Author Topic: Previews "Crimson Empire: The Crucible" Box Set  (Read 31030 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Crimson Empire Crucible Exclusive Set
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50 PM »
I'm glad this was my least favorite part of the comic... this is a mega-morphing pass for me. Also, what is with all the hatred for the Crimson Empire series? I really liked both stories, but that might have more to to with getting both Graphic Novels for $3 each.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 04:05 PM »
What the **** kind of stupid **** is this? Maybe I'll buy it if it comes with some new Megazords. And a Green Ranger. Or a White Ranger. Or Alpha-5. Hell, why not just throw in a TP roll, paint Palpatine's face on it and pretend it's Zordon?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Where's the Shadow ninja???
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Wow, those are shockingly dumb.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 05:03 PM »
I'm actually in the minority here I guess as pretty much digging this one.  What's not to like about Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax in their ninja training gear?

I actually passed on the Republic Commando set and the Death Star Briefing set, so I'm due anyhow.

If you like the Crimson Empire comics, you have to like this.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 05:23 PM »
I wish there was a green ranger
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 05:24 PM »
I just noticed the Yellow Ranger Ninja has a Pokeball on its head. Star Wars/Power Rangers/Pokemon triple crossover?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 05:45 PM »
If my eyes are not mistaken the legs appear to be the same mold as the TAC Training Fatigue Clone Trooper. They have the same stupid stance too. Anyone else agree?

Yup.  I had the same reaction when I saw them this morning, and tried to squint and make a comparison, and it seems this is the case.  However, it looks like-- and maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me here-- that there are at least 2 unique torso sculpts, and possibly the arms are different as well?

(And where's the green dude?  Wookieepedia has one more named guy, they couldn't squeeze in greenie and dump the Emperor or something?)

I have to say this is a very easy pass and a very odd choice given that Crimson Empire is not that popular. (Maybe in the late 90's since there was not that much SW to go around)

Which is why it's "popular" in the sense that it has any level of awareness.  I won't say that it's great, but popular?  Yes, absolutely.  It's right up there with Heir to the Empire, Dark Empire, Shadows of the Empire (hey, there's a pattern here.)  Most Star Wars comic series just faded away into nothingness, yet fans kept talking this one up for quite some time.  As someone who picks up and reads all of these things since Dark Empire, I can say that a lot of them are extremely forgettable.  (Or at least, I forgot them.) Not so much Crimson Empire.

This one clicked.  OK, so you're not a fan, and I personally didn't much care for the human faces in the interior art, but it did introduce a bunch of neat looking characters and it seemed everybody and their brother made a custom Kir Kanos and/or Carnor Jax from when the series debuted until the release of the actual figures at the end of 2007.  For a miniseries that was "not that popular," it's probably one of the most widely known (and I assume widely read) series that Dark Horse put out.

This set is hardly essential, but as concept box sets go it's a pretty solid idea.   As comic series with any level of fan awareness go, Crimson Empire's near the top of a very short list.  The series was OK, but it really benefitted from gorgeous covers and amazing, memorable imagery.  You can blame these figures (and the three others so far from the series) on Dave Dorman's insane level of talent and the fallout from a few paintings he did like ten years ago.

Anyway, go go power rangers and such.  I hope they sneak in a cardboard Squall for them to fight on or something.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I think I may pull a wait and sale thing on these...  The previews sets have all been available cheaper in the last year so I may wait on these since I'm not digging them but wouldn't mind having the set.  Full price though, I think I'm out on that one...  Sorta wishing I'd waited on other sets like the Commandoes as they went for cheaper and ultimately I was disappointed with the articulation level of the figures...  They're not a bad deal at the price they're at though, but this set really just doesn't interest me like the Imp. Officers and Commandoes did as far as the character selection, so yeah, a sale may help me make the purchase...

At least if it eases up the shipping cost, I may be more pleased with the buy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 07:31 PM »
Looking at the way Adam is defending these makes me think these are the mystery EE box set.  ;)

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Looking at the way Adam is defending these makes me think these are the mystery EE box set.  ;)

I thought this may have been the EE set, but none of these match up to any of the shadows in the pic (one should match per adam saying one fig in the pic was the real shadow.)

I kind of dig them, at least it something new somewhat.
still want a pink power ranger though
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 08:41 PM »
WOW.

New low! :D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46 PM »
I thought this may have been the EE set, but none of these match up to any of the shadows in the pic (one should match per adam saying one fig in the pic was the real shadow.)

