Author Topic: Target "Pit of Carkoon" Ultimate BP  (Read 46007 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Target "Pit of Carkoon" Ultimate BP
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2008, 02:01 PM »
"Well our costs have all increased and this and that...  and so you're ****** over, sorry!"  :)

This review (thanks Pete) coupled with these ****** prices are enough for me to pass.

People, if you want/need a 2nd Skiff just PM me.  I have two here and I'd gladly part with at least one of them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2008, 02:23 PM »
Sounds like the base is a true disappointment, and I'm not surprised at all.  I guess I'll have to try and make my own "sand area", which I really don't want to have to do.  Does the Skiff stand on it easily, or does it tend to tip over?

I could not get my Skiff to stand on the area easily at all. I might have just been tired and impatient, but I tried several times without any luck.

This could have easily been fixed by them just putting three notches in the cheap plastic shell where the three landing-gear/legs could have slid into.

I'm going to try again tonight 'cause I was looking at it in the display case this morning and I'm totally not happy with how the set looks.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Oh, I just wanted to add, that I guess I'm "lucky" - the UBPs came up as $62.99. I know at some other stores in my area, the price scanner reads $72.99 - that price stinks!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2008, 07:26 PM »
I just got my Sarlaac today  ;D. Passed on the other set. it was 62.99.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2008, 11:04 PM »
$70?!

These things were stupidly expensive at $50, no way in hell am I buying it for $70.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2008, 11:49 PM »
I've been looking forward to the Sarlaac set but at $70, I'm thinking of taking a pass. :-\ 

Hopefully I can find one for $63 on one of the days that I'm using one of my 10% rewards coupons.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2008, 04:21 AM »
$40 is the most I would pay for this.  Twenty for the skiff, ten for the pit, and ten for the figs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2008, 04:39 AM »
I've been looking forward to the Sarlaac set but at $70, I'm thinking of taking a pass. :-\ 

Hopefully I can find one for $63 on one of the days that I'm using one of my 10% rewards coupons.

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I've really been looking forward to getting the Sarlacc, and I'm one who missed the previous chance at the Skiff, so it was looking like a good set to me.  But, $63 was already pushing it to me, and $70 is even more so.  I may end up bending once I see it in person, or maybe it'll just go on the "Christmas list", but I'm hoping to be able to pick it up.  It may be the last larger purchase I'm able to make for awhile, but Hasbro/Target/retail is really starting it push it with these prices.  Everyone has less expendable money these days it seems, and making things cost even more isn't exactly going to drive sales.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2008, 09:46 AM »
Ouch. I might just wait for clearance now.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Held this set in my hands this morning and put it back on the shelf.  Too expensive, don't need another skiff, crappy figures, base is way too shiny and the "hole" isn't as deep as I thought it should have been to gobble up Jabba's goons.

Pass, but I will pick up if I'm lucky enough to find it on clearance.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Pass, but I will pick up if I'm lucky enough to find it on clearance.

The fact that last year the two UBPs didn't stick around long enough to end up on clearance is what drove me to buy the two of each of the 2009 UBPs when I had the chance.

I will probably regret it in a month when the Sarlacc pit set is still hanging around and it's on clearance for $30, but if that happens, I'll still be well within the 90 days of my original receipt and I'll just pick up the clearance one and return it with my receipt from last Sunday.

I doubt the Clone Wars set will be hanging around long enough for clearance. The two vehicles and six figures really help push that one over the edge IMHO.
Peter

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2008, 12:46 PM »
For the first time in a while, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this set.  The price is just ridiculous (I really thought this should be $50.00 like the sets from last year), the pack-ins suck and it seems they really cheaped out on the plastic base.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2008, 10:11 AM »
For the first time in a while, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this set.  The price is just ridiculous (I really thought this should be $50.00 like the sets from last year), the pack-ins suck and it seems they really cheaped out on the plastic base.

Chewie I never had a first thought on this thing even for $62.  I'll grab it if they discount this thing, but really there is just no way I'm buying at full.  If these were the VOTC Fett, TAC Luke, Lando w/artic. legs, VTSC Han, and that one fat alien can't remember his name that drove the other Skiff I'd probably buy for full price then.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Last year's UBPs were a real deal to be sure, as when you figured up the cost of all the individual items, they came out to being well above what Target and Hasbro were charging, even going by the prices at that time.  If you look at the sets this year, it comes nowhere close to being a bargain by those standards.

-Skiff:  $22.00 (if it were released individually, they'd sell it under the starfighter assortment)
-Battle Pack five pack: $22.00 (since they were released as such, they'd be priced as such)

That's 44 bucks, which would mean they're charging 26 bucks (at the 70 dollar price) for the Sarlacc and Halloween mask base, which is rigoddamndiculous.  The Christophsis set is a better value using those pricing standards, but still isn't as much of a value as last year's sets:

-AT-AP:  $22.00
-AAT:  $22.00
-6 figures x $7.00:  $42.00
Grand total of $86.00

Last year's sets had a good mix of truly exclusive items in them as well, which this year doesn't really have.  Hoth had the Tower, some decent repaints and kitbashes (Blue coat Han, repaint Derlin, SS Luke, "new" AT-ST Driver), and Endor had the same albeit in lesser numbers (Battle Damaged Biker Scouts, two Ewok repaints, "new" AT-ST Driver), as well as the logs.  This year, the repaints are minimal and, in the case of the Carkoon set, actually worse than their last issue, and the "exclusive" items are an oft-requested creature in a shoddy base, and a repaint of a currently available 22 dollar vehicle.  Not very appealing to collectors due to that, and even less appealing to mom and dad doing Christmas shopping due to the lack of value in buying everything together.  Plus, given Hasbro's obsession with twist ties and rubber bands, half of the figures come out with warped legs or hands anyway.

I should say that, despite my hemming and hawing, I did buy the Christophsis set (at 63 bucks), but there is no way in hell I'm buying the Carkoon set unless it goes to serious clearance prices (like, less than 20 bucks, which is unlikely I know).  Hasbro putting out so much stuff in general with the economy in the state it's in is a sore spot with me anyway, but to put out two "value" box sets and take away all of the value inherent in last year's sets is asinine and uncalled for.  These deserve to go to the clearance aisle and Target and Hasbro deserve to lose money on them.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Thanks for working out the math on these Doc. Yeah, last year we got much better deals and much more useful items and figures. In the end, if I missed out on both of these, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."