thing that is on the rise it seems. Whether that's due to pricepoint, quality, whatever.

Anyway, that's yet another two cents from me.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 1, 2009, 09:59 PM »
So, are you upset that they are making animated figures from an animated show?  Or are you upset that they are not making realistic style figures from this series?  I am just asking because it does not make sense to me that anyone would be upset because they are making animated figures from...well...an animated program.  I think it makes total sense that they would make the line animated.  However, I myself do wish they would pump out some realistic style figures from this animated show. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 2, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Yeah, I've never had a problem with them making animated style figures to match the show either.  It makes sense, and it is what the majority (if not all) of the other brands do as well (the Marvel animated shows, Transformers, etc.)  I do wish we'd see a wave or something covering a few of the new characters from the show in realistic style though, and maybe we'll see that some day.  I mean, the big names are essentially covered (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Grievous, Dooku, Jedi), but if they had a wave with a realistic Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Captain Rex, and miscellaneous one-off characters like Vebb, the crazy doctor, or the Coruscant Security Guards I think the collector base would be pretty psyched for that.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 4, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I can't really say I'm upset at the animated line persay. I understand the business sense of it from Hasbro's perspective.

However as both of you eluded to, it would be very nice to have some of the more main figures (who have not already been made) into realistic style as well so we can put them with our realistic collection.

Had this been done from the start, using the very same figures from each wave, now in realistic style, I would have bought:

2008 FIGURES
  No. 1: Anakin Skywalker
  No. 2: Obi-Wan Kenobi
  No. 4: Captain Rex
  No. 7: Battle Droid (depending on articulation)
  No. 9: Ahsoka Tano
  No. 10: Commander Cody (Phase I style)
  No. 11: Clone Pilot Odd Ball
  No. 14: Plo Koon
  No. 15: Asajj Ventress
  No. 18: IG-86 Assassin Droid
  No. 19: Clone Trooper (212th Attack Battalion)
  No. 20: Padmé Amidala
  No. 21: Clone Trooper (with Space Gear)
  No. 22: Magnaguard
  No. 23: R3-S6 ("Goldie")
  No. 24: Jar Jar Binks (Bombad Jedi)

2009 FIGURES (New Packaging)
  CW02: Clone Trooper (with Space Gear)
  CW03: Rocket Battle Droid
  CW04: Clone Trooper (41st Elite Corps)
  CW05: Kit Fisto
  CW06: Mace Windu
  CW07: Admiral Yularen
  CW08: Jawas
  CW09: Commander Gree
  CW10: ARF Trooper
  CW11: Super Battle Droid (Heavy Assault)
  CW12: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Space Suit)
  CW13: 4-A7
  CW15: Whorm Loathsome
  CW16: Commando Droid
  CW17: Clone Trooper Echo
  CW20: Clone Trooper Denal
  CW21: Anakin Skywalker (Space Suit)
  CW22: Cad Bane
  CW23: Ahsoka Tano (Space Suit)
  CW***: Battle Droid (Firefighter)
  CW***: Nikto Guard
  CW***: Padme Amidala (Adventurer Suit)
  CW***: Senate Guard/Captain Argyus

So really I would have only passed up about a handful. of these very same figures, had they been done in realisitc style. And of those most if not all were "hero" figures that are more popular with kids, so the one I wouldn't have bought, someone else would have.

As I see it then, Hasbro lost several hundred dollars on me alone. Considering I'd have also squad built the troopers and some of the other troop type figures, that's more they lost.

It stands now that I've only bought 3-4 of the figures. ANd only two of the battle packs, B'omarr Monastery Assault (for the Speeder Bikes), and Battle of Christophsis (Ultimate) again for the vehicles only.
Also, most assuredly I'd have bought the exclusive figures had they been done in realistic style as well.

I'd venture to say that MANY collectors would have bought Clone Wars figures if done in realistic style. I really think Hasbro is shooting themselves in the foot by currently refusing to make these in realistic style. It's bad enough the animated style is squeezing out the realistic line, but we've also got the Legends line that is stinking up the pegs.

Hopefully in the NOT to distant future, Hasbro will see the error of their ways and also give us realistic figures from the cartoon. I'd hope for a battle pack of them or an uber fan choice poll where they give us tons of choices and the top 24 are chosen from that. That would give us 3-4 waves of previously animated style figure now in realistic style. That many characters would cover many of the ones we've asked for and should those waves sell well, then possibly more waves to come.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 5, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Quote from: jedi_master_sal link=topic=17787.msg424065#msg424065
Hasbro will see the error of their ways and also give us realistic figures from the cartoon.

Error of their ways?  The CW **** is on fire.  I believe they've implemented the correct strategy - satisfy the consumer demand (mostly kids right now because of the 30 minutes of 'free advertising' that is present every week) and in a couple years, produce the same characters in realistic form to satisfy the collectors.

It's a win-win for them.  And let us not forget that they're also getting collector sales from the animated figures today.  There's a lot of you out there - you just won't admit it or post about it.

« Last Edit: May 5, 2009, 10:38 AM by ruiner »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 5, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Yeah, I think that ruiner is right.  Hasbro is probably making the best business decision.  The CW stuff is really hot it seems (particularly with kids), and like he mentioned, it is free advertising every week with the toon.  It is very similar to the '80s Joe and He-Man toons in that way.  Just look at all of the vehicles we're getting now (and likely in upcoming years) that we probably wouldn't have seen if it wasn't for the CW cartoon.

They're getting the kid/parent sales now (and a fair amount of collector sales as well I'd guess), and then they will eventually do some realistic style versions of these characters down the road when the toon is over (or maybe even sooner), and we'll buy them all up.  They'll get some of us for double as we have both the animated and realistic versions.  I would have rather they just did it all in realistic style from the start as well, but I can definitely understand why they made them look like the toon.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #134 on: May 5, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Well, it's hard to pin it all on Hasbro, as they made perfectly clear from the beginning that they wanted and intended to do the new CW series in the same realistic fashion as the regular line, but that Lucasfilm vetoed that and made them do them in an animated style. 

I really don't know how much difference it makes to the kids who are into CW that I know.  To them, it doesn't seem to make any diffeence if the R2, 3P0, Plo Koon, or Padme are animated or not.  The main problem is that they don't know who Saesee Tinn is, think the Organas are hoplessly boring, and flat out laugh at how "stupid" Yarna is.