Author Topic: The Apple iPhone Thread  (Read 31823 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I'm not getting the 5 immediately and will wait a bit...  I never upgrade my phone immediately regardless.  I like to build up about $100-$150 so the hit isn't so bad.  I'm probably nearing $100 but I still won't upgrade right off the bat since I'm not much of a tech snob (no offense to anyone) and I'm perfectly happy with my 4.

Once you get one iPhone, you can pretty much upgrade for free after that if you're eligible for an upgrade with your carrier.  I bought  my 4 for $199 and  sold my 3G for $225.  I plan on doing the same next week once I have the 5.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 04:46 PM »
I don't get into selling ****, and I don't have upgrades through my carrier, just acruing $50 towards one every year I keep my contract...  One time I went in and my contract was so old they laughed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Silly question:  why would you want to get the iPhone 5 right away?  If history has shown us anything, it's that new hardware may have issues.  So why not wait a few months until the craze dies down, and the hardware bugs are worked out?

I don't necessarily need to, but my current phone is going on 3+ years old so I had been waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out to get that one instead of getting the 4s.  I think just about everyone will be in the same boat with the operating system upgrade that comes out next week.

I think I'm in the exact boat you're in.  I'm looking at the i5 simply because I'm still using my 30GB iPod classic.  I was contemplating a new iPod and thinking Android phone but for how much I use the phone I have now, an iPhone even if it isn't spectacular as a phone solves two problems.  I'm looking at roughly the same (idiotic) rate for an iPhone or an Android (Galaxy or HTC) on a contract, so I might as well get an iPod out of it.  That's probably going to be my primary usage anyway so I am pretty much looking at it as an iPod that can take phone calls too. 

Any advice on how much data I realistically need?  Mostly I'd be doing stuff WiFi but some need for data will be there.  Plans in Canada suck but I'm curious what you guys use per month.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Looking at my usage, I've used 4.2 GB over the life of the phone with 670 MB sent - which is nearly 2 years.  That said, I'm on wi-fi at my house, and at my office... so that covers most of the hours in my average week.  I've also never bothered to look at it closely, I still have an unlimited plan (until AT&T decides to rip them out of early subcriber's hands that is).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 09:45 PM »
My iPhone, as a phone, has been fine for me Brent...  if that's any help.  I get bad signal in valleys...  doubt you have a problem with that.  :P  Where I am, it's a big issue, but I still feel it's a very decent phone and a very fun everything else.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 10:09 PM »
We have valleys.  That's where we run da buffalo into. 

Adequate as a phone is really all I'm after.  I'm just not seeing any reason to not get an iPod that works as a phone instead of having an iPod and a phone.  At least that's the direction I'm leaning.  I still consider my old classic to be one of the greatest inventions ever. 

And thanks Rob.  Plans here are generally 200 MB, 1GB or 3 GB per month.  Only one company has unlimited and I don't like that company much at the moment. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:10 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 12:25 AM »
That's where we run da buffalo into.

:D

Yeah mine works pretty good as a phone...  adequate at least, pretty well though in general IMO.  I'm no cell phone expert though.  As an everything else though, it shines.  I went from my BB Storm to this, and I was really just livid with my BB at that point, so when I got the iPhone there was this learning curve (which is probably moot if you have an iPod), but the thing's been invaluable...

In DC I used it constantly.  I use it downtown to find a place to eat quick.  I use my map feature at work almost daily...  Forget about all the apps and stuff, that's just using the phone itself.

I'm sure Androids are pretty similar but my iPhone's a godsend.  I am not a huge music guy, but I even break out the tunes on it when I'm alone a while or going for a longer walk.  I fell in love with the thing the day I got it.  Hell, I'm only on Twitter (@Jesse_James77) because it's easy to do it from this phone and my BB sucked a nut.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20 AM »
I agree. Blackberrys suck. RIM really has no clue what they are doing anymore. It's only a matter of time until bankruptcy court for them.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I too went from a Storm (which I DID like) to an iPhone4, and the difference is staggering.  Everything just works so much better on the iPhone.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Things work even better on a Windows Phone but no one knows that thanks to Microsoft's crappy marketing and company perception.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I've used Androids, my buddy has the R2 one...  He's let me use it a lot when we're out because he's anti-Apple.  Can't say things worked "better".  Similar I think...  I wasn't overwhelmed by it though.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Thought you guys might find this interesting...

