Author Topic: The Apple iPhone Thread  (Read 31821 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Why can't the new connector be just a standard mini usb port just like every other phone? Another Apple money grab.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Why can't the new connector be just a standard mini usb port just like every other phone? Another Apple money grab.

I'm not surprised...they have had the proprietary connector since the beginning.  At least they are making adapters.  I remember have to buy a wall plug for ~$30 when I got my first iPod because you could only charge from a computer otherwise.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:56 PM »

I explained this two posts ago...

I'm a little annoyed by the articles this morning with people complaining about the new connector.  It'd be one thing if they just switched it to switch it, but it's going to be much faster and is reversible - which really should be the standard by now.

It will be far faster than mini-USB, and will plug in even if you're holding it upside down.  AKA, performance-wise, it is a major improvement.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Damn, you Apple!  I finally bit the bullet and got an iPhone 4S back in May, and now I'm locked into that phone for at least another 14 months.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Does anyone find it odd that there are no car chargers available as of yet?  I can understand that Apple kept the charging port under wraps, but even the Apple store doesn't have a car charger available yet.  Everything is just a USB adapter, but like everyone else, I don't want to have to either buy a second cord or carry the cord that comes with phone everywhere.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 10:20 AM »
You don't need to by a separate cord just get the adaptor and leave it attached to your existing charger in your car.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Does anyone find it odd that there are no car chargers available as of yet?  I can understand that Apple kept the charging port under wraps, but even the Apple store doesn't have a car charger available yet.  Everything is just a USB adapter, but like everyone else, I don't want to have to either buy a second cord or carry the cord that comes with phone everywhere.

I think it's pretty regular for accessories to lag behind by a few days or weeks with new iPhone releases.  I remember the last time around having a hard time finding screen covers and case options until a week or three later.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 02:27 PM »
You don't need to by a separate cord just get the adaptor and leave it attached to your existing charger in your car.

The problem is that this is my first iPhone, so I have your standard cell phone charger.  I have a cord for my ipod, but that would require an adapter plus the car charger with USB outlet.  I also have radio adapter for the iPod, but it doesn't charge my wife's 4s, so I don't think that is a viable option either.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 02:29 PM »

I think it's pretty regular for accessories to lag behind by a few days or weeks with new iPhone releases.  I remember the last time around having a hard time finding screen covers and case options until a week or three later.

The car charger seems to be the only item not available at this point.  I have seen cases, screen protectors, the adapter for the old charge cord, but not any car charger.  I don't think I've seen spare cords either, but I haven't really looked too hard for them.  I doubt I can be the only one getting an iPhone for the first time, so I would think at least Apple would have the car charger out to make a few extra dollars.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Hmmm.... the car charger I have is basically a USB to Cigarette lighter adapter.  It's 3rd party, and any USB cord fits into it.  Maybe just grab one of those?  I'm assuming it'll still work with the new phone, since only one end of the cords are changing.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Hmmm.... the car charger I have is basically a USB to Cigarette lighter adapter.  It's 3rd party, and any USB cord fits into it.  Maybe just grab one of those?  I'm assuming it'll still work with the new phone, since only one end of the cords are changing.

That is what I'm trying to avoid, either having to buy a second cord identical to what comes with the phone or having to lug my cord around.  I would rather have a dedicated cord for the car because I will be dumping my ipod and just use the iPhone for my in car mp3 player.  I have to stop by the Apple store anyways when my phone shows up since the Applecare is much less than buying the protection plan through Verizon, so hopefully they will have them by then.  Verizon always runs deals on accessories, but they didn't have either a car charger or the case I wanted when I ordered the phone, so they lose out.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Silly question:  why would you want to get the iPhone 5 right away?  If history has shown us anything, it's that new hardware may have issues.  So why not wait a few months until the craze dies down, and the hardware bugs are worked out?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03 AM »
Silly question:  why would you want to get the iPhone 5 right away?  If history has shown us anything, it's that new hardware may have issues.  So why not wait a few months until the craze dies down, and the hardware bugs are worked out?

I don't necessarily need to, but my current phone is going on 3+ years old so I had been waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out to get that one instead of getting the 4s.  I think just about everyone will be in the same boat with the operating system upgrade that comes out next week.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 10:45 AM »
This will be my third iPhone.  The first two I got on the release date and have never had a problem outside of the antenna thing with the iPhone 4, which was easily fixed and was never really a hassle.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 03:04 PM »
I'm not getting the 5 immediately and will wait a bit...  I never upgrade my phone immediately regardless.  I like to build up about $100-$150 so the hit isn't so bad.  I'm probably nearing $100 but I still won't upgrade right off the bat since I'm not much of a tech snob (no offense to anyone) and I'm perfectly happy with my 4.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77