Author Topic: ROTS soundtrack  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
ROTS soundtrack
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:09 PM »
What are your opinions of the ROTS soundtrack? For the most part I though it was pretty good but not as good as it should have been. The creepy music when Anakin is talking to Palpy is good and the Battle of the Heros music was good but not as good as the Duel of the Fates.

However, why is the throne room from ANH in the end credits? What does this have to do with anything? At the end, everything ends on a dark note, then we hear the "we beat the empire music" from the next movie. Why?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: ROTS soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:25 PM »
I can't say any of the prequal music struck me like the OT soundtrack.  The Duel of the Fates and its variations were nice though, but I don't think anything captured me like the original Jedi theme, Imp March, or the battle of Hoth (one of my favorites).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:22 AM »
I noticed it with TPM and it's something that stuck with me through the other two prequel soundtracks- the music was banal. There were excellent themes from all three, though, obviously the Love Theme from AOTC, Duel of the Fates, and Battles of the Heroes. I suppose that it's a sign of the prequels being different in tone than the OT, plus John Williams being older and maybe having some different musical influences and techniques than he did for the OT.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Could it be that John Williams is just "phoneing in" his scores now rather than writting new and different soundtracks? If you compare the Indy KOTCS soundtrack to ROTLA, KOTCS's themes and scores are very simple and they take a lot of music from ROTLA but just slightly reworked. KOTCS and ROTS have a lot of areas where a tone is used for the entire track. I know its to build suspense and a mood that something weird is happening (ie. where paly is watching the opera) but he made simular tracks in ROTJ that had more detail too them. (emporers throne room) . I guess I'm just saying there isn't alot of neat little musical touches that he had in his older works. It's fairly generic.

Offline Commissar

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:25 AM »
I liked the soundtrack, I thought it was all cupcakes and sprinkles; although to be honest I am enjoying the Batman The Dark Knight soundtrack far more.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Sorry to say, but this was the worst soundtrack of all the SW films. With everything being recycled from the first two prequels, the punctuation needed to make the end sequences of the film shine contributed to it's lackluster. Also made it seem like John Williams didn't even try.  :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Kind of like the KOTCS soundtrack. I don't think Williams is trying anymore.