I kind of dig them, at least it something new somewhat.
still want a pink power ranger though

It doesn't really match the EE description of being an exclusive that "includes 6 unique action figures and accessories" either - maybe 4, and that would be pushing it.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58 PM »
I remember this particular bit from CRIMSON EMPIRE.  Can't say that I really care for the figures though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 10:10 PM »
If my eyes are not mistaken the legs appear to be the same mold as the TAC Training Fatigue Clone Trooper. They have the same stupid stance too. Anyone else agree?
Yup.  I had the same reaction when I saw them this morning, and tried to squint and make a comparison, and it seems this is the case.  However, it looks like-- and maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me here-- that there are at least 2 unique torso sculpts, and possibly the arms are different as well?

Based on the photo provided the only thing that appears to be different to me is the heads underneath the helmets. While there does appear to be a slight crease difference on the torsos I cannot see Hasbro tooling 2 different torsos for this set, it's too minor of a difference. I think it might be the lightning playing tricks on both of us. You may be right, it's really hard to tell. No mistaking the legs though.......

I have to say this is a very easy pass and a very odd choice given that Crimson Empire is not that popular. (Maybe in the late 90's since there was not that much SW to go around)

Which is why it's "popular" in the sense that it has any level of awareness.  I won't say that it's great, but popular?  Yes, absolutely.  It's right up there with Heir to the Empire, Dark Empire, Shadows of the Empire (hey, there's a pattern here.)  Most Star Wars comic series just faded away into nothingness, yet fans kept talking this one up for quite some time.  As someone who picks up and reads all of these things since Dark Empire, I can say that a lot of them are extremely forgettable.  (Or at least, I forgot them.) Not so much Crimson Empire.

This one clicked.  OK, so you're not a fan, and I personally didn't much care for the human faces in the interior art, but it did introduce a bunch of neat looking characters and it seemed everybody and their brother made a custom Kir Kanos and/or Carnor Jax from when the series debuted until the release of the actual figures at the end of 2007.  For a miniseries that was "not that popular," it's probably one of the most widely known (and I assume widely read) series that Dark Horse put out.

This set is hardly essential, but as concept box sets go it's a pretty solid idea.   As comic series with any level of fan awareness go, Crimson Empire's near the top of a very short list.  The series was OK, but it really benefitted from gorgeous covers and amazing, memorable imagery.  You can blame these figures (and the three others so far from the series) on Dave Dorman's insane level of talent and the fallout from a few paintings he did like ten years ago.

Anyway, go go power rangers and such.  I hope they sneak in a cardboard Squall for them to fight on or something.

I have to respectfully disagree with this being a solid concept box set. I am not just saying that for the sake of disagreeing either.  To me, a collector focused exclusive set that includes two repacks of very common characters that collectors have had enough of (sans a kick ass ROTJ Emperor) strikes me as two bad choices right off the bat. I would understand the choices if this was going to be a mass retail set, but it's not. Combine those two repacks with four very obscure non-troop & non-saber wielding colorful power ranger-esk ninja characters makes the BF II sets look irresistible. Most E-Tailers could not even sell out of the Briefing room and that was a good boxed set. I understand Hasbro's repaints & repacks necessity in certain sets but this one makes no sense to me at all. Looking at fan reaction across the major SW websites, this is one set that has not been well received so far. I have supported every internet boxed set (including the very atrocious BF II sets which I only kept 3 figures from the two sets: Gonk, Jet trooper & Engineer) I have no desire to see any fail, I want Hasbro to continue making them. I just do not see this as a good choice for a set, I want to support this one but just can't.  On a more positive note, I am really looking forward to your EE set, I already have 2 sets on pre-order. I know you wont let us down, every set you have made thus far has rocked. (Please no B-Wing dudes.....Please no B-Wing dudes.........)

I do agree that Crimson Empire is a well known DH comic (to the 27+ crowd). Kir Kanos was really the only requested figure from that comic, Canor Jax did get some fan love too. Outside of that I have not read or heard one request for any other characters from Crimson Empire series since their comic pack was made 2 years ago. If there is requests please share, I am open to being wrong on that one. The hardcore guys got the one figure they wanted - Kir Kanos, and they were given some icing with Canor Jax. Comics like HTTE, SOTE and DE are still populating fans top 10 wants lists to this day.

Outside of that Crimson Empire falls into the realm of the Boba Fett comics. Forgettable except for the main character.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/