Author Topic: Legacy Prices - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!  (Read 164368 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Prices - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!
« Reply #180 on: March 7, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I saw on another site that "SW2009" should be good for 10% off SW merchandise.  I've not used it though, so I can't confirm it; hopefully, it will work for you.

Thanks.  I did see that, but was ordering Marvel Universe figs and it wasn't giving me a discount.  I found 5 of the figs I wanted in stock and didn't want to pass it up, but it was going to cost $50 with tax and shipping.   :P

How's this for a discount though...while searching for Hasbro Coupons, I came upon an Ebay offer for a $100 Gift Certificate to Hasbro Toy Shop for $54.99.  I gave it a shot and got the code in about an hour.  Went to Hasbro and it worked fine - even allowed me to use the GC for Tax and Shipping!  I had to find another $55 worth of toys, but just picked up other items I bought from retail and will return those (prices were actually cheaper on comic packs and battle packs at HTS anyway).  On top of that, I used the SW2009 code to knock another $5 off the extra SW items I bought. 

So I ended up spending $55 + $3 over my $100 total, but I'm planning to get about $60 back on my SW returns (2 BPs and a comic pack), so I got my 5 Marvel Universe figs for -$2!  Sweet!
« Last Edit: March 7, 2009, 05:34 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2009, 12:44 PM »
I went to Target the other day and saw that there's a temporary "Price Cut" from $8.79 to $8.24. Yipee. ::) They're gonna have to do more than that to move all the Yarnas and Ak-Revs. I keep noticing a 1st Day of Issue Ak-Rev that's just been sitting there every time I've gone since July.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2009, 06:50 PM »
Yet another Battle Pack price hike...Every Wal-Mart in my immediate vicinity (about five of them) have raised the prices on their Battle Packs from 21.96 to 23.96 in the past week.  Target is still holding steady at 21 and change, but I'm sure that won't last.

So, Hasbro drops the fifth figure to keep prices at the 20 dollar price point, only for retailers to increase the retail price by 4 bucks anyway, meaning the Battle Packs really aren't a deal at all now with four figures (which are usually repaints and retools) at right around what you'd pay for four individual figures at retail to begin with.  Stuff like the Yavin Hangar set I can stomach, but for them to drop the Nikto figure from the animated Jabba set and STILL have WM charge 24 bucks for it is just ridiculous. 

I think that all these prices going up is going to come back and bite Hasbro and retail in the ass.   >:(

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2009, 11:03 PM »
Target is still holding steady at 21 and change, but I'm sure that won't last.

I was at Target today and they were 24 something. :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2009, 09:49 AM »
BPs have been $24.99 at Targets in my area for months.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2009, 10:06 AM »
I see Han's Hideout has posted that TRU is running a sale this week offering the "starfighter" vehicles and battle packs for $14.99 each.  Not too bad.  I've been contemplating buying an AAT, so if our store has one this price might finally get me to do it.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I see Han's Hideout has posted that TRU is running a sale this week offering the "starfighter" vehicles and battle packs for $14.99 each.  Not too bad.  I've been contemplating buying an AAT, so if our store has one this price might finally get me to do it.

My TRU was doing this sale too, but they didn't have any battlepacks left  :(

They did have about a dozen B-Wings left, though none of them came up as a valid item when I tried to do the price checker, to see if they were on sale.  So I took one up to the customer service desk to do that price check, and the woman found a bar code under a sticker, but it wasn't coming up on sale.  So I made the argument that since it is a Star Fighter, it should be 40% off.  She gave me the discount!  Whoo hoo!  With the discount and before tax it was $24.99 if anyone else wants to give it a try.
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Technically a B-wing is a large size ship and not a normal $20 small ship that the discount is suppost to apply to so you really shouldn't get the discount. I really don't think most places will go for that unless they just want to get rid of you. But heck if you can argue well enough you could get a large wing TIE for 40% off instead of $39.99. I wonder if they would give you the 40% off on a BMF. :o
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2009, 11:45 AM »
I think that all these prices going up is going to come back and bite Hasbro and retail in the ass.   >:(

I sure hope so - I have a feeling that's what killed the Titanium line and I have a feeling Hasbro wanted that line to fail for one reason or another after all these years.

**Also - the Speederbike BP had both Speeders facing each other in the ad, but mine (which is in storage) had both facing the same way.....IIRCC.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:50 AM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2009, 11:50 AM »

I sure hope so - I have a feeling that's what killed the Titanium line and I have a feeling Hasbro wanted that line to fail for one reason or another after all these years.

At at least one Target near me that has its basic figures at over nine dollars after tax, nothing is moving! I've seen the same exact figures sitting there for weeks, even from the animated line which is surprising. There are even 1st Day of Issue Ak-Revs and Yarnas in a few places. So I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro and retail (retail especially, and especially Target) eventually learn a lesson from this after sales drop, and eventually get a clue and lower the prices. Otherwise stuff just won't sell. I know I won't be buying much.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Technically a B-wing is a large size ship and not a normal $20 small ship that the discount is suppost to apply to so you really shouldn't get the discount. I really don't think most places will go for that unless they just want to get rid of you. But heck if you can argue well enough you could get a large wing TIE for 40% off instead of $39.99. I wonder if they would give you the 40% off on a BMF. :o

The ad was a bit ambigious in that while it said

"40% OFF ALL Star Wars Battle Packs & Starfighter Vehicles
Sale 14.99 ea."

it did state that "ALL Star Wars ... Starfighter Vehicles.." (TRU caps not mine) and since the B-Wing was labelled a fighter, it was reasonable to include it in the 40% off (from my perspective).  You're right though.  I think it did come down to the person at the counter.  I was polite to her, my two year old was charming, so I think she was willing to make a reasonable exception to how the computer wanted to process the sale.  I agree the intent of the sale was for the ships we consider in the "$20" line (TRU sells them for something like $22, right?).  But i think the wording of the add was such that the woman could reasonably make an exception.

So the moral of my story is that if you want to bend Toy R Us' sale a bit, give it a try, just find the most Grandmotherly looking clerk, bring along a smiling toddler and give it a try.  Otherwise if you work for Toys R Us or their lawyer, I didn't do this, it was a guy I know.    ;)
I am not the Stig

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Hmmmm....I wonder if this would work for the Lars Homestead; it is a battle pack (I think). How long does this sale last?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2009, 01:09 PM »
If you guys can get this to work on the B Wing or the Lars Homestead then more power to you, but when the ad says 40% off and then lists the price $14.99 to me that isn't ambigious. That means a specific original price which the B Wing and Lars HS are not.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Thru March 28th.  I didn't try and scan the Lars set.  Though I'm sure Phruby's (and TRU's) point still applies.  That this is meant to be on items that would lower the price, after the 40% discount, to $14.99.  Not sure if you have an older sibling that has a toddler or anything David, but maybe you have can borrow a puppy or something instead  ;D
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I'm going to maybe run to WM and see if I can find a Hoth set or two.  Wouldn't mind more Hoth scouts...

I'm partially tempted to try it on the STAP set for the Clone Wars but the droids bite so it'd be a waste of cash I guess just for the STAPS.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77