Why It’s Unnecessary to Completely Reinvent the iPhone Year After Year

The Truth About Mature Markets

The reality is that the smart-phone market is reaching maturity. We currently sell more smart phones worldwide every year than we do traditional desktop and notebook computers. Over half the U.S. population has a smart phone, and we will quickly get to 75% saturation over the next two years. Once a market reaches the point where smart phones are today, history shows us that more evolutionary product iterations are the norm, while revolutionary leaps happen less frequently and are, in fact, more difficult.

The fundamentals of this market accurately reflect a mature growth market. Which means there are still new customers to acquire, and these customers are shopping with predefined preferences. If all of a sudden a leap in innovation occurs, it runs the risk of not being adopted by larger segments. This section of the market is the largest size by volume and appreciates more evolution than revolution because of the less technical nature of its needs and wants.

To use a parallel industry as an example, we do not expect Ford or Kia or Honda to change the world every year with their newest products. In fact, I can think of no industry that releases products on an annual basis where the expectation is radical innovation in every product. Mature markets simply don’t work that way.

Apple wants consumers in the middle part of the adoption curve who appreciate upgrades in key features they find valuable with each new generation. This part of the market wants products that are simple to use and just work. They do not want to have to tinker with or fuss with such products. That’s always been the appeal of the iPhone, which is why its satisfaction ratings are the best in the industry, and it’s exactly what the market will find appealing about the iPhone 5.

There's more at the link...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 08:09 PM »
I keep hoping the electronics marketplace matures to the point where we don't have to replace phones every year (for those that do) or aren't so hopelessly outdated so quickly that there's a more natural degredation of the hardware over a longer period of time.  Pollution from electronics is the stuff that really scares me to be honest. 

I'm not looking for leaps in technology anyway.  Anything released in the last 18 months will be a huge leap for me anyway as I'm just using a standard Motorola Razr flip phone anyway.  Having a music playing device that I can call/text/surf with will be more than adequate for me for quite a while.  If I can pull off Rob's stunt of selling my phone or if the company I'm going with allows for upgrades without penalty (my current carrier does not) then it's all a win to me. 

Things work even better on a Windows Phone but no one knows that thanks to Microsoft's crappy marketing and company perception.

Wasn't Microsoft under some sort of court implemented ruling that restricted their marketing in the phone/tablet area for a number of years?  They certainly seem to have missed a large boat.

I've used Androids, my buddy has the R2 one...  He's let me use it a lot when we're out because he's anti-Apple.  Can't say things worked "better".  Similar I think...  I wasn't overwhelmed by it though.

Android stuff is fine and really I was probably leaning more that way based on handling both phones a bit and we have an Android tablet at home.  But when it comes down to it for me I'm looking for more of a music device that does some extra stuff (as I've said repeatedly) and I do love the iPod, so it seems a more natural, logical choice.  Phone don't care so much, music device for me the iPod is the runaway winner. 

The only other benefit I'm actually looking for is something I can use to access the nerdverse of yahoo fantasy sports.  Since changing jobs I can only access stuff at home.  It's been a painful ten months. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2012, 01:13 AM »
Funny how I actually liked my Storm for playing music...  go figure eh?

It was easier to make custom ringtones for it too.  I had the final seconds of the Pens last cup game as my ringtone...  I had to futz around to make that work on my iPhone.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2012, 11:11 AM »

Wasn't Microsoft under some sort of court implemented ruling that restricted their marketing in the phone/tablet area for a number of years?  They certainly seem to have missed a large boat.

Microsoft has been selling tablets since 2002. Granted they were pure crap running XP but they were tablets.

I can find anything about a court case restricting marketing. It really comes down to internal infighting within Microsoft and a giant company that's only focus is desktop for everything even if it doesn't make sense on a touch device. Now Microsoft has the opposite situation. Windows 8/RT/Phone works great on a touch device but scares people on a desktop. Of course according the Apple the desktop computer is dead so it might not matter anymore.

If course, crappy marketing and perception doesn't help.