Author Topic: The Apple iPhone Thread  (Read 31820 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2012, 12:34 PM »
I'd disagree that the Desktop is dead.  Sure, it's not what it used to be but there's no way I can do most of what I do on a tablet, phone, or even laptop.  These small devices are great on the go, they're great for media consumption, but I'm not animating a commercial on one any time soon.  Not by a longshot.

And Apple is getting ready to refresh the MacPro's, which tells me that they don't believe it either.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Maybe not dead. Steve Jobs called them trucks and not everyone needs a truck. They need an iPad (car) instead. I know I can't do my job without a desktop machine. Notebooks are too small to do proper coding.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2012, 01:18 PM »
I do engineering work on a laptop.  However, it has a docking station at my office so I get a full sized monitor and keyboard.  It is much easier to use in that mode than normal laptop mode.  I can get away with it when I need to, but I still prefer the desktop setup.  If I just needed a device to surf the web that was portable, I would probably prefer a laptop over a tablet.  I haven't had the chance to use a tablet yet, but I don't think I would like the virtual keyboard for a large amount of typing.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2012, 01:36 PM »
The next big thing is already here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:49 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Ah yes... Making fun of the customers you're trying to lure away from a given product is a proven strategy for winning them over.

Of course when they make fun something like the connector, they gloss over the superior speed it's going to have... just like with all these little jabs.  All this cynicism and mocking, but the iPhone sold 2 million units in the first 24 hours.  That says a lot about Apple's brand identity, about customer loyalty, their superior product...

Is bumping phones to share playlists really something people care about?  ???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:22 PM by Rob »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Anyone download iOS6 yet for their phone?  Buggy or OK so far? 

I didn't have a chance to update my 4S yet and some of the bad reviews I've read today (maps, battery life issues, etc) have me thinking about waiting a few days before updating...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Mine works pretty well, granted I only have the iPhone 4 so I don't get all the bells and whistles that come with the 4S but it's far more responsive and smooth pre-iOS6. I did have an issue with my home wifi network after the update but that was a Apple server issue and it was quickly addressed and fixed.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Don't think I even got a notification I needed to update my phone...   ???

I too only have a 4 though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 06:42 AM »
Anyone download iOS6 yet for their phone?  Buggy or OK so far? 

I didn't have a chance to update my 4S yet and some of the bad reviews I've read today (maps, battery life issues, etc) have me thinking about waiting a few days before updating...

I upgraded the wife's 4s last night.  Haven't had much time to play with it since it took several hours to download and configure, but no problems so far.  I was able to take a panoramic picture of the kitchen and request a sports score from Siri.  Both worked fine.  Just need to test the turn by turn directions.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Just got my 5.  So far so good.  Similar to what I had, but faster, lighter, and with Siri and a Retina display. 

The maps thing has some bugs apparently, but there's a pretty awesome view on it (if you're in a city that they've gotten to so far) where you can basically fly around a full 3D model of the city to see where you are.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19 PM »
2000 FoxConn employees get in a brawl while assembling the iPhone 5. 40 injured. No iPhones damaged.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/factory-brawl-hits-shares-apple-150746460.html

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 7, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Downloaded OS6.  Looking forward to FaceTime on 3G networks. 

I think Apply completely screwed up by going away from Google Maps.  Google Maps are far, far superior to the junk Apple just put out.  3D is nothing but a gimmick.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 7, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Don't worry.  They know it.

They're working overtime to fix their maps though... at some point in the not too distant future, they'll get caught up for the most part.

The 3D city view stuff is awesome though.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »
So my Mrs just got her first iPhone, the 5. We're trying to put pics from her Windows 7 laptop onto the iPhone. ITunes doesn't appear to support photos, so I'm trying to access the internal storage of the phone as if it were a flash drive / camera. Though I can see the DCIM folder on the storage, we can't write to it. My Google-fu is showing me that Apple restricts access to the iOS file system, but I would think accessing the photos shouldn't be as problematic as this. Am I missing , is there a way to access DCIM without using a 3rd party app or does iTunes support photos and we're missing it?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41 AM »
Jason, I'm not sure what you mean by supporting photos as I'm completely tech stupid, but I can say that I took all my pics off my BB and put them onto my iPhone without any problem.

I have to do some file shifting and I'll PM you with what I do so you can see what my process is, if you want.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77