Author Topic: Target "Pit of Carkoon" Ultimate BP  (Read 46015 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Target "Pit of Carkoon" Ultimate BP
« Reply #180 on: April 4, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I'm sure many Targets still have a ton of both battle packs in their storage area.  Looks like they were just trying to make a few more bucks off these sets as they didn't sell as well as the 07 sets.  I've yet to see any clearanced - or let alone an entire endcap, but I'm sure it's coming.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 4, 2009, 09:00 PM »
It seems to be very likely that there might be a number of Ultimate battle packs lying around.  Typically there were only 2 on the shelves at a given time, except for when they were initially stocked on and endcap during the holidays.

But the great question we're faced with is this:  is Hasbro going to learn their lesson and not give us shoddy repacks for the Ultimate battle packs in the future?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #182 on: April 5, 2009, 12:19 AM »
More likely they will not do anymore.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 5, 2009, 11:26 AM »

But the great question we're faced with is this:  is Hasbro going to learn their lesson and not give us shoddy repacks for the Ultimate battle packs in the future?

I hope so. I'd wager that the first sets were popular because they both had a nice mix of troops and accessories. The Scarlac in particular sat because, let's face it, unless you didn't have the figures and the skiff, it was kind of a boring set and a lot of money just for the cheep Scarlac. Hopefully Hasbro is filing that under useful note.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 5, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I hope so. I'd wager that the first sets were popular because they both had a nice mix of troops and accessories. The Scarlac in particular sat because, let's face it, unless you didn't have the figures and the skiff, it was kind of a boring set and a lot of money just for the cheep Scarlac. Hopefully Hasbro is filing that under useful note.

Same exact deal with the tatooine set.  The hut was great, but who wants to pay $50 + tax for it?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #185 on: April 6, 2009, 02:13 AM »
I'm hoping to land a Sarlacc for 30% off.  I'll sell the skiff/figures off to recoup some of the cost and eat wahtever the rest of the Sarlacc's price is.  I really can't justify $55 for that POS set though.  Same with the Tatooine set...  Hell, more so.  That hut is a 2-piece chunk of plastic, and a few figures that aren't worth spit.  $50+?  **** it, I'll do without...  Some stuff I just have to say no to and put my foot down.  i'm thinking I may pass on Wedge/Borssk too...  Love the comics, but Wedge as a figure sucks, and Borssk isn't far behind in sucking (I don't care for that look for the Bothans and prefer the Zahn Trilogy look they had).  I figure I may nab Borssk alone for cheap at some point down the road.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 6, 2009, 09:46 AM »
I thought in one of the Q and A's in the past months, Hasbro had mentioned that they "wouldn't be revisiting the format" when referring to these UBPs - mainly because of the poor sales of the Sarlacc and Lars Homestead sets (I think they said the Clone Wars set sold quite well - although there are still several here).  I suppose higher priced vehicles will take their place if that is the case, but there probably was more potential with these UBPs if they kept the price closer to $50 and focused on making them a "value" like they used to be.  Those Hoth/Endor packs the year before were really a nice value, and there are other options similar to that out there.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I see in the Q and A at RS this week, they ask about the current UBP format (using environment pieces) and Hasbro sounds like they'll be staying away from the environment-based packs (like Lars and Sarlacc) - and that the vehicle based packs are more successful for them.  I'm guessing the Hoth and Endor packs from 2007 performed much better than the current batch (which we can see), so maybe we'll see a return to something like that this year again.  I wouldn't mind that if they held the value that those previous sets had.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2009, 11:22 AM »
What would people think if Hasbro did the environmental sets right, with good, sturdy plastic, more bells and whistles, no figures and then charged about the same price? But then again, that would be a play-set, wouldn't it?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2009, 06:50 PM »
It looks like, at least here locally, that the clearance price was indicative of where these things should have been priced originally.  Last week, our local Target had an endcap of UBPs (8 Sarlaccs, 2 Christophsis) on clearance for $38ish.  Today, there were just two Sarlacc packs remaining (still at $38).  Now, these packs (particularly the Sarlacc and Lars Homestead ones) were still weaker than the previous years' Endor/Hoth packs, but I think if these were originally priced at $40 (or even $45) they might have sold a little better.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2009, 12:38 AM »
They're selling out here for $38 as well...  Which is good.  It's at least a sign that they were overpriced to the retailer and the manufacturer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2009, 10:12 AM »
These UBP's sold out pretty quickly here once they hit clearance.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2009, 11:55 AM »
After working on some collection re-arranging/packing up over the weekend, I finally got around to opening this pack up.  I have to say, the Sarlacc is pretty cool - and nicely made.  Also, I'm happy to finally add a skiff to the collection, since I missed the earlier version.  Although it has been covered here before, I have to agree that the figures in this pack are absolutely horrible.  Aside from the fact that (prior to price cuts/clearances) the prices were incredibly high on these, they could at least give us quality figures within the pack itself.  Luke, Lando, and the Weequay are painted horribly, and they could have included the VOTC Fett as well.  The figures themselves are pretty much a complete waste, and it is too bad there wasn't at least a couple nice or kitbashed figures included instead.  Anyways, this is for another topic, but it does make me realize how we could actually use resculpts of the Lando Skiff figure (not to mention a carbonite Han).  Those figures (when painted decently) aren't terrible, but could stand a nice upgrade compared to what we see today.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2009, 07:05 PM »
People at the local Toy Show this past weekend had this set for $80...  Not a joke there.  No punchline...  They seriously wanted $80 for them.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51 PM »
People at the local Toy Show this past weekend had this set for $80...  Not a joke there.  No punchline...  They seriously wanted $80 for them.

I'm still hurting from the $54 version.  Found another on clearance at $28, but it was past the Target due date so no refund on the balance.  Oh is well   